Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd December 2017, 20:01   #31
flying_pig
I believe i can fly

MG ZT-T

Although they have a 30 year perforation warranty they still rust badly seen 11 plate c class with bubbling arches
flying_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2017, 09:38   #32
aguy
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6

I got shot of my Rover 75 around 12 months ago for personal reasons.

I can honestly say if I had a garage or even a drive ( I have to park in a community area) I would have kept it.

I'll be 78 in April and have driven more cars than I care to remember but the 75 is my favourite.

I have regular visits to Doctors and Chemists these days because parts of me are wearing out and need constant attention and I would say the old Rover/MG's are the same.
Give them the treatment they need, don't neglect them and they will be good for many years yet. Just like me I hope.

Of course it helps greatly if you can do at least some of the work yourself as it can prove an expensive hobby otherwise.

I had a Merc 190E 2.6 Auto many years ago and It was a fantastic car, built like a tank. The C class followed but I believe they were made in South Africa and Merc had lots and lots of bodywork issues.
I think it's fair to say you'd have to go back to the 80's to find the last 'properly built' Merc.

Anyway. I don't come on here too often these days but it's nice to contribute now and again.
Have a lovely Christmas all of you and keep working on these lovely cars. Most of you have real head turners and are to be congratulated on that. Happy new year too.

Harry
Old 24th December 2017, 15:42   #33
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguy View Post
I got shot of my Rover 75 around 12 months ago for personal reasons.

I can honestly say if I had a garage or even a drive ( I have to park in a community area) I would have kept it.

I'll be 78 in April and have driven more cars than I care to remember but the 75 is my favourite.

I have regular visits to Doctors and Chemists these days because parts of me are wearing out and need constant attention and I would say the old Rover/MG's are the same.
Give them the treatment they need, don't neglect them and they will be good for many years yet. Just like me I hope.

Of course it helps greatly if you can do at least some of the work yourself as it can prove an expensive hobby otherwise.

I had a Merc 190E 2.6 Auto many years ago and It was a fantastic car, built like a tank. The C class followed but I believe they were made in South Africa and Merc had lots and lots of bodywork issues.
I think it's fair to say you'd have to go back to the 80's to find the last 'properly built' Merc.

Anyway. I don't come on here too often these days but it's nice to contribute now and again.
Have a lovely Christmas all of you and keep working on these lovely cars. Most of you have real head turners and are to be congratulated on that. Happy new year too.

Harry
Merry Christmas to you too, how ever Mercedes benz stopped making great cars in the late sixties, rust rust rust, as for mechanical quality no longer there as most parts replaced by poor quality electronic counter parts NOT made in Germany. Would I buy one?, no wouldn;t have one if given free, best most reliable cars by miles, are Japanese, Honda my favourite mark, wonder what Rover might have been under Honda ownership.?
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2017, 06:27   #34
NigelOBB
This is my second home

04 Rover 75 Contemporary SE - 53 Rover 75 Connoisseur -94 Mercedes W140 - 72 VW Beetle 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan63 View Post
Merc.....have major rust issues?

Not all of them by any means. Pre 2002/3 maybe but mine is 2004 and completely rust free, in common with all the other post 2002/3. The "rusty Merc" myth is about as ill informed as the "all Rover 75 blow the head gasket at the drop of a hat.

Totally agree, but between 90-2002 they where made of recycled Steel and all went in same spots after about 3-5 years.. the dark period when the yanks had overriding control also nearly killed the company with their cost cutting..
I’ve had 190s and S classes.. the latter for a top end car are money pits. I’ve still got my w140 s guard..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

NigelOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 13:11   #35
steveharvey2001
Loves to post

Mini Cooper SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelOBB View Post
It’s amazing the number of people who are suckered into the buy new and keep for 3 years. As they think after that it’s going to fall apart.
Please let them keep thinking this .. we need punters to keep buying* new, otherwise there won't be any quality used cars for the informed and discerning buyers to choose from.

Once "Joe Sixpack" starts to understand the bathtub curve, the game will be up !

As I work in the OEM supply chain, 100% of my income comes from new car purchases, so I have another interest in this..

* Includes PCP

Last edited by steveharvey2001; 31st December 2017 at 13:44..
steveharvey2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 15:54   #36
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

I cant wait to get rid of the ZT.

The quality is shocking, and they are really starting to show their age now.

Only reason I keep it is that I can use it to drive to places like Bosnia/Albania/etc and if it gets nicked not be down £14k if I had a VW CC or an Insignia VXR Estate.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 16:03   #37
Yorkshire GOC

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post

Only reason I keep it is that I can use it to drive to places like Bosnia/Albania/etc and if it gets nicked not be down £14k if I had a VW CC or an Insignia VXR Estate.
I will have your 260 SE then - as the quality is that poor the price will be reasonable

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 16:04   #38
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post

Hi.
Come on be reasonable, the 75 & ZT is now heading for 13 years since production end. Would a Dagenham dustbin or something from Ellesmere Port be as long lived as the 75 or ZT.
These MGR's have to be the best out of the the UK at the time, nothing comes close. OK they have niggles and some rather idiosyncratic things that are infuriating but for goodness sake they don't deserve the comment "The quality is shocking" they'd all be dead if that was the case and you wouldn't be driving to Eastern Europe in one would you?
I'd still have a 75 if I was fitter, younger and had a garage.

Last edited by murphyv310; 31st December 2017 at 16:07..
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 16:10   #39
Yorkshire GOC

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
Come on be reasonable, the 75 & ZT is now heading for 13 years since production end. Would a Dagenham dustbin or something from Ellesmere Port be as long lived as the 75 or ZT.
These MGR's have to be the best out of the the UK at the time, nothing comes close. OK they have niggles and some rather idiosyncratic things that are infuriating but for goodness sake they don't deserve the comment "The quality is shocking" they'd all be dead if that was the case and you wouldn't be driving to Eastern Europe in one would you?
I'd still have a 75 if I was fitter, younger and had a garage.
I think he is having a little jest - if not the 260SE will be for sale soon

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 16:23   #40
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

No jesting!

The 260 is even worse than the regular production cars!

Most of them were TVR style, hand cobbled in the factory. Dont get me wrong, the 260 is a different beast, you can forgive the rubbishness when you fire it up, and of course it was engineered a lot better in terms of the suspension and running gear, but the rest of the car is still worse than the regular cars.

Not sure I will ever sell the 260, they only made about 4 SE's Mk2's Saloons in Solar red, and I spent a lot of time waiting for the right one to come up.

I hate rattles its one of my pet hates. My friend has a Passat B6 Estate I think, and whenever Im a passenger in it, the interior is pin drop silent. No creaks, no rattles, nothing. OK, its started to rust around the tailgate and there is other stuff wrong with it, but in terms of the fit and quality, I hate the MGs and Rovers for that.

Last edited by T16; 31st December 2017 at 16:25..
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote