Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th August 2019, 14:09   #1
grs6680
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190

Default When do you call it a day

So a quick jist of what is going on in my world of mg's well I like a project ive had a 180 se for nearly a year now and the last 3 weeks I've been chasing a water leak which only appears when it's about 100c so after finding it by chance turns out to be the ultra sonic welding on the thermostat,(it won't leak again as I have cold weld it.but over the last few months its been a uphill struggle with the car and Ive thought of stripping and scrapping it BUT it's still here just not even got it to mot standard yet anyway I can see why such cars get scrapped plus make sure you take your car to someone who knows how delicate the engines are because I have spent so much time undoing other people bodges,it was bought with a list of failures which I have almost sorted just the rear brakes to do and hopefully it will be in for mot by the end of the month,
Moan over for minute.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
grs6680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2019, 15:22   #2
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs6680 View Post
So a quick jist of what is going on in my world of mg's well I like a project ive had a 180 se for nearly a year now and the last 3 weeks I've been chasing a water leak which only appears when it's about 100c so after finding it by chance turns out to be the ultra sonic welding on the thermostat,(it won't leak again as I have cold weld it.but over the last few months its been a uphill struggle with the car and Ive thought of stripping and scrapping it BUT it's still here just not even got it to mot standard yet anyway I can see why such cars get scrapped plus make sure you take your car to someone who knows how delicate the engines are because I have spent so much time undoing other people bodges,it was bought with a list of failures which I have almost sorted just the rear brakes to do and hopefully it will be in for mot by the end of the month,
Moan over for minute.

Hi Gordon.
You have every right to have whinge, I am sure you will have it bang up to date.

Julien
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2019, 15:43   #3
Tim
Feel the size of my Quads

MG ZT 440SE, MG HS PHEV & MG3

Just feel the satisfaction when its all sorted. Another saved! Fingers crossed.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2019, 16:55   #4
grs6680
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post
Hi Gordon.

You have every right to have whinge, I am sure you will have it bang up to date.

Julien
Hi Julien how are you did you get things sorted must pop round for a brew some time.

grs6680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2019, 17:38   #5
mbrenn
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloons Conn SE 2.0L V6 (2001) & Conn 2.0L CDTi (2003)

Hello Gordon, you are approaching the finish line so stick with it, it will be worth it in the end. My mechanic just completed a lot of work on my daily driver which finally passed MOT: replaced rear subframe, upper and lower arms, handbrake shoes, discs and pads (rear and front), anti roll bar, suspension ball joint, door repair/mirror assembly replacement! Hopefully it will serve me for many years to come.
mbrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2019, 17:47   #6
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Think yourself as lucky, you can do this work and the parts you buy are affordable.

Last week I had to tell the owner of a 2007 Merc E class that he needed to spend over £1000 on parts to get the engine management light out so his car would pass an MOT. Inlet manifold is £800, two Lambda sensors are over £100 each and I reckon it will be a good days work if everything comes apart to do the required work. He will probably scrap it as it also needs a couple of tyres and the brakes got an advise on last years MOT.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2019, 17:55   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I've just spent five months of my life I can never recoup, so about six months ago for me
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2019, 18:23   #8
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I worked out what I have spent today since taking on my late brother's last November. Now a huge chunk is stuff I didn't HAVE to do like belts and rustproofing. But so far its about £2200 and I am not at the finish line. These cars get under your skin but my brother's especially so.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote