Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th February 2018, 07:13   #1
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Default Thieves punching a small hole through the cars door skin

A friend sent this warning to me earlier today, and I am sending this in case you have not heard about it.

I can't get the photo to appear in this message. The small hole is only the diameter of a small punch. His vehicle is not a Rover and I wonder whether the 75/ZTs rather solid internal door mechanism could prevent such an intrusion.

Quote:
A HOLE UNDER THE DOOR LOCK !! worth knowing

It never end’s does it? Another thing to look out for.

On Wednesday, I approached my car from the passenger side to place my computer bag on the front passenger seat.

As I reached to open the door I noticed there was a hole right under my door handle.

My first thought was, "Someone has shot the car !"

I began to think about it and inspect it a little closer and the "light" slowly began to dawn.

I phoned a friend who owns a body shop, and asked if he had any vehicles with damage to the doors that looked like a bullet hole.

"Yes, I see it all the time. Thieves have a punch and place it right under the door handle, knock a hole through, reach in and unlock it, just as if they have a key. No alarms, broken glass, or anything."

I then placed a call to my insurance agent and explained it to him. I was puzzled that they left my GPS and all other belongings.

Here is where it gets scary !

"Oh no, he said, they want the break-in to be so subtle that you don't even realize it. They look at your GPS to see where "home" is. Or check your address from Insurance and Registration documents in your glove box. Now they know what you drive, go to your home, and if your vehicle isn't there they assume you aren't, and break into your home."

He said they will even leave a purse or wallet and only take one or two credit cards. By the time you realize there has been a theft, they may have already had a couple of days or more to use them. (I didn't realize my situation for two full days!) They even give you the courtesy of re-locking your doors for you.

Periodically, walk around your car, especially after you park in a shopping center or other large parking area.

Report thefts immediately....your bank w/missing check numbers, your credit card agencies, police, and insurance companies, etc. end of quote.

The "Hole under door lock" - One would have to look pretty darn close to notice a hole like that. If the hole was on the passenger side I would never see it.
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 07:25   #2
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I'm guessing it's one of those chain messages doing the rounds? I'm going to say it started in the US from the wording.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 07:26   #3
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Some scrote smashed my window and dismantled my steering wheel lock bar that locks onto the wheel and got half way reprogramming a new key via my OBD socket on my Focus last week but a neighbour disturbed them.
£125 for a Disklok and £90 for a new window and £15 for a plastic trim by the window they damaged and the OBD now relocated all is good.
If it wasnt for the cheap lock that took them 3 mins to butcher my car would have gone. The hole below the barrel on a door is an old one they have used for years.
Google the penny in the door handle on youtube for another good one.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 07:54   #4
Stewbacca
Avid contributor

MG ZT+ 1.8T

This is nothing new.

Over 20 years ago it was well known technique for gaining entry. I had a Mk 2 Golf GTi and had it happen to me. They used a screwdriver to punch through the door skin just below the door handle. A quick waggle and the door springs open.

It was so rife that there was a booming market in aftermarket armoured door plates that fitted around the outer door handle. Conveniently these also covered the hole that had been punched through so added extra security and cosmetically covered the damage.
Stewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 08:44   #5
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I had an Astra GTE done the same way, it was recovered the following day with a hole in the drivers door, a screwdriver in the passenger seat and no petrol. Apparently they put the screwdriver in the seat in case they stall it.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 08:55   #6
Jezzer 1
I really should get out more.......

75 V8 Connoisseur SE Saloon: 75 V8 Contemporary SE Saloon and others!!!

I once parked my Range Rover in the car park at Heathrow while I dropped someone off at the terminal. Came back to find the same thing - small hole under the drivers door handle. Fortunately they must have been disturbed 'cos the car was still there. That was years ago, so it's not a new thing.
Old 9th February 2018, 10:07   #7
Terryf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon BRG

So can any of this be done to open our cars?
Terryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 10:26   #8
spongeh
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+ 180 Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewbacca View Post
This is nothing new.

Over 20 years ago it was well known technique for gaining entry. I had a Mk 2 Golf GTi and had it happen to me. They used a screwdriver to punch through the door skin just below the door handle. A quick waggle and the door springs open.

It was so rife that there was a booming market in aftermarket armoured door plates that fitted around the outer door handle. Conveniently these also covered the hole that had been punched through so added extra security and cosmetically covered the damage.
I was just about to post the same thing.... Loved my Mk2 Gti 16v

This is Snopes take on it and it's a bit yay/nay... nothing definitive.

https://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/handle.asp
spongeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 12:48   #9
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryf View Post
So can any of this be done to open our cars?
Can't see how they would do it with just a small hole under the lock - the tumbler to locking assembly connection is by an enclosed cable loop, not a rod.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 15:41   #10
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

It's worse if you have a traders van, it's called peel n steal...

They 'can-opener' a side panel, pull it down and take a peek. if anything of value they keep going until they can get in or reach it.

More often than not the van is empty and the owner is left with an insurance nightmare and, potentially significant loss of income.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote