Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th January 2018, 16:28   #61
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
Sean is a non uk seller , he lives in Canada? He's definitely not based in the UK himself
Absolutely Jamie.
This is of course where some of the problems can rear their heads.
You have little safety when buying from a seller outwith the EU, any issues and you have to keep praying it will be resolved. Since Jeff has a new career I do believe there is support from another person/business but is it well known or am I wrong?
I firmly believe there is an opening for a UK based company to do this but bear in mind it is like my trade dying, there are less and less cars of the type you can fit these head units to around. All car manufacturers have their own designs of headunits now and they get upgrades on every face lift they do, the after-market stuff is dying due to the umpteen variations needed now and older cars reducing in numbers.
Old 4th January 2018, 16:34   #62
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
I just bought a unit from ebay for my Focus. It was £170 and a perfect fit. Sat nav voice is quiet on max level and the radio reception can jump. Been onto the seller and they have given me a few things to try. Because I have purchased it through ebay and Paypal if this fix does not work i will return the unit via ebay.
These units are by in large cheap nasty units and no way would I buy one away from a site like ebay after reading all the faults and problems on here over the last few years.
No real comeback is there to be honest that can sort it quickly.
Agreed.
The thing is too folk don't understand the word repair. When I was employed in the "trade" I fixed countless Ford & Vauxhall car stereos, parts were easy as were manuals. In my 5 years in Sony again no issues with parts and service info. Today its dreadful, no doubt by our obsession with cheapness. We can do it here and 100 times better than any Chinese manufacturer. We give the back up and will supply parts and service for at least 7 years after a model is out of production.

I still have new parts for 60 and 70 year old radios and believe it or not It is easier to find bit for a 1960 Murphy TV than a 2 year old car headunit. Tells a tale doesn't it
Old 5th January 2018, 08:09   #63
7T5
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Agreed.
The thing is too folk don't understand the word repair. When I was employed in the "trade" I fixed countless Ford & Vauxhall car stereos, parts were easy as were manuals. In my 5 years in Sony again no issues with parts and service info. Today its dreadful, no doubt by our obsession with cheapness. We can do it here and 100 times better than any Chinese manufacturer. We give the back up and will supply parts and service for at least 7 years after a model is out of production.

I still have new parts for 60 and 70 year old radios and believe it or not It is easier to find bit for a 1960 Murphy TV than a 2 year old car headunit. Tells a tale doesn't it
A chap in Fife still fixes old car radios. Mate is getting his one sorted from his SD3 as soon as he can get it to him. I love getting stuff fixed, sick of this throw away culture now.
7T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 08:27   #64
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7T5 View Post
A chap in Fife still fixes old car radios. Mate is getting his one sorted from his SD3 as soon as he can get it to him. I love getting stuff fixed, sick of this throw away culture now.
Norman Raeburn from Leven. He is a very good friend of mine. Like Norman I'll look at older stuff as at least you have half a chance of repairing the item whereas the modern stuff has no service info or readily available parts. It's all board replacement now and no component level repairs that the likes of myself and Norman were trained to do, we diagnosed faults, a child can swap swap boards!!!
Old 5th January 2018, 09:08   #65
7T5
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Norman Raeburn from Leven. He is a very good friend of mine. Like Norman I'll look at older stuff as at least you have half a chance of repairing the item whereas the modern stuff has no service info or readily available parts. It's all board replacement now and no component level repairs that the likes of myself and Norman were trained to do, we diagnosed faults, a child can swap swap boards!!!
I'm sure that's the chap. My mate works for a dealership and they got him to fix something before. He mentioned an issued with the tape deck in his SD3 and Norman knew what the fault would be straight away.
7T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 09:58   #66
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7T5 View Post
I'm sure that's the chap. My mate works for a dealership and they got him to fix something before. He mentioned an issued with the tape deck in his SD3 and Norman knew what the fault would be straight away.
Hi.
Norman is a good bloke, one of the very few left doing any repairs in the trade, he is having a clearout and I'll be taking a couple of 50's Console 405 line TV's off him after Anne and myself are fixed sometime in the summertime.
Why not point some here with older sets to him, he still has a proper functional workshop unlike myself with my shed, although well enough equipped it is only a hobby now since I closed my own service department in 2006.
I would doubt he would be interested in the Chinese sets, like myself he has had so many problems with obtaining spares and info. The other place that did work again a good friend Bob Baird in Sorn Ayrshire is also closed, the main reason is Bob is his wife's carer who had a stroke and is now registered blind. It was also a good going business but latterly there was little work, Bob though was very much a man who would be insistent with importers who had no back up with spares and info, often though it was like hitting your head off a brick wall.
Old 11th January 2018, 18:53   #67
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Bump.

Has anybody heard anything else about this? Did anybody ever get the parts that they ordered? Only asking because my MG7 lights still haven't arrived yet.
Old 11th January 2018, 19:10   #68
gazcaz
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT

Cool

Where is he i have emailed him with issues with my unit playing up and nothing not happy !!!!!!!!!!

234th of 2,834 Trophy Blue ZT 190 + Saloons Produced
14th of 27 MG ZTs Produced on 27-09-2001

Last edited by gazcaz; 11th January 2018 at 19:44..
gazcaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 20:08   #69
Walter
Posted a thing or two

zebadee

Red face Pioneer better option .

From when first joined this club looked at these Chinese sets but opted for well known brand at same costs, still don't know why Canadian/Chinese ever was popular onsite
Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 00:23   #70
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Quote:
I think I’ve heard of him. Leven is only 15-20 min from me so If you need anything collected etc let me know. Id be happy to help.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote