Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th January 2018, 18:37   #141
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
anyone had any luck claiming a repair with this 7 year rule?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
fairly sure there isn't any european law that says goods must work for at least six years, or that you have a right to repair, refund or replacement during this period , but eu law does say everything must have at least 2 yrs.

Another thing we may lose with brexit :d:d

but the 6 years does apply under a law known as the statutes of limitations which seems to cover the consumer rights act and the sale of goods act where the consumer has to prove that any problem was down to a fault or issue at the manufacturer, as opposed to wear and tear or misuse.
These constaints are whether you can prove any fault is inherant rather than down to wear and tear or misuse .

C
Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
it is neither a 6 year (5 in scotland) warranty nor a rule, and it does not apply to all goods. Be wary of this. I do not know (nor claim to know) the ins and outs of it, but it is based on the consumer rights act. However in saying that, there is some eu directive that states all consumer goods purchased via an eu retailer must have a 2 year warranty. I am not sure how this works, but when working in retail, we were told (around 2012) that if the customer mentioned it, or insisted on a warranty claim, that we could send it off for investigation and possible repair. Since it was not a law but more of a guide, it could be a grey area in the uk. Remember too, replacement is not a right, the retailer has rights also, especially after a period of time (used to have people demand replacements after 10 months of obviously heavy use of a pocket camera. Scratched and sticky! Lol)

the term to use though and to quote when initially making a complaint is expected reasonable life of a product. (in the instance of the tv, i seem to recall reading something like 4 years was deemed to be reasonable, whereas a fridge was 6. But do not quote me, though, as there were quite a number of consumer goods listed). Other factors were incorporated in calculating these things (and were along with the times, to be taken as a guide only), like fashion and technological advancement , eg mobile 'phones.

The drawback about all of this though, is that if the fault initially appears after 6 months, it is the onus of the consumer to prove that it is down to a manufacturing defect. If it appeared before 6 months, and was repaired, then that can be used as proof that it is a manufacturing defect and the retailer will be responsible for up to the reasonably expected life of the item.

For the tv this link may be of use.

I am not sure any of these rules, regulations, laws and rights will have any relevance to radioguy's products. Perhaps i am wrong, but since he is based in canada, and the products come via hong kong, the rights are unlikely to apply in full. But then, i am sure vat will not apply on the product, but import duty, and vat on that may be applicable. There may also be another tax payable too if the goods can be sourced in the home country too.
I have worked in retail long enough to know what I'm doing, Ref: TV advice given etc. I'm certainly not going to get in another debate over the rules and regulations surrounding retail.

Us retail managers are also customers, we too are real people who also experience the same problems as you customers do (I know its hard to believe sometimes, but we do).
Joking aside, I have used the 6 year warranty right on two occasions, once on a electric cooker which was 10 months out of warranty, and once on a flat screen TV which was 23 months out of warranty. I received a full refund on both claims, both settled in less than 14 days.

Ref: Radioguy, Faulty goods, or goods not received.
I would advise members to contact their bank, credit/debit card provider. Your bank and card provider will offer different schemes where Chargebacks and claiming under section 75 have different guidelines, so its always best to make contact with them and ask first. Its all very straight forward, can be time consuming, but it will be worth it in the end.

There we go, I've kept it nice and short for everyone, plus it doesn't have to be complicated as some like to make out.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 18:55   #142
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
It's all in the SOGA (Sale of goods act) the 6 and 5 year rule applies (certainly with what we called "Brown goods"), as a retailer it should be known to staff and suitable training should be done so staff know how to work with it.
Buying outwith the EU and you have very little comeback, if the foreign retailer is decent then perhaps you'll get help.

Don't forget the rules "were" that a manufacturer was obliged to supply spares for a minimum of 7 years............... Buy from China, then you out on a limb as they don't
There may be differences here and in Scotland (England maybe) . maybe it was just the way I was 'trained' by the retailer to avoid paying out. The sale of goods act did not give rights to repair or replacement under certain conditions (outside manufacturer guarantee). It gave the consumer the right to complain and claim for a partial refund if the goods have been proven by the consumer to not be suitable for a reasonable expected lifetime. The last bit is important (and in my view actually relevant to this thread and the double din stereo) .

would it be reasonable to expect a £150 celcus 42 inch TV to last as long as a £1500 Sony 42 inch one? In saying that, a TV is a TV and should be expected to last for said reasonable amount of time. Thing is taking a retailer to court to be compensated for the time not received on a £150 TV would not be worth it (although if you win, you would receive costs paid) for both parties. However it is more likely to go in your favour with a 1500 one. That is your right as I was taught by my employer (who of course may have been biased) . but you will only have the right to claim for the remainder of this reasonably expected time period.

I know it changed due to the EU directive (not a law) , around 2010-2012 time, regarding consumer rights and warranties. I cannot find anything in the sale of goods online about the 6 year 'warranty'. (from a reliable source - it is all tabloid sites - with the daily mail one rather funny in its misleading headlines).

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 18:58   #143
mgzrjake
Loves to post

MG ZTT 135+ diesel, MGZS 180 saloon MK2

Default Re all posts

This really has been a very good thread and all posts are positive and to a wide varied point, sadly the point is he’s not that fussed as we are yet to see a positive reply from the man, who’s sitting at home feet up with everybody’s money, possibly on a large malt whiskey as well.

Ps can anyone send me a tenner and I’ll see you right in April
mgzrjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 19:25   #144
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Joking aside, I have used the 6 year warranty right on two occasions, once on a electric cooker which was 10 months out of warranty, and once on a flat screen TV which was 23 months out of warranty. I received a full refund on both claims, both settled in less than 14 days.
I know it's off topic but did you have any problems getting a refund?

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 19:30   #145
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
I have worked in retail long enough to know what I'm doing, Ref: TV advice given etc. I'm certainly not going to get in another debate over the rules and regulations surrounding retail.

Us retail managers are also customers, we too are real people who also experience the same problems as you customers do (I know its hard to believe sometimes, but we do).
The point I was trying to get across, (badly I happily admit) was the importance of the term reasonable expected time (for the goods purchased) and to hint at a relevance with the double dins too, ie they will not be expected to last 6 years. Expected life of a delicate electronic piece of equipment will not be the same as a static piece of equipment that does not move to one that is subject to large differences in temperature and humidity etc.

You were lucky to get full refunds for both of those items, you are not entitled to that here. Only entitled to claim for a partial refund for the remainder of the expected reasonable life if proven to be a manufacturing defect. But it is not worth the negative publicity to a retailer (or etailer ) or cost to fight it though.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 20:55   #146
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
I know it's off topic but did you have any problems getting a refund?
It will depend on the retailer's 'Out of Warranty' claim procedure, the large retailers will have their own warranty claims team which does make the whole procedure very straightforward. Some retailers will even appoint their own engineer, or a contracted engineer to inspect the product at you home address at no cost to you. You also have the option to appoint your own independent engineer to have the fault diagnosed, the retailer will reimburse you these costs once the fault has been diagnosed.

Both times we used the retailers appointed engineer, and both times the faults were diagnosed on the spot at our home. The electric cooker suffered a blown element which further damaged other internal components, I already knew this as I could see parts of the swollen blown split element poking through the rear of the cooker.

The TV suffered a failed backlight inverter board, which is meant to be a common fault with modern flat screen TV's (the TV had no picture, but had sound). Once the retailer received the engineers report and a decision was made, we were then offered a replacement or refund. We were never offered a repair, the cooker was diagnosed as dangerous by the engineer, and the TV was uneconomical to repair. I hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
The point I was trying to get across, (badly I happily admit) was the importance of the term reasonable expected time (for the goods purchased) and to hint at a relevance with the double dins too, ie they will not be expected to last 6 years. Expected life of a delicate electronic piece of equipment will not be the same as a static piece of equipment that does not move to one that is subject to large differences in temperature and humidity etc.

You were lucky to get full refunds for both of those items, you are not entitled to that here. Only entitled to claim for a partial refund for the remainder of the expected reasonable life if proven to be a manufacturing defect. But it is not worth the negative publicity to a retailer (or etailer ) or cost to fight it though.
Hi Alan, I'm not sure what you are suggesting, but I think you may have misunderstood.
I've only made reference to the 6 year rule regarding member SCP440 TV problem, not about car stereo's. Read Post~132

Thanks.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 21:10   #147
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

The simple fact is that our electronics industry and the Radio & TV manufacturers would never in the world trade like the Chinese. We gave technical training to engineers, had a proper spares network, service manuals and a guarantee of parts for 7 years plus. Even the Japs had to reorganise how they traded to get into the British market.
All we want now is cheap cheap cheap, so you get what you pay for.
in 1967 a Bush CTV25 colour set was the same price as a Mini 850, so who would pay £14000 on a telly now?

I'm happy to post up all my certificates and company training info.
Old 19th January 2018, 22:16   #148
Best_of_British
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer & Arden Green Project

148 posts 1 reply from Sean that appears to be lies and and a few from Reebs not to write him off yet. Please keep on topic as my posts are being deleted on other treads. Reebs please moderate and rstore our faith in trusted trader.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Best_of_British is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 22:19   #149
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best_of_British View Post
148 posts 1 reply from Sean that appears to be lies and and a few from Reebs not to write him off yet. Please keep on topic as my posts are being deleted on other treads. Reebs please moderate and rstore our faith in trusted trader.

Sorry, you're quite correct. This is how the true issue gets blurred. I have deleted my off topic post. I think there is only one.

Nige

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Ennine; 19th January 2018 at 22:22..
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 22:24   #150
Best_of_British
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer & Arden Green Project

Nige you are an enthusiast, no apology needed. Just answers and comunication, silence is ominous. Moderators should moderate but deleting valid point on other thread is heavy censorship and pro trader while kicking members out of pocket in the teeth. If I am out of order please answer questions and I will wind my neck in.

Best_of_British is offline   Reply With Quote