Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th January 2018, 19:13   #61
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

That's interesting ^ have been reading up on 3 cylinder engines in particular and how the engineering problems were those of balance, i.e. while cylinder 1 on the up cylinder 3 is forcing down, I believe that the trick is to balance the crank to counter it.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 19:14   #62
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Update on the noisy heater fan.

Today was the day for Renault to diagnose my noisy heater fan, and....... still the problem goes undiagnosed.

Renault want me to commit to a potential £500 bill at the end of the diagnosis. Renault had my Dacia the whole day today, and all they would do it take off the scuttle vent panel to confirm leave's were present.

Obviously leaves are not covered under warranty, and they 'reckon' I have leaves in the heater fan box area. They want me to commit to a £500 charge for labour so they can dismantle the dashboard and correctly diagnose the problem.

If they find no leaves, then they will test the fan for faults. If a fault with the fan is found, then the warranty will cover the labour costs and a replacement fan. BUT! If they find leaves present in the fan heater area, then I'm faced with a large £500+ bill.

I've owned 30+ vehicles and never have I had leaves in the heater fan box that causes the heater to give a loud drone like noise. Normally if a leaf gets sucked into the vent you hear a ticking sound for a short time and then the leaf gets blown out.

What made me laugh was... The 2017 Renault Twingo I was given as a courtesy car had the very same heater controls and fan system as the Dacia, this heater fan whistled, it was more annoying than my droning Stepway heater. LOL

So as it stands, I dont know whether we have leaves in the system or a failing heater fan... or both.

I feel like I am driving a leaf catcher, not a Dacia.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 19:18   #63
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi, doesn't the air intake to the heater blower go through the pollen filter? or have I lost the plot
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 19:25   #64
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
That's interesting ^ have been reading up on 3 cylinder engines in particular and how the engineering problems were those of balance, i.e. while cylinder 1 on the up cylinder 3 is forcing down, I believe that the trick is to balance the crank to counter it.
Hi.
The answer is to put each crank web at 120 degrees. That reduces vibration to an extent, a balancer shaft does help but it uses power so self depreciating.
Most vibration is below 900rpm to be fair.
What I don't get is why they don't make twin pot boxer units. The 602cc Citroen 2CV & Dyane unit was good up to 7000rpm and it was OHV.
Old 30th January 2018, 19:28   #65
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Update on the noisy heater fan.

Today was the day for Renault to diagnose my noisy heater fan, and....... still the problem goes undiagnosed.

Renault want me to commit to a potential £500 bill at the end of the diagnosis. Renault had my Dacia the whole day today, and all they would do it take off the scuttle vent panel to confirm leave's were present.

Obviously leaves are not covered under warranty, and they 'reckon' I have leaves in the heater fan box area. They want me to commit to a £500 charge for labour so they can dismantle the dashboard and correctly diagnose the problem.

If they find no leaves, then they will test the fan for faults. If a fault with the fan is found, then the warranty will cover the labour costs and a replacement fan. BUT! If they find leaves present in the fan heater area, then I'm faced with a large £500+ bill.

I've owned 30+ vehicles and never have I had leaves in the heater fan box that causes the heater to give a loud drone like noise. Normally if a leaf gets sucked into the vent you hear a ticking sound for a short time and then the leaf gets blown out.

What made me laugh was... The 2017 Renault Twingo I was given as a courtesy car had the very same heater controls and fan system as the Dacia, this heater fan whistled, it was more annoying than my droning Stepway heater. LOL

So as it stands, I dont know whether we have leaves in the system or a failing heater fan... or both.

I feel like I am driving a leaf catcher, not a Dacia.
The fan is after the pollen filter so they are stringing you on Wes as no leafs can possibly get to the fan.
Go back and threaten them with trading standards.

***************** Crossed with Rustymotor, absolutely correct *********************

Last edited by murphyv310; 30th January 2018 at 20:01..
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 20:01   #66
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
Hi, doesn't the air intake to the heater blower go through the pollen filter? or have I lost the plot
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
The fan is after the pollen filter so they are stringing you on Wes as no leafs can possibly get to the fan.
Go back and threaten them with trading standards.
Thanks fellas, You just wouldn't believe it, I thought I was in a comedy sketch. I even explained to them that the leaves wouldn't have direct access to the fan unit itself, but this just fell on deaf ears.

All they would say was... We get so many vehicles in with this very same problem, and its always leaves stuck in and around the fan blades. I even spoke to the branch manager and bent his ear a little, he proudly kept telling me he has worked for Audi and BMW, and he always had cars coming in with leaves stuck in the fan unit.

Is it me, or am I missing something? I felt like I was in the twilight zone.

Looks like I'm going to have to contact Dacia customer relations again, but after today's episode I doubt they will be any different. Renault was just so sure of themselves, it all seemed a very well planned act which they must use on their customers time and time again.

Last edited by Dallas; 30th January 2018 at 20:12..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 20:10   #67
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Hi Wes.
Fiat dealers are just the same and funnily enough when I bought the Panda from Parks in Irvine they were multi franchised Fiat, Renault & Dacia. They are useless and born liars.
To be fair other than two front discs and pads that were in my eyes worn below the limit the car has been fine. I've done less than 3000 miles in one year but have given it two services.
I'm sure if I was doing runs rather than town work I'd be getting nearer to 60mpg like I did on my only long run last year to Cramlington.