Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th July 2019, 11:58   #1
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default To Poznan from Leeds via Holland and Germany

So, I returned recently from a trip across Europe to my house in Poznan, Poland carried in comfort by my 2001 white gold 2.5L tourer, parked up here near the house after unloading a shed load of things we brought over with us. A lot of interest from the neighbours!! I covered over 1500 miles there and back, all without a hitch. These cars are perfectly designed for long treks like this and even my automatic managed to return 30 miles to the gallon (or 9 litres per 100 km if you prefer) along the way. Plenty of power and easily keeping up on the faster sections of the German autobahns (thanks for fitting working VIZ motors David)!. You do see these cars here in Poland, mainly saloons, but most are usually in a poor condition. You can still get parts locally here though! I had to replace my windscreen on a visit last year and it was only two days between ordering and fitting, which is not bad at all. It's such a shame that we are among the last owners of these magnificent cars, but as long as I can afford to, I'll be keeping mine going for the foreseeable future! Will next year see me having to keep a valid green card in the glovebox I wonder? Not since my father's European touring days of the 1960s in his Sunbeam Rapier have I seen one of those!

minty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2019, 18:12   #2
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi David. I had a Polish friend who was born in Bydgoszcz. We were planning on going over with his wife and mine a few years ago, when he was taken ill.We never made it. It would have been an epic journey because I have never been to Eastern Europe. It was going to be a two day drive,but would have been worth it.Some of the stories he told me were quite heart rending during the 1939/45 skirmish. A fine nation, and wonderful people.
Old 26th July 2019, 09:21   #3
timon
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Fun fact: My 75 was originally sold in Poland before it was exported to Germany. The entire service history that came with the car when I picked it up in Germany was in Polish so I have no idea what was and wasn't done on the car but the owners took good pretty good care of it as the car is still running on its 20th anniversary.
timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2019, 15:29   #4
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Hi David. I had a Polish friend who was born in Bydgoszcz. We were planning on going over with his wife and mine a few years ago, when he was taken ill.We never made it. It would have been an epic journey because I have never been to Eastern Europe. It was going to be a two day drive,but would have been worth it.Some of the stories he told me were quite heart rending during the 1939/45 skirmish. A fine nation, and wonderful people.
Thanks for letting me know. We drove the whole distance from Rotterdam in 12 hours (with stops of course). The car ran beautifully all the way and I can't imagine a trip of that duration in anything other than a pretty luxurious car at my age! What city would you have been heading to? Bydgoszcz? Poznan's a very nice place about the same size as Leeds but with more trams

Last edited by minty2; 27th July 2019 at 15:35..
Old 27th July 2019, 15:33   #5
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I saw a lovely looking beige 3.5 V8 P6 heading south towards Rotterdam on my way back to the port. Just a glimpse mind, but it looked in very good nick. Saw no 75s on the road either heading to or from Poznan but one or two while in Poznan.
Old 27th July 2019, 21:08   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

We were going to my sons place in Germany as the halfway house, and then onto Bydgoszcz. I think it was around 1100 miles all told there. We were going to stay at his relatives in Bydgoszcz.