Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th February 2021, 10:18   #11
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
How will this work when you want to explore remote areas? As much as I agree EV have a place I feel we should look at the bigger picture. Vehicles used for long distances regularly should stay with ICE power and electric for local or short journeys.

It's emission regulations that are killing ICE, Car manufacturers face fines in the region of €100millions for missing their targets. VW just missed their emission total for 2020 by 0.5g/km and that cost them €121million Hence why they rushed out their new id3 BEV with faulty software to lessen the emission fines. The next iteration of the Euro cat 7 standard due in 2025 will kill off most ICE vehicles as they will never be able to make the lower emission limit of 80g/km.

Jaguar have just scrapped the planned XJ EV replacement too https://todaynewspost.com/auto-news/...ns-an-ev-push/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 16:51   #12
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

I'm wondering how EV's are going to cope with lengthy traffic queues on the M6 on a cold dark wet winters night, drivers fighting for hard shoulder plug-ins!
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 17:39   #13
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertone View Post
I'm wondering how EV's are going to cope with lengthy traffic queues on the M6 on a cold dark wet winters night, drivers fighting for hard shoulder plug-ins!
And the summer when they all have there A/C on in a heat wave.

Something I was reading recently reckoned a lot of cars will have built in generators and this unless they change the rules will be OK for a few more years, apparently as long as the generator does not power the vehicle directly this is aloud.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 20:30   #14
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

As much as we see all this hype about companies going green and car manufacturers going full electric and govt targets etc, the sad reality is i cant see diesels or petrol engines disappearing in countries with vast distances with nothing in between cities like Africa, Australia, South America etc.
You cant tell me you are going to run 100 ton iron ore haul pack trucks, agricultural harvesters etc on electric, these things run 24hrs a day.
Besides that, all these electric cars will require charging stations, where does the
base load power come from? mostly fossil fuel fed power stations.
We had this crazy situation over here in Australia where a local state govt put in these unrealistic emission targets, setup wind power turbines, solar generation.
All was fine until the weather got cloudy and the wind stopped for a few days,
Shut the whole state down for 3 days, cost millions, they ended up having to tap into another states power grid to get up and going again, and guess what, it was base load power from a coal fired power station that saved the day.
Whilst i agree getting rid of pollutants is an admirable goal, the peanuts coming up with these goals have little grasp on the reality of their dreams.
There has to be the technology and a transitional period into these idealistic schemes or there will be severe economic ramifications for all of us consumers.
Unfortunately, many of these social designers are so far removed from every day reality they cant see the wood for the trees.
No one has yet explained where the economic rational is when it takes the same amount of emissions to build an electric car as per a standard fossil fuel car, or
how an electric car that costs twice as much as a fossil fuel car, and needs a new battery every 10 years which costs about half of the original purchase value
is going to have any resale value?
As much as we all want a cleaner world, im afraid the dreamers are putting the cart before the horse at the moment.
Technology will catch up eventually but not right now.
All these lofty goals will do is cripple economies and allow countries with massive manufacturing economies that pay lip service to becoming more environentally compliant huge advantages economically.
Now , if some one can build a cost effective hydrogen generator for cars- now that is another whole matter !!!

Last edited by genpk; 16th February 2021 at 20:36..
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 20:32   #15
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Come back in 10 years time. Doubt that Jaguar will still be around. Just a prediction.

There will be a few marques that will disappear in the coming years, There are quite a few that still have no meaningful battery supply whatsoever even if they buy off the shelf "skateboard platforms" & they certainly wont want to throw (X) amount of £millions in fines if they miss their emission targets manufacturing ICE vehicles.

PHEV's will be on sale after 2030 but they must be able to cover 50 miles on battery power alone and there are not many that can come anywhere near that at present.

Jaguar also missed their 2020 emission targets & have set aside £35million hoping to cover their fines, then there is the problem of their Castle Bromwich plant whether it can be re-purposed to manufacture the new BEV's not to mention they wont be needing 50% of the workforce there. Scary times ahead for OEM car manufacturers.

The Car manufacturers of the future will be more software/electronics/social media based companies with much deeper pockets, The likes of Google, Weibo, Sony, Apple et al will be the new kids on the block with their vast knowledge of software which is essential in BEV's.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 21:02   #16
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
It's emission regulations that are killing ICE, Car manufacturers face fines in the region of €100millions for missing their targets. VW just missed their emission total for 2020 by 0.5g/km and that cost them €121million Hence why they rushed out their new id3 BEV with faulty software to lessen the emission fines. The next iteration of the Euro cat 7 standard due in 2025 will kill off most ICE vehicles as they will never be able to make the lower emission limit of 80g/km.

Jaguar have just scrapped the planned XJ EV replacement too https://todaynewspost.com/auto-news/...ns-an-ev-push/
Shame about the XJ thats a class act car..... XJ no more apart from the current unregistered ones so 21 plates will be the last.... reason they are not SUVs, but they are NOT saying that, but thats the reason
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 22:27   #17
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

I love the way these social designers say “the people loosing jobs will just retrain
into new jobs”
You cant tell me a 50 year old production line worker is going to retrain himself
to be a hi tech computer programer.
On average for every “high tech” job created, 2 old industry jobs will be lost.
With AI ramping up this will accelerate even more.
The bigger question is what will people who have no chance of a meaningful way
to transition to other employment will do?
Capitalism and consumerism relies on people earning money and spending to keep the economy going.
There are govts already talking about different schemes to provide a basic wage subsidy system for the “forgotten” worker population.
There great hope is there is not going to be massive social disruption but as we have already seen,populations around the world are already reacting, resulting in many govts applying more tech to control there populations.
Old 16th February 2021, 23:19   #18
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
And the summer when they all have there A/C on in a heat wave.

Something I was reading recently reckoned a lot of cars will have built in generators and this unless they change the rules will be OK for a few more years, apparently as long as the generator does not power the vehicle directly this is aloud.
That's an interesting thought. If cars can have an onboard generator to power ancillaries why can't said generator be developed to recharge the cars traction batteries? OK not fully emissions free but I'd have thought only a fraction of current internal combustion engines. Could also be a 'get out of jail' card when batteries flat and no plug in in sight.
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 23:46   #19
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post

And this is sound practice?

Greenwash is not the driver of sound research and development, but irrespective of the trend toward EV technology there needs to be thought put into the design of motor vehicles, and not to populist soundbites.

The reality is many people see a car as just another appliance, and those of that mindset won't be resisting the steamroller introduction of EV.

It's a shame as a phased introduction would have made more sense, and certainly allowed for improvements in technology to progress at a sensible pace.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 23:54   #20
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

they already have a type of generator on the hybrid cars with brake regen but that only generates kn braking.
Cant see why when a car is moving at anytime that it could not be able to generate at all times.