Notices

Old 26th June 2018, 13:31   #140281
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Jeebus it's hot. It's cooler outside under the umbrella than indoors at present. got an old HP XW4600 workstation out of the garage I keep for spares for my other one, I wanted to test the wi-fi range so I set it up outside under the big umbrella and it runs like a champ with a strong signal.

I bought a CCTV set up with 4 cameras to cover everything, It needs a HHD for the wi-fi unit to record. I'm not sure I want to take it out of this computer as the Linux Solas OS I have on it runs brilliant.
I have another harddrive somewhere I think I'll find that to use in the recorder.

Just waiting on some cabling and a weatherproof 4 plug box to fasten to the outside wall. I'm doing nowt in this heat until normal weather resumes
Ian, a cheap form of air cooling we use in Africa, is to soak a bedsheet in a bath or under the shower, then place it over ourselves with a fan switched at the end of the bed. Result - the sheet feels beautifully icy and is a help to having some kip on a hot and steamy night.

Last year Ian, you might remember I had HD CCTV installed at the house. It’s on WiFi 24/7 hard drive and it’s linked to an app on the phone which allows me to see everything from anywhere in the world. Here is a sample from that time when the police smashed the doors in, after a neighbour called them saying I was dead in the bath. The toilet overflow had got stuck on a flush and water poured out onto the front. I was in bed at the time recovering from an op and did not heard the police knock etc......I was quite impressed by the picture quality

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 26th June 2018 at 13:35..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2018, 15:20   #140282
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Afternoon all,another glorious day,been working on car. Putting in a sunblind shelf.One benefit of being old is,1/2 hrs work then 1hr stop for tea,and nobody complains.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2018, 16:25   #140283
freddie
Passed Away

75 cdti connoisseur se saloon

Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,345 Posts

Sure is hot not done much today.
Club meet tonight larger shandy will be nice.

LADY IN RED
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2018, 16:28   #140284
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Evening all. Sizzler indeed, even walking across the drive in bare feet is like walking on hot coals

Salad weather again so we're having shepherds pie with corn on the cob, peas, carrots & swede and cauliflower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Ian, a cheap form of air cooling we use in Africa, is to soak a bedsheet in a bath or under the shower, then place it over ourselves with a fan switched at the end of the bed. Result - the sheet feels beautifully icy and is a help to having some kip on a hot and steamy night.

Last year Ian, you might remember I had HD CCTV installed at the house. It’s on WiFi 24/7 hard drive and it’s linked to an app on the phone which allows me to see everything from anywhere in the world. Here is a sample from that time when the police smashed the doors in, after a neighbour called them saying I was dead in the bath. The toilet overflow had got stuck on a flush and water poured out onto the front. I was in bed at the time recovering from an op and did not heard the police knock etc......I was quite impressed by the picture quality

Evening Phil, I remember that thread well about PC Plod breaking in, yes the quality of the picture is very good.

I have a question for you about the HDD that I'm going to put in the recorder, I did manage to find it in the garage, I think it's got the old Win 7 OS on it and was wondering if the hard drive has to be wiped clean before installing it into the recorder or will it just record over it?

That's a good idea about the damp blanket for keeping cool I've dug the fan out of the shed and at present it feels very nice with it blowing across the mancave.

I offered £85 for this one delivered & they accepted it off Ebay.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4CH-1080P...72.m2749.l2649 I want to cover the front door like you did, and the front/side garden, the shed & the garage.

There's been a spate of shed break-ins again around here with the deadbeats stealing gardening equipment

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2018, 18:47   #140285
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Evening all, Holy Moly it's hot

I've been in my mancave with the blinds & curtains closed this afternoon too hot for me.

It's Salad weather so we're having smoked haddock jersey royals & veggies for tea
That’s a fantastic looking CCTV system you have bought Ian and up to 4T for the hard drive. 4 channels is plenty. A great price. The hard drive I have is 500GB and it lasts for 3 months with continuous recording in HD. It came with 30 meters of Ethernet cable which is run from the dedicated hard drive to the WiFi router. It’s suggested, the hard drive is hidden out of sight away from the bad guys in the event of a break in. The box could be in the loft or in a secret panel.

I had the drive set up “clean” and put up warning “CCTV in operation” warning signs in the front and back windows. Several neighbours in the road have them installed. Last summer an elderly couple (neighbours) were conned into letting crooks into the home. The couple were tied up, gagged and robbed. Sadly the mans wife was severely traumatised and she passed away a few months later. The council put up street signs about the CCTV and the police increased more foot patrols.

I am relieved for you that the cooling blanket is helping

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 26th June 2018 at 18:50..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2018, 21:07   #140286
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:

There's been a spate of shed break-ins again around here with the deadbeats stealing gardening equipment

You need one of these, frighten the $hite out of them should they get in!

https://www.ant-supplies.uk/bits-and...arm-mines.html
trikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 06:11   #140287
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Morning all from Sunny Saltash. Special day for me today. Washing machine delivery, that will stop the flies following me.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 27th June 2018 at 06:11.. Reason: Editin'
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 07:14   #140288
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Morning everyone, another hot sunny day on the cards again by the look of it.

Old 27th June 2018, 07:27   #140289
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
That’s a fantastic looking CCTV system you have bought Ian and up to 4T for the hard drive. 4 channels is plenty. A great price. The hard drive I have is 500GB and it lasts for 3 months with continuous recording in HD. It came with 30 meters of Ethernet cable which is run from the dedicated hard drive to the WiFi router. It’s suggested, the hard drive is hidden out of sight away from the bad guys in the event of a break in. The box could be in the loft or in a secret panel.

I had the drive set up “clean” and put up warning “CCTV in operation” warning signs in the front and back windows. Several neighbours in the road have them installed. Last summer an elderly couple (neighbours) were conned into letting crooks into the home. The couple were tied up, gagged and robbed. Sadly the mans wife was severely traumatised and she passed away a few months later. The council put up street signs about the CCTV and the police increased more foot patrols.

I am relieved for you that the cooling blanket is helping

Thanks Phil Yes I'll put the recorder unit in a safe place. hopefully installing these cameras will be more of a deterrent, that's terrible about the elderly couple conned and the lady passing away.
I'll just wing it with the HDD and see how it goes, I think that one is a 500GB Just reading through the manual says if I have set on PIR sensor and only record when movement is detected it should be good for plenty of storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
You need one of these, frighten the $hite out of them should they get in!

https://www.ant-supplies.uk/bits-and...arm-mines.html

Hi Andy yes that would scare the heck out of them for sure. what a great piece o kit.

Old 27th June 2018, 07:38   #140290
freddie
Passed Away

75 cdti connoisseur se saloon

Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,345 Posts

Morning all was overcast this morning but like yesterday begining to burn off.

LADY IN RED
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote