Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th January 2018, 07:50   #1
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts
Default Its only breif but thinking handing in my notice already.

Morning all well I can say this working for Grand prix is't what I expected it too be and more and more I'm feeling very unhappy and its starting too affect me a bit.

Last week I did two days of training with Gordon fair play he taught me a lot, but not everything.

Last week wasn't too bad even tho a lot of the places I was going I had no idea how too get too them Post code can take you so far but as soon as you arrive at your destination you pretty much got too go though the houses too find the customer.

This week has been pure hell, I'm overloading all the time, I can only carry up to 3.5 ton I'm going over at the range off 4.2-4.3 ton If VOSA ever tuned up and they look at my weight of the van I'm pretty sure I'll get a hefty fine.

I expected too deliver all parcels and furniture in one day and I'm doing 50 plus, I've only done two weeks and there expecting me too nail it all the time, well I'm sorry when they keep sending too different places I'm not learning the around instead I'm going too forget.

There trying too get me too master all the rounds, again I've only done two weeks and I'm starting too lose my cool with them and I'm not happy at all.

This job is really hyping me up in a bad way I've driving like a complete nut case just too get too the delivery's points on time and then office phone you asking too collect collections as well.

I never liked admitting that something has got too me mentally, But this job is slowly killing me.

Its hell of a lot pressure too take considering I'e done four days on my own.
The experienced drivers will know majority of the places because they've been doing it for years, Me just 4 days and there expecting me too do the job as if I've been doing it for 4 years.

Not going too happen is it.

I'm trying my best as I can but its not good enough.

I don't know what too do at this point, But right now I'm really considering jacking it in and doing something else.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Last edited by Lordy; 24th January 2018 at 07:54..
Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 08:07   #2
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi, would it help to talk with the other drivers see how they cope with it, maybe they went through the same situation to start with? a bit of moral support.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 08:15   #3
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
Hi, would it help to talk with the other drivers see how they cope with it, maybe they went through the same situation to start with? a bit of moral support.
A lot of them just keeping saying its a piece of cake and all this, When you get too the depot Its always get everything quickly as possible and get out asap.

Got too be back at the depot by 19:30, In the morning we could leave between 8am to 11am.

All depends what pallets and trucks are coming with.

There's other chap who started the same time as me Paul and he's had enough as well, He's hurt his hand because the rear doors are pretty much crème crackerd and swing and hit him.

He's in the same boat as me he's been trusted right into the deep end as well.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.

Old 24th January 2018, 08:31   #4
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
I've seen and heard of this too many times. You often see delivery vans laden well down and the driver taking risks, snag is when you are overloaded the vehicle will not handle properly or even brake as it should.
It is far to common in the UK to expect drivers to take risks and break the law, don't forget it's you the driver who takes the hit not the gaffers. I can see why you are stressed which will do nothing for your driving.
If you are overloaded with to much weight or work that you'd never get done in your hours I'd be having a good talk with the gaffer.
Old 24th January 2018, 08:45   #5
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
I've seen and heard of this too many times. You often see delivery vans laden well down and the driver taking risks, snag is when you are overloaded the vehicle will not handle properly or even brake as it should.
It is far to common in the UK to expect drivers to take risks and break the law, don't forget it's you the driver who takes the hit not the gaffers. I can see why you are stressed which will do nothing for your driving.
If you are overloaded with to much weight or work that you'd never get done in your hours I'd be having a good talk with the gaffer.
I know a chap that got so fed up being treated like this by uncaring firms that he jacked it in and is now a coach driver. He says the difference is remarkable.

He wears a smart uniform and is treated politely by 99% of his customers. The coach company treat all the drivers well also.

He says it’s the best thing he has ever done but does say there are good and bad coach firms - however he reckons even the worst coach Firm would be a picnic compared to what he had to put up with as an HGV driver.

He walked out and did agency work for a month or too before accepting the coach drivers job.

Might be worth checking out LV.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 09:16   #6
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Hi Dave, a little different to what you're doing but, I used to deliver prescriptions for a local chemists and I could have as many as 60 to do in a shift. The annoying thing was, I couldn't start until 1:30pm because all the deliveries were made up in the morning. It was a nightmare to start with, the prescriptions had to be delivered on that day and it was 9:00pm sometimes when I'd done my last one. Also had to go back to shop before they closed at 5:30pm in case there were any urgent, short notice deliveries to do and, had to collect new prescriptions from health centre for making up for next day. On top of this, they used to phone me and ask me to collect from hospital and doctors as well.
At times I was driving between addresses like an idiot just to get through the deliveries. But, after a few months, things just seemed to click into place. As I started to learn the shortcuts around the area and learned which people would be in or out at certain times, the job became a lot more relaxed and stress free and I actually started to enjoy it.
Don't be too hasty mate, give it a little longer and you may just get on top of the job.
Delivering is not the 'easy' job that a lot of folk think it is.

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 09:34   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Having a job is important. Having a job that makes you ill is no good.
Do not overload your van, refuse to drive it if others overload it
Have a talk with your manager and calmly explain how you are feeling
and ask if there is anything he can do to help. Try to be positive and offer positive suggestions.

If nothing improves and the job continues to make you ill, walk away. This may be easier said then done.

best of luck

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 10:08   #8
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

What annoys me of all is all the delivery's that I'm not able too do I got too bring it all back too depot and lot of the stuff is heavey one might have 12 parcels and its a lot too bring back.

The warehouse staff have too stay on site till all the vans are retuned ready too unload them, Of course me being the inexperienced one and one of the last vans too come in.

The warehouse staff have too stay on there doing overtime and too be honest straight away I can see they were getting pretty fed up with me.

They didn't say I could tell by facial expressions.

Its not fair on them either really or me its putting me on the firing line.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.

Old 24th January 2018, 10:29   #9
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Dave, I know exactly how you feel buddy, I was a delivery driver for a few years, and it certainly does get stressful. I was in my twenties at the time and I didn't have the luxury of a satnav back then, I had to rely on paper maps and good old common sense.

Looking back now it was fun and character building, I was my own boss out on the roads all day. I soon started to enjoy it as it became easier, but I did get myself into a lot of bother at the beginning. On one occasion I stopped to ask for directions at a corner shop and forgot to apply the handbrake on the 3.5ton truck. I was in the shop and all I could see was the truck rolling down the hill and gently parking itself in someone's hedge. All this because I was overworked and there was simply not enough hours in the day to complete my rounds. I would rush about like a blooming greyhound. I would be gone all day and wasn't getting home not until 9/10pm somedays.

I promise you though, it does get easier once you get to know your round and become familiar with the area. These types of jobs are never easy though, they are not the type where you get treated nicely, be prepared to be shouted out, having your boss on your back 24/7, forget any professionalism bud, you wont get any of that...

If you do decide to stick with it, good luck. Try not to lose your temper though, always keep your cool. Turn those negatives into positives, you are learning on the job, they should understand. Try and give it another week or so and see how you go, you still have the freedom to look for something else, so its not worth working yourself up with worry.

You'll be fine what ever option you choose.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 12:24   #10
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

I did courier work for a while. You’ll get past the stressful times of the first few weeks. The job gets easier honest!

If DVSA do stop you for being overloaded then you will be ‘charged’ but so will the company. My experience is that you would get a small fine or maybe no penalty where your employer would receive a large fine. Much larger if they’ve done it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote