Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th January 2018, 11:03   #1
YorksMG2013
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE & MG ZT 260

Default new MOT regs and LED lights

Dear All

I had ben reading recently about changes to MOT regulations and that if you have added LEDs to your cars light system you are more likely to be getting a fail.
I'm assuming this is aimed at aftermarket headlights etc.?
For those folks who have fitted MG7 rear lights I wonder if this is now likely to cause problems at MOT time?
I ask because I still fancy a pair of these rear lights

Cheers

Andrew
Now joined by the Blue Beast - MG ZT 260 #57 in Trophy Blue
YorksMG2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 11:35   #2
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

The way I am reading the "draft" copy of the new regulations is that HID and LED light sources may not be retro fitted into headlamp assemblies that were not designed to take them.

I see nothing there that rules LED's out as side, rear, indicator or number plate light sources.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 15:10   #3
cengar
Loves to post

rover 75 saloon cdti

HID bulbs have always been a failure item unless you had self levelling suspension or self levelling lights all passes with HID is down to the kindness of the tester.
cengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 16:30   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cengar View Post
HID bulbs have always been a failure item unless you had self levelling suspension or self levelling lights all passes with HID is down to the kindness of the tester.
I think they would be a fail due to not having 'e' approval (for the headlight unit design). If washers and self levelling not fitted, they cannot be tested so therefore cannot fail. As long as the beam pattern met standards, then it would pass.

Well that's how I understand it. Our mot is a little different here , but I believe that part would be the same.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 17:29   #5
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cengar View Post
From the DVSA's MOT Tester's Manual:

'Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.'

Only may be fitted, a failure if fitted and:

'A headlamp levelling or cleaning device inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.'

Last edited by raykay; 30th January 2018 at 17:55..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 17:40   #6
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I think they would be a fail due to not having 'e' approval (for the headlight unit design). If washers and self levelling not fitted, they cannot be tested so therefore cannot fail. As long as the beam pattern met standards, then it would pass.

Well that's how I understand it. Our mot is a little different here , but I believe that part would be the same.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
The important thing is E Approval and this covers LED too as all our lamps are tested with tungsten bulbs so sticking to the strict letter of the law any lamp fitted with anything other than the correct bulb is illegal. Ironically a car made before type approval was required can fit any type of bulb
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 18:00   #7
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Simple,
change them to standard for the test and the change them back afterwards when it has passed

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 18:43   #8
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

The rules change in May this year retrofitted Aftermarket HIDs and high intensity LEDs are going to be a fail

There's a whole host of other stuff too, haven't got access to computer at the moment so can't post a link but if you check the VOSA website you'll find all the details there

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018, 23:17   #9
v-man
I really should get out more.......

Ford Fezza Poverty Spec & ?

I did see a thread recently discussing the various new/altered test items - https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=278381

Report potholes, flytipping, broken streetlights - www.fixmystreet.com

Find cheaper diesel/petrol - www.petrolprices.com
2001 Rover 45 1.8 Impression S owned for 15 years, now scrapped.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 01:16   #10
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorksMG2013 View Post
Dear All

I had ben reading recently about changes to MOT regulations and that if you have added LEDs to your cars light system you are more likely to be getting a fail.

I'm assuming this is aimed at aftermarket headlights etc.?

For those folks who have fitted MG7 rear lights I wonder if this is now likely to cause problems at MOT time?

I ask because I still fancy a pair of these rear lights

Cheers

Andrew

Sadly this is the DVLA attempting twenty years to late to catch up with the technology now available in the lighting industry. It should be noted that the Government was pressing for better road lighting and car lighting systems. Now that we are part way down that road they are panicking.
So long as the dip beam is of a projector type the type of bulb should not matter as they are not allowed to look and see. So if the bulb fitted has the same focal length as the original bulb fitted then the beam pattern will be the same and as such should pass the test.
The MOT man is not allowed to remove covers so can not see if the bulb has an E on it or not. What is this E thing anyway. It was my understanding that England voted to remove itself from Europe.
The problem that more efficient bulbs have caused can now not be addressed as the current wording is only regarding wattage and beam pattern. For me to suggest that light output and temperature are what need to be addressed would fall on those who do not under stand the science. Further if the government were to restrict what they are trying to restrict and failing. Many New cars would fall foul of the new proposals. Any car with day time running lamps currently breaks the law regarding them as they have to be both front and rear and a maximum of twenty watts. Whoops light output from Bulbs is not and has never been measured in Watts. Watts is the power consumption of the resistor plugged into that circuit. In this case the resistor is a bulb.
I am sure there are many of you out there who can remember being stopped by the police every other week back in 1979 when High level brake lights came over to the UK. Plod would stop me on average once every five days for having my fog lights come on with my brake lights. It got to the stage that I had hand outs made up to give to the police that explained about high level brake lights.
It is very sad really, the most recent muck up was the little girl next door being ticketed along with every other car that was not displaying a tax disk parked at the local Cinima three weeks after they abolished Road fund licences.
Due to the way the road lighting act is written the MOT can not fail a car that has a beam pattern that fits within the profiles of the pattern lamp colour and brightness matters not one jot.
Another case of people who know nothing about anything trying to apply their lack of knowledge to a specific field. They then expect the poor MOT tester to apply their piece of uninformed nonsense to the vehicles that they are testing.
I have fond memories of my Citroen Diane failing its MOT every year because it would not start on the key. Push the starter button dummy, windscreen washers not working couldn’t find the foot pump, and head lights not dipping, try using the foot dip switch.
I will wait till the government get their act together until then it will be down to the intelligent tester to know what to ignore as rubbish.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote