Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st January 2018, 15:01   #11
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi Rav.
Your folks are not alone. My son closed his shop before Christmas, it had been there 35 years, he was the manager for 6 years and then had the chance of buying it 5 years ago, the last 18 months were grim and for 6 months of last year he didn't take a wage.
Not a good time for small shopkeepers.
I wish your parents well.
Old 31st January 2018, 16:11   #12
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Shop now closed.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 16:17   #13
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Just opened this thread and realised the time after reading the OP. I hope your folks find a way to adjust and create a new way of living their lives, one that brings them happiness. Best of luck to them.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 16:43   #14
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Supermarkets have their uses, but sadly they cause the demise of the loacal shops. My late dad starteda mobile fruit and veg business in 1983 after he was made redundant, and nce he became established had a theiving succesful business. That was until the Co-op opened a supermarket in the main town 2 miles from the village we lived in. After that business slowly declined bit by bit, as people didntt want to wait in for him coming, and started buying their greengrocery at the supermarket instead, as it was easier. We have no lcal shops we we live , other than a supermarket and a local convenience store, and a newsagents.The local bakers and greengrocers closed years ago, after the supermarket had been there about 2 years. The butcher is still open but for how much longer I dont know, as the owner will be aout retiring age.
Old 31st January 2018, 18:20   #15
Ravinder
This is my second home

Thanks for all the lovely comments, guys.

Dad is home now having Just cleared out the Shop. He needs to pop back in tomorrow to pick up a few bits and bobs and the polish guy is coming tomorrow to collect the Shop fittings. My mum advertised the fittings on gumtree Just yesterday and this polish man snapped out hands off to get them. He came over yesterday and paid a deposit and said he will collect tomorrow. He said he couldn’t believe how cheap we were selling them for and the shelves are immaculate as my dad keeps the shop super clean. The guy was over the moon as he was being quoted £100 per metre and he’s got all our fixings for £1200. It made his day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroRover View Post
Such a shame. The days you can go to a local shop for your morning paper, and spend time having a friendly chat with the shopkeeper will soon be gone at the rate they are closing...and it's a five mile drive to buy a newspaper. :
Yeah, I remember when I was younger there were grocery and newsagents all over and within walking distance. When I was a kid in Bristol, we had several shops just a few minutes walk from our house. Now, you have to drive to retail parks and supermarkets to get the basics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
So sorry to read this Ravinder - when I walk down my local High St there seems to be more boarded up shops than open ones. And those that are open are Hairdressers, nail bars and charity shops.

I’ve set my alarm for 5pm and will have a cuppa then and toast your Mum and Dad.
Thank you, that’s very kind. That’s the shop now closed. A sad day, indeed. Our high street is exactly the same. Every couple of months a store is closing. Yet, the council charge extortionate rates and then they wonder why the shops are empty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
It’s sad but inevitable. The business models used by many people 30 years ago no longer work.
The biggest growth for Supermarkets in the last 10 years has been the smaller convenience stores. Large supermarkets are no longer being built in great numbers anymore. They have changed their model in response to our buying habits. Your parents filled a niche market which has now been filled by the likes of a Tesco.
It’s a big decision for your Father but can he spend the next few years working for a Supermarket? He has loads of knowledge in retail and maybe it’s time to take their dollar for putting him out of work? I appreciate it’s a massive change of culture for him as he will no longer be the boss. Just a thought.
My dad is too old for that, now. I can’t see it happening any time soon. I think he will try and find a way of retiring now or semi retire at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
So sorry to read this Rav, send our best wishes to your mum and dad.

Its like Clive has said, so many of the privately owned small shops are closing and being turned into hairdressers and nail bars, but these only last for a short time.

I think the most common site I see now is eating establishments, so many local shops in our area have closed and been turned into snazzy cafe's or wine bars. All the towns down this way are full of them, streets and streets of eating places.

On a slightly different note, we now have Churches that have been turned into Nightclubs and bars, you have to see it to believe it. Some look quite impressive though, it seems to be all about eating out and being entertained these days.

People are ordering their shopping online from the large supermarkets these days, but then go out to eat and be entertained several times a week.
Thank you. Yes, way too many eating establishments about. It’s the same up here. Takeaways on every corner. Sometimes, lines of them next to each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
I know a couple of people whose wives have owned nail bars and hairdressers and they come and go mostly because they hit the VAT threshold then can't compete with the one that's just opened next door - which will close when they do and can't compete with the one that's just opened next door etc etc.

How many nail bars the world actually needs is another question

There is probably a business model out there for a corner shop type place that accepts supermarket deliveries for people too busy to be in to receive them (how 'busy' have to be and what life you have for that to be true defies belief but I bet there is a market) then you sell them things they have forgotten like a bottle of wine they have forgotten and some luxuries as well.

Sorry for your Dad Rav, I love corner shops myself as they make you feel part of the community, all the big supermarkets 'Express' type things are just anonymous and frustrating because they don't usually sell what you actually want or need. The thing I hate is real local Post Offices closing and being incorporated into corner shops, I understand why but to be honest when I go to the Post Office to send a parcel I want someone who knows what they are doing rather than someone who has had an hours training and I know the costs/rules better than they do -I go to the Post Office a lot, it's a vital part of my job
Many years ago, before we took over the Shop, it had a post office built 8nside it but then closed later. I don’t know the reason why it was closed. Now, they seem to be closing for fun. There’s less post offices in my town then there used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Wish your parents all the best from us Rav, good hardworking folk will always be alright, it’s difficult to say the least for small business owners these days, don’t get me started on how much the government takes off them before they even open a door to trade.
Thanks, Andy. Yep, you’re not wrong about that. The government really doesn’t help small businesses one bit..l

Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Old 31st January 2018, 18:21   #16
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravinder View Post
Shop now closed.
I wish you all well - and I wished you well with a cuppa.

Hopefully the old saying - as one door closes another one opens.

Last edited by Darcydog; 31st January 2018 at 18:29..
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 18:48   #17
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

What a shame, I hope it all works out
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 21:49   #18
Ravinder
This is my second home

Thank you, everyone. It’ll be weird for my dad not getting up early in the mornings now to go to open the shop up.

Royal Blue (JFM)

Old 31st January 2018, 23:00   #19
v-man
I really should get out more.......

Ford Fezza Poverty Spec & ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravinder View Post
Thanks for all the lovely comments, guys.

Dad is home now having Just cleared out the Shop. He needs to pop back in tomorrow to pick up a few bits and bobs and the polish guy is coming tomorrow to collect the Shop fittings. My mum advertised the fittings on gumtree Just yesterday and this polish man snapped out hands off to get them. He came over yesterday and paid a deposit and said he will collect tomorrow. He said he couldn’t believe how cheap we were selling them for and the shelves are immaculate as my dad keeps the shop super clean. The guy was over the moon as he was being quoted £100 per metre and he’s got all our fixings for £1200. It made his day.

I think the eastern europeans are generating a need for the products they are used to buying. Certainly here we have a number of european owned store aimed squarely at fellow countrymen.

The supermarkets certainly do have a negative impact on independently owned stores. Local councils have a role to play in all this, they have the power to impose restrictions or refuse planning applications, but it feels like they just don't want to.

The biggest issue is us - we have the choice to spend our money where and how we want. We cannot expect thriving local businesses if all we do is shop in supermarkets and buy online.

I hope your parents can adjust to the new pattern of life.

Report potholes, flytipping, broken streetlights - www.fixmystreet.com

Find cheaper diesel/petrol - www.petrolprices.com
2001 Rover 45 1.8 Impression S owned for 15 years, now scrapped.

Last edited by v-man; 31st January 2018 at 23:02..
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote