Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th January 2018, 07:05   #1
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Default 24 Hour Speed Cameras on MI Derbyshire

The new speed cameras on the smart motorway section of the M1 in Derbyshire are permanently switched on – even when there is not a variable speed limit in force. The four cameras caught 8,382 drivers – with the fastest recorded at an eye-watering 128mph. More Info

This is probably the case or going to be on all sections of smart motorway I assume.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 07:14   #2
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

I've used that section of M1 quite a bit over the last year and a half, always driving as if the camera's are 'on' - but I don't believe for a moment that they are set to exactly 70mph. Catching 8,382 drivers might sound a lot but over a whole year is a drop in the ocean compared to the number of vehicles going through. As pointed out by a commenter on the article - the photo's in the article aren't the camera's in question #lazyjournalist.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 07:31   #3
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I read in the Manchester evening news a while ago that a thousand drivers a week were being caught on the smart section of the M60 motorway.

They're a cash cow https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...eed-limit-2017

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 07:40   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

is that a Cinnamon Green Rover 75 in lane 2 ? Its not me but is it my wife driving to sheffield?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 07:45   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

hang on folks, we know the speed limits. If we choose to exceed them then it is our own fault if we get caught. "Government" can only get our money if we speed and so it is simple, don't speed. "Government" will then have wasted its money.

Please lets not complain that we are fined for breaking the law. Bit tough I accept if you rarely exceed the limit but hay ho.

It is probably safer doing 80mph on a clear dry motorway in good visibility then it is driving at 28 in a 30 past an infant school when children are going to school and leaving school, probably same for all schools. Some areas now have a 20mph limit around schools

One is a legal speed, the other is not

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 08:08   #6
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Certainly, there is only one person to blame if one is caught speeding. The law is there, it's a pity there isn't the ability to emulate the enforcement in burglary or "fly tipping", both committed by the parasites of our society. As has been said in the past, the motorist is an easy target, but if all drivers tried to obey the law, then that would reduce the financial gain that Government and Local Government can see to be easily available.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 08:23   #7
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
I have to say I believe that a lot of speeding is down to "I'm running late". To me that is an excuse, get up earlier in the morning, leave earlier and drive within the law, quite simple.
If you get ridiculous deadlines from bosses or clients make it clear that you wont speed and either get a fine or be the cause of an accident so tell them to re-schedule.
An awful lot of bad driving and speeding can be avoided if drivers used common sense and employers realised they often force workers to break the law.
Perhaps the so called cash cow would go if drivers realised this, personally I'd be very angry at myself if I happened to be speeding and got an expensive fine.
Old 24th January 2018, 08:37   #8
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

The burning question has to be: Is this about road safety or an easy revenue stream? There is evidence to support the variable limits have caused accidents and are drivers constantly watching the speedo and not the road ahead.

General standard of driving appears to be very low these days, went to Cambridge on Sunday freezing conditions there and standing water everywhere on the way back..didn't slow many down, still tailgating, undertaking at high speed.
Old 24th January 2018, 08:51   #9
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
The burning question has to be: Is this about road safety or an easy revenue stream? There is evidence to support the variable limits have caused accidents and are drivers constantly watching the speedo and not the road ahead.

General standard of driving appears to be very low these days, went to Cambridge on Sunday freezing conditions there and standing water everywhere on the way back..didn't slow many down, still tailgating, undertaking at high speed.
The driving standards are grim these days.
I started on an instructor course in 2008 with RED and was totally ripped off, I had so many problems with them and only got as passing the theory test then it all went wrong.
I wanted to further myself and pass on my experience of driving (ROSPA & IAM) along with being an instructor. I shudder now at the things I see.
A lot must be that they think they are indestructible in cars with all the safety gizmos they have now........ how wrong they are.
Old 24th January 2018, 09:07   #10
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Trevor, you are right on all counts especially RED, a lot of the big names in instructor training are a rip off..they frequently try to train 3 in one car, charge an arm and a leg for it, no incentive to get you past your tests just keep collecting fees.