Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th October 2020, 08:12   #21
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

The debate re National clutches goes back some time and got quite acrimonious at times.

Andy did my clutch 3-4 years ago -and touch wood all is fine. I provided a Borg and Beck /LUK set for Andy to fit . Following the fit a rubber exhaust mount was not re-fitted when Andy realised this he drove 40 miles to my place to refit it gratis.

Also in chatting he mentioned up till then he had fitted 1200 clutches to MGR cars.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 10:52   #22
Zeeblum
Regular poster

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
When I have seen in the past derogatory comments about said person I was unsure if there was any truth in them seeing how others described him so well. This thread leads me to think those that were derogatory may have had a point.

Changing a clutch is not for the faint hearted and I can understand why people pay to have it done. If you have space, time and willing to buy the tools it is a job that can be done DIY.

Who to use and what parts to use is a mine field.

macafee2
I’m not sure about the minefield.
Over the course of many visits to garages and conversations with a host of mechanics and enthusiasts, it makes a lot of sense using a well known brand, that makes all the clutch components for a specific car. I’m of the belief that LUK also make/supply Borg and Beck?? That they make slave cylinders, master cylinders and the DMF. I’ve got this info from the mechanic who replaced my master and advised me to dig deep next time and replace everything by the same brand so I mitigate any possible issue regarding compatibility. He knows the money I’ve forked out on constant labour intensive issues.
Who made the original clutch components for the Zts and 75s?
Zeeblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 11:10   #23
Zeeblum
Regular poster

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
The debate re National clutches goes back some time and got quite acrimonious at times.

Andy did my clutch 3-4 years ago -and touch wood all is fine. I provided a Borg and Beck /LUK set for Andy to fit . Following the fit a rubber exhaust mount was not re-fitted when Andy realised this he drove 40 miles to my place to refit it gratis.

Also in chatting he mentioned up till then he had fitted 1200 clutches to MGR cars.
I expect there are plenty of occasions that he’s sought to rectify an issue. We all have moments we’ve fallen down a rabbit hole, and had to climb back out.
I for one was impressed by Andy’s jack the car up and do a clutch on your back method. Impressively and worryingly quick. He didn’t fib to me regarding the clutch he was fitting, so I assume he believed in them. Either way, it’s a good time to show face and tend to those jobs where money was acquired from those who needed support afterwards due to complete or partial
failure, when his focus was understandably on worrying issues at home.
I hope I’m not stepping out of line, but I felt taken for a ride and it needn’t remain this way.
Old 13th October 2020, 11:19   #24
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeblum View Post
I’m not sure about the minefield.
Over the course of many visits to garages and conversations with a host of mechanics and enthusiasts, it makes a lot of sense using a well known brand, that makes all the clutch components for a specific car. I’m of the belief that LUK also make/supply Borg and Beck?? That they make slave cylinders, master cylinders and the DMF. I’ve got this info from the mechanic who replaced my master and advised me to dig deep next time and replace everything by the same brand so I mitigate any possible issue regarding compatibility. He knows the money I’ve forked out on constant labour intensive issues.
Who made the original clutch components for the Zts and 75s?
I would normally agree with you regarding the compatibility issues, however, I have read (having an auto it matters little to me other than curiosity), of the issues of the slaves and masters. As I understood it, the plastic masters faired better, due to the metal sleeve wearing out the o ring quicker. A mix and match was a recommended course of action for longevity (one make of clutch with same for slave - if I recall, and a different one for the master). I cannot recall the brands, but it made sense in the post. However this longevity was not a given as manufacturers now use cheaper rubbers etc.

I believe there is a discussion with the original manufacturer of the clutches. But that would be irrelevant now. MGR do not even exist, so there is a chance that the company originally involved with the clutches either do not exist, or are owned by a different company, or just as likely using different materials.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 12:06   #25
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

During his time of fitting the defective clutches he was I believe a trader on this forum .What checks if any are made by management to check of his suitability to be promoted as a bona-vide trader .ie insurance ,competencies etc etc .These questions were asked previously at the time of the Radio Guy saga when once again many members were out of pocket .Lessons should have been learned.

Last edited by tantallon; 13th October 2020 at 12:10..
tantallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 12:08   #26
Zeeblum
Regular poster

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
When I have seen in the past derogatory comments about said person I was unsure if there was any truth in them seeing how others described him so well. This thread leads me to think those that were derogatory may have had a point.

Changing a clutch is not for the faint hearted and I can understand why people pay to have it done. If you have space, time and willing to buy the tools it is a job that can be done DIY.

Who to use and what parts to use is a mine field.
macafee2
I tend to think that was then, this is now. Anytime is a good time to put the right step forward. Enough of them and you can redefine the memories of yesteryear.
Old 13th October 2020, 13:03   #27
Zeeblum
Regular poster

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I would normally agree with you regarding the compatibility issues, however, I have read (having an auto it matters little to me other than curiosity), of the issues of the slaves and masters. As I understood it, the plastic masters faired better, due to the metal sleeve wearing out the o ring quicker. A mix and match was a recommended course of action for longevity (one make of clutch with same for slave - if I recall, and a different one for the master). I cannot recall the brands, but it made sense in the post. However this longevity was not a given as manufacturers now use cheaper rubbers etc.

I believe there is a discussion with the original manufacturer of the clutches. But that would be irrelevant now. MGR do not even exist, so there is a chance that the company originally involved with the clutches either do not exist, or are owned by a different company, or just as likely using different materials.
That’s the thing, I’m not sure they did make them. They may well have used an established supplier?
Old 13th October 2020, 13:07   #28
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
That’s the thing, I’m not sure they did make them. They may well have used an established supplier?

I may be wrong but I’m pretty sure MGR used AP clutches.
Old 13th October 2020, 13:08   #29
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
I'm sorry, I was not implying mgr made them (they didnt). What I was trying to say, was mgr do not even exist any longer, and it is conceivable that the clutch manufacturer/supplier (likely more than one), either do not exist, or exist in a different guise(eg in name only but owned by a different, perhaps cheaper company, like draper or stanley are for instance)

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 13:12   #30
Zeeblum
Regular poster

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantallon View Post
During his time of fitting the defective clutches he was I believe a trader on this forum .What checks if any are made by management to check of his suitability to be promoted as a bona-vide trader .ie insurance ,competencies etc etc .These questions were asked previously at the time of the Radio Guy saga when once again many members were out of pocket .Lessons should have been learned.
A valuable question!!