Notices

Old 22nd January 2018, 21:16   #1
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts
Default A year with the Panda

Hi.
It's nearly a year since I saw MFL depart from my home.
I was in a once in a lifetime situation to take money from a pension and buy a more recent car.
I did lots of research but didn't want a car from the far east. OK they are generally well put together and reliable but the spares prices are way OTT even for simple things.
I decided on a 2014 Fiat Panda lounge 1.2 with the bullet proof FIRE engine.
A couple of niggles were fixed which was down to the poor dealer (Parks, just ask Jim Jameson) I put the issues right for little cost.
There has been no problems since and the car passed it's second MOT today with no problem.
I also had to use the car in really bad conditions last week and because it is quite narrow I could squeeze between other cars that were stuck due to driver incompetence and poor traction.
I'm more than happy with the Panda and would recommend it, also a recent drive in a Cross version I would say it is a very capable 4x4 and in many ways superior to a Discovery.
Old 22nd January 2018, 21:35   #2
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
It's nearly a year since I saw MFL depart from my home.
I was in a once in a lifetime situation to take money from a pension and buy a more recent car.
I did lots of research but didn't want a car from the far east. OK they are generally well put together and reliable but the spares prices are way OTT even for simple things.
I decided on a 2014 Fiat Panda lounge 1.2 with the bullet proof FIRE engine.
A couple of niggles were fixed which was down to the poor dealer (Parks, just ask Jim Jameson) I put the issues right for little cost.
There has been no problems since and the car passed it's second MOT today with no problem.
I also had to use the car in really bad conditions last week and because it is quite narrow I could squeeze between other cars that were stuck due to driver incompetence and poor traction.
I'm more than happy with the Panda and would recommend it, also a recent drive in a Cross version I would say it is a very capable 4x4 and in many ways superior to a Discovery.
Glad your car choice worked well. Always a gamble when you change - that why I keep my good cars for long periods.

And I know what you mean about the Cross vs a Discovery - I had LR’s for many years and was humbled once on the Pink Elephant off road course in Glos. by a lightweight Suzuki Vitara. Whereas my Discovery was very capable it could get bogged down whereas the Vitara was so light it seemed to skip ovor the obstacles

Quite a revelation.

One very capable small 4x4 I have been told about is the Daihatsu Terrios.

Have to admit to being quite tempted. Love the ZTT but the wet weather of late and us out in the sticks can make things tricky.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 06:25   #3
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

The car is doing a good job for you! The early FIRE engines were none interference too..

The Fiat diesel in the corsa is prone to cam chain failure and it looks a real nightmare to renew, sump off etc.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 08:16   #4
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
The car is doing a good job for you! The early FIRE engines were none interference too..

The Fiat diesel in the corsa is prone to cam chain failure and it looks a real nightmare to renew, sump off etc.
Hi.
Indeed I have read about the timing chain issue on some 1.3 Multijet engines.
Allegedly the problem has been sorted with a couple of modifications, also Fiat have said that the use of the correct oil is a must and most cases have been put down to non franchised service garages or DIY types using the wrong oil and of course not doing the oil change within the mileage or time. At least with a chain it gets noisy rather than a belt that gives no warning.
The MG3 too has a chain issue and again it was modified about three years ago, it has a specific oil requirement as well and our dealer was very good in telling us the importance of using the right oil when Emma bought hers even down to any topping up.

This version of the Fire engine has VVT so sadly is an interference type, it runs over 11:1 compression ratio, I'll be fitting a belt kit this year for piece of mind.

Last edited by murphyv310; 23rd January 2018 at 08:53..
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 12:54   #5
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

See this clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgn2AG3WY-8
Old 23rd January 2018, 16:47   #6
NigelOBB
This is my second home

04 Rover 75 Contemporary SE - 53 Rover 75 Connoisseur -94 Mercedes W140 - 72 VW Beetle 1300

I bought a Panda 4x4 from an auction in the 80s, to use when I went fishing. It was very niffty off road.. it replaced a Mitsubishi Colt 4x4 that dissolved. It even had a low range box lol..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

NigelOBB is offline   Reply With Quote