Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st January 2018, 11:34   #11
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

The Government need to focus on the new LED headlight technology. They are way too bright and too high, even on the brand new cars that are right out of the wrapper.

At times ive needed to look away from the road because of multiple cars with the headlights coming my way and I frequently need to move the rear view mirror because of blinding from behind.

The irony is these headlight are big selling point for manufacturers, saying they are safer, you can see clearer, for further. But they are not good for other motorists!
Old 31st January 2018, 12:49   #12
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yella Fella View Post
The Government need to focus on the new LED headlight technology. They are way too bright and too high, even on the brand new cars that are right out of the wrapper.

At times ive needed to look away from the road because of multiple cars with the headlights coming my way and I frequently need to move the rear view mirror because of blinding from behind.

The irony is these headlight are big selling point for manufacturers, saying they are safer, you can see clearer, for further. But they are not good for other motorists!
I think there has always been a problem with new car's blinding lights, but the extra brightness of LED headlights make it worse.
Unless a rigorous PDI is undertaken, mis-alligned headlights don't get picked up on until the first MOT gets failed for headlight adjustment.
Old 31st January 2018, 14:32   #13
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I was speaking to my MOT guy today, he reckons there are a lot of cars with illegal LED and HID bulbs and when I asked him about the new regulations coming out he said it would mean a lot of cars will be failed he thinks especially the ones that went through last year on an advise or were close on emissions.

He is still shocked on the 40 year exemption, he said it makes no sense at all. He did wonder if that will get changed if and when there is a major accident with a 40+ year old car involved.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 14:54   #14
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yella Fella View Post

Hi Glenn.
When I passed my test in 1971, I was blinded by the cars with sealed beams, why you may ask?? Well my car was a 1960 beetle with 6 volt lights. My car was 11 years old, younger than any 75 or ZT on the road now, technology improves over the years. Sealed beams were superseded by H4 Halogens and they have improved with Projectors and HID and now LED.

The snag is it it is basically illegal to fit LED and HID kits as they are not type approved so not only can you fail the MOT but your car "could" be impounded by Plod if he/she has reasonable doubt that a non compliant bulb is in use.
Without an "E" mark on a bulb it is non compliant.
The other thing is that aftermarket MG7 lights wont be type approved so technically illegal.
There has been a lot of discussion on the Fiat Forum on this and one member is an authority on the legalities, even replacing a reverse bulb with a LED is actually illegal as it is not type approved. I personally have reservations with some of the rules but many Kits and replacement headlamp bulbs are dreadful and downright dangerous.
Nightbreaker and other types of Halogen upgraded bulbs are actually OK as they have the "E" mark, E1 on Nightbreakers.
Old 31st January 2018, 15:56   #15
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Exactly what does 'type approved' mean?
Old 31st January 2018, 17:53   #16
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
Exactly what does 'type approved' mean?
It means the item in question has been inspected by a certified testing laboratory to ensure it meets UN ECE regulations, and a declaration of conformity has been signed and handed to the manufacturers.

Without this the item would be illegal for use under the Road Traffic Act 1988, the fact the car passes an MOT or not is irrelevant. They are just making it even clearer by making it a fail on the MOT, although only with 'HID' bulbs as far as I can see, no mention of LEDs in the draft MOT document.

Incidentally the number you see after the E logo is purely the country in which the type approval was passed:

ECE country codes:
E1: Germany
E2: France
E3: Italy
E4: Netherlands
E5: Sweden
E6: Belgium
E7: Hungary
E8: Czech Republic
E9: Spain
E10: Yugoslavia
E11: United Kingdom
E12: Austria
E13: Luxembourg
E14: Switzerland
E15: unused
E16: Norway
E17: Finland
E18: Denmark
E19: Romania
E20: Poland
E21: Portugal
E22: Russian Federation
E23: Greece
E24: Ireland
E25: Croatia
E26: Slovenia
E27: Slovakia
E28: Belarus
E29: Estonia
E31: Bosnia/Herzegovina
E34: Bulgaria
E36: Lithuania
E37: Turkey
E39: Azerbaijan
E40: Makedonia
E43: Japan
E45: Austraolia
E46: Ukraine
E47: South Africa
E48: New Zealand
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 18:06   #17
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

It will also determine what type of bulb the light unit was designed for (in this instance) halogen, xenon burner etc

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 18:11   #18
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi Glenn.
When I passed my test in 1971, I was blinded by the cars with sealed beams, why you may ask?? Well my car was a 1960 beetle with 6 volt lights. My car was 11 years old, younger than any 75 or ZT on the road now, technology improves over the years. Sealed beams were superseded by H4 Halogens and they have improved with Projectors and HID and now LED.

The snag is it it is basically illegal to fit LED and HID kits as they are not type approved so not only can you fail the MOT but your car "could" be impounded by Plod if he/she has reasonable doubt that a non compliant bulb is in use.
Without an "E" mark on a bulb it is non compliant.
The other thing is that aftermarket MG7 lights wont be type approved so technically illegal.
There has been a lot of discussion on the Fiat Forum on this and one member is an authority on the legalities, even replacing a reverse bulb with a LED is actually illegal as it is not type approved. I personally have reservations with some of the rules but many Kits and replacement headlamp bulbs are dreadful and downright dangerous.
Nightbreaker and other types of Halogen upgraded bulbs are actually OK as they have the "E" mark, E1 on Nightbreakers.
Glad I've got lexis style back lights then their stamped with e approval
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 18:25   #19
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

My first car, running on a dynastart had 12watt on dipped beam and 24 watt on main, driving with gloworms in the dark. Could not see where you were going in the dark. But road performance results were 43 mph against the wind and 47 mph with a following wind. Used to cruise beautifully at around 35 mph so lights did not really make that much difference!
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 21:04   #20
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
He is still shocked on the 40 year exemption, he said it makes no sense at all. He did wonder if that will get changed if and when there is a major accident with a 40+ year old car involved.

You could argue a similar case when an 18 month old car is involved in a major accident that ALL cars should be tested EVERY year regardless of age.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote