Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th January 2018, 15:51   #131
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

These non repairable electronics is nothing new. I have a TV in my garage that 1 week out of warranty the screen went blank and nobody was even interested in looking at it. One guy just said bin it and get a new one

If the TV was £150 I would agree with him but it was over £700 and was from a reputable manufacturer from a high street retailer.

We want lots of features on our in car units so I suppose we either pay a lot more money or put up with the fact they are made in China and are unlikely to last more than a few years.

Even OEM units suffer with this poor reliability problems so don't think I is unique to us.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 16:12   #132
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
These non repairable electronics is nothing new. I have a TV in my garage that 1 week out of warranty the screen went blank and nobody was even interested in looking at it. One guy just said bin it and get a new one

If the TV was £150 I would agree with him but it was over £700 and was from a reputable manufacturer from a high street retailer.

We want lots of features on our in car units so I suppose we either pay a lot more money or put up with the fact they are made in China and are unlikely to last more than a few years.

Even OEM units suffer with this poor reliability problems so don't think I is unique to us.
Ref: TV.
All you need to do is contact the retailer and quote the 6 year warranty rule, being a reputable manufacturer from a high street retailer you shouldn't have a problem, you have legal rights for up to 6 years.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 16:52   #133
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
All you need to do is contact the retailer and quote the 6 year warranty rule, being a reputable manufacturer from a high street retailer you shouldn't have a problem, you have legal rights for up to 6 years.
Absolutely correct but only five in Scotland I believe. Everyone spending money on extended warranties are wasting their money. You’ll need to keep the receipt though
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 17:18   #134
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Anyone had any luck claiming a repair with this 7 year rule?

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 17:25   #135
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Fairly Sure there isn't any European law that says goods must work for at least six years, or that you have a right to repair, refund or replacement during this period , but EU law does say everything must have at least 2 yrs.

Another thing we may lose with brexit

But the 6 years does apply under a law known as the Statutes of Limitations which seems to cover the consumer rights act and the sale of goods act where the consumer has to prove that any problem was down to a fault or issue at the manufacturer, as opposed to wear and tear or misuse.
These constaints are whether you can prove any fault is inherant rather than down to wear and tear or misuse .

C
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 17:26   #136
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post

Richer sounds give a 6 year guarantee for 10% of the purchase price.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 17:30   #137
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
it is neither a 6 year (5 in Scotland) warranty nor a rule, and it does not apply to all goods. Be wary of this. I do not know (nor claim to know) the ins and outs of it, but it is based on the consumer rights act. However in saying that, there is some EU directive that states all consumer goods purchased via an EU retailer must have a 2 year warranty. I am not sure how this works, but when working in retail, we were told (around 2012) that if the customer mentioned it, or insisted on a warranty claim, that we could send it off for investigation and possible repair. Since it was not a law but more of a guide, it could be a grey area in the UK. Remember too, replacement is not a right, the retailer has rights also, especially after a period of time (used to have people demand replacements after 10 months of obviously heavy use of a pocket camera. Scratched and sticky! lol)

The term to use though and to quote when initially making a complaint is expected reasonable life of a product. (In the instance of the TV, I seem to recall reading something like 4 years was deemed to be reasonable, whereas a fridge was 6. But do not quote me, though, as there were quite a number of consumer goods listed). Other factors were incorporated in calculating these things (and were along with the times, to be taken as a guide only), like fashion and technological advancement , eg mobile 'phones.

The drawback about all of this though, is that if the fault initially appears after 6 months, it is the onus of the consumer to prove that it is down to a manufacturing defect. If it appeared before 6 months, and was repaired, then that can be used as proof that it is a manufacturing defect and the retailer will be responsible for up to the reasonably expected life of the item.

For the TV THIS LINK may be of use.

I am not sure any of these rules, regulations, laws and rights will have any relevance to Radioguy's products. Perhaps I am wrong, but since he is based in Canada, and the products come via Hong Kong, the rights are unlikely to apply in full. But then, I am sure vat will not apply on the product, but import duty, and vat on that may be applicable. There may also be another tax payable too if the goods can be sourced in the home country too.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 17:35   #138
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Correct Wes.
As an old TV Engineer and also having my own business for some years I can confirm this. There has been some changes in the the last couple of years.
I will say this though. Unfortunately it is the retailer that has to collect the tab not the manufacturer which is totally wrong. Often these TV sets and yes ICE as well are poorly designed, also fitted with cheap and poor quality Chinese components, EG Electrolytic capacitors fail and cause other problems, it is then down to the retailer to effect a fix with no manufacturers support or payment for engineers time or parts. In effect the retailer is doing a free repair and the maker gets off scot free for a rubbish product.

Last edited by murphyv310; 19th January 2018 at 17:37..
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 17:42   #139
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
it is neither a 6 year (5 in Scotland) warranty nor a rule, and it does not apply to all goods. Be wary of this. I do not know (nor claim to know) the ins and outs of it, but it is based on the consumer rights act. However in saying that, there is some EU directive that states all consumer goods purchased via an EU retailer must have a 2 year warranty. I am not sure how this works, but when working in retail, we were told (around 2012) that if the customer mentioned it, or insisted on a warranty claim, that we could send it off for investigation and possible repair. Since it was not a law but more of a guide, it could be a grey area in the UK. Remember too, replacement is not a right, the retailer has rights also, especially after a period of time (used to have people demand replacements after 10 months of obviously heavy use of a pocket camera. Scratched and sticky! lol)

The term to use though and to quote when initially making a complaint is expected reasonable life of a product. (In the instance of the TV, I seem to recall reading something like 4 years was deemed to be reasonable, whereas a fridge was 6. But do not quote me, though, as there were quite a number of consumer goods listed). Other factors were incorporated in calculating these things (and were along with the times, to be taken as a guide only), like fashion and technological advancement , eg mobile 'phones.

The drawback about all of this though, is that if the fault initially appears after 6 months, it is the onus of the consumer to prove that it is down to a manufacturing defect. If it appeared before 6 months, and was repaired, then that can be used as proof that it is a manufacturing defect and the retailer will be responsible for up to the reasonably expected life of the item.

For the TV THIS LINK may be of use.

I am not sure any of these rules, regulations, laws and rights will have any relevance to Radioguy's products. Perhaps I am wrong, but since he is based in Canada, and the products come via Hong Kong, the rights are unlikely to apply in full. But then, I am sure vat will not apply on the product, but import duty, and vat on that may be applicable. There may also be another tax payable too if the goods can be sourced in the home country too.
It's all in the SOGA (Sale of goods act) the 6 and 5 year rule applies (certainly with what we called "Brown goods"), as a retailer it should be known to staff and suitable training should be done so staff know how to work with it.
Buying outwith the EU and you have very little comeback, if the foreign retailer is decent then perhaps you'll get help.

Don't forget the rules "were" that a manufacturer was obliged to supply spares for a minimum of 7 years............... Buy from China, then you out on a limb as they don't

Last edited by murphyv310; 19th January 2018 at 17:47..
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 18:15   #140
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
Richer sounds give a 6 year guarantee for 10% of the purchase price.
Not quite correct... Richer sounds give a six year guarantee for free on pretty much all of their Tv's. The 10% guarantee is on equipment that does not qualify for a free guarantee and even then if you have not claimed on the guarantee in the six years you can take your certificate back and get a full refund there and then so if you have no problems it costs you nothing.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote