Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th February 2018, 19:33   #11
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I had that done to my Montego one Friday night in the last century. We were having a storm, thunder and lightening, and I was just coming out of the bathroom upstairs when the alarm on my car started to go off. Ran down the stairs and flew out the front door, just in time to see the rear of a yob disappearing over the gate. Chased him up the road with a big stick, but was around 20 yards behind when he jumped into a red xr2 and sped off into the night. When I went to my car I noticed that the drivers door was slightly open. When I went to open it and look inside , there was a hole drilled,punched just under the lock. Nothing was taken because there was nothing to pinch. It shows how yampy he was, there was a notice on the window saying it was alarmed.
Old 9th February 2018, 21:31   #12
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Thieves punching a small hole through the cars door skin...

How about car owners punching a hole in car thieves
Old 9th February 2018, 22:29   #13
Al_B

ZT saloon

I worked on vehicle security 25 years ago...the technique was around then. If a suitably small hole is drilled (and cordless drills were in their infancy then) a paint touch up would fill the hole and look like nothing more than a stone chip.
MGR were better than many other companies at designing out the usual weaknesses in locking systems. The deadlock by default (one button lock) should mean that the mechanism can't be manipulated to unlock the door. Most other makers had a 2 press method for deadlocking which meant that many lazy owners never actually deadlocked their cars, hence this technique worked.

Sadly the over reliance on electronics for security has meant that physical security measures are now worse than 20 years ago.
Al_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2018, 09:30   #14
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

I think a lot is down to common sense.
Always keep valuables out of sight, don't keep wallets, registration V5 or documents in the car. Set your sat nav home address for a few streets away (naughty I suppose) or don't set a home address, if its a portable one always remove it and take with you. Buy a car that the thieves would turn their nose up to like my Panda, don't park it in badly lit side streets, buy a wheel clamp or a decent steering lockable bar.
Old 10th February 2018, 09:42   #15
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

That's why I drive an old Rover Trevor - you can leave the keys in round here and no-one will pinch it.

Saw this recently at a Travelodge in Rushden. Good to see someone taking security seriously with 3 crook locks.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 10th February 2018 at 09:47..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote