Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th November 2018, 14:06   #1
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool The Mini tours are back.......................

....................................... but this one has a twist in the tail.

Got Redfive ready for her trip to Torquay today. She will be on holiday with Matt for the next 6 days whilst I take his ZTT, ”Grovey”, on the Mini tour of the UK. It’s that time of the year again for the Classic Car Show at the NEC and “Grovey” is one of the stars on our stand. But because Matt has health problems he decided not to attend himself, but entrusted “Grovey” to me to take. I was going anyway as I had volunteered to man the stand again.

“Grovey” has just returned from the body shop after her encounter with a wayward car driven by a very drunk driver. And looking very good as well. Matt’s mate, Dougie, has cleaned the car inside and out. And I drove home in the pouring Cornish rain, very different from English rain.
I opted to collect “Grovey” today so that I could get used to driving a automatic, not driven one over a great distance for about 40 years, so I needed to know it’s character. After all it’s not my car, yet.

But it’s a delight to drive, once I got used to there being no third pedal. Not unlike driving the Bear, ok so the Bear has more grunt.
“Grovey” is now parked between Banana and the Bear, no doubt they are swapping stories.

We are setting off to the hotel close to the NEC tomorrow about Noon. Going a day early so that I’ll not be so tired on Thursday, after all it’s a long day setting up the stand.
So should you see a Orange Grove ZTT on the road don’t forget to wave, toot or flash those soon to be restored headlights.

I’ll keep the diary running as I know we have a few followers.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2018, 14:33   #2
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

See you at the Weekend Bob.
Old 6th November 2018, 16:11   #3
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
I opted to collect “Grovey” today so that I could get used to driving a automatic, not driven one over a great distance for about 40 years, so I needed to know it’s character. After all it’s not my car, yet.

Old 6th November 2018, 20:54   #4
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 View Post
I've no chance of getting my mitts on this car, but I can dream.

onen hag oll
Old 6th November 2018, 21:00   #5
Cable Tie
Regional Secretary

Orange grove ztt cdti

Thanked 1,381 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
I've no chance of getting my mitts on this car, but I can dream.
Very true bob she’s in my possession till them clogs are popped but if things did change you would be first in line
Old 6th November 2018, 21:14   #6
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable Tie View Post
Very true bob she’s in my possession till them clogs are popped but if things did change you would be first in line
ii

I'll get your clogs greased up as soon as I can.

onen hag oll
Old 6th November 2018, 21:46   #7
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Looking forward to reading of all the adventures Bob, have a great time at the NEC. I'm coming up on the Friday, so will no doubt see you in full flow on the stand .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2018, 15:29   #8
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool You can only hit your nose on the steering wheel..................

.............................................. So many times before your brain registers that you are driving an automatic and not a manual. If "Grovey" had a third pedal it could be used to power the screen washers or maybe dip the headlights. Still I suppose those are ideas from the past will never catch on.

Still we have arrived at the hotel in Balsall Common. From the time I left Saltash at Noon till I got here at 4pm it rained, and I mean RAINED. Bouts of heavy intermingled with torrential. But "Grovey" took it all in her stride and got me here safely.

What is it with these built in satnav's, I was doing ok till the thing brought me off of the M42 too early, then we travelled down narrow country lanes, not as bad as the Cornish ones, no grass growing in the middle of the road here, far too posh going by some of the properties we passed. But at least we are here.
"Grovey" is parked at the back of the hotel and grabbing 40 winks. Very nice Wolsley Hornet parked out front. Will get a photo before it gets too dark.

Nose bag time is 6pm for me this evening. Fancy a nice bit of Sexton Blake. And a non-alcoholic drink, yes that's right non-alcoholic. Not touched a drop for 6 weeks now. Just not been in the mood for a beer or even a malt. Must be ill.
Still I expect I'll get back in the groove this weekend, slowly though.

Never saw a single 75 or a ZT, unless they were hidden in all the spray.

onen hag oll
Old 8th November 2018, 08:28   #9
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Lousy nights sleep....................

............................................. Nothing new there then.

Had a nice steak for dinner last night, with the usual trimmings. Just had soda and lime to drink. Dessert was Gin Fizz sorbet, must have stood at the top of St.Pauls and showed the sorbet the Gin. Still it refreshed my palate. Posh word for mouth.

So had a nice shower, dressed and off to breakfast. Soon eaten and washed down with lots of tea, need to kill the taste. Over to Sainsburys to get my lunch, meal deal for £4. Then back and brought grubby "Grovey" around to the front so we can be easily seen by the rest of the team. Gave the car a quick wipe over, rain is forecast before we get to the NEC. Anyway car cannot go to the jet wash place as she has only just come out of the paint shop.
Might not be my car but still needs to be treated with respect.

Now waiting for the rest of the team, meeting at 10am, to get our passes and wrist bands. Just seen a nice F1 McLaren, and a Jaguar XK140.

This is my fourth time here. Was here in 2011 showing Blue Thunder my first V8
Then here again in 2014 with Banana. 2017 I was just helping out on the stand and this year I'm back and with another car, might not be mine, but it must be a record. I know Mark has been here before with his Trophy Yellow ZT, and now with the Atomsphere ZT.

Suppose I best go for a wander and see if anyone is in the other car park.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 8th November 2018 at 17:50.. Reason: Colour change on ZT
Old 8th November 2018, 15:19   #10
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool There's always one that's going to be late.....................

.............................................. Well 3 as it happens, but the two following said it wasn't there fault.
Both Tim and Pete parked up in the other car park t'other side of pub. So I brought Grovey round, in the rain. Waste of time giving her a wipe over. We 3 had a chat under the trees whilst we waited for the others.

Not long past 10am in came the other 3 with the Lagoon ZTT leading OVP the Old English White 75 and with Mark following on in his Atomsphere ZT. After a quick chat and the introductions over with it was onwards to the NEC via the car wash as Mark needed to get the dirt off of the car.

Then we trundled into the NEC, the two service barges peeled off to get their day passes whilst the 4 display cars found there way round to hall 4. But we got stuck in a jam which meant the other two got into the hall first.
They needed to be unloaded and back out into the parking area in less than an hour.

Cars unloaded and whilst Pete and Paul took their cars away we set about building the stand. Tim and Mark started cleaning their cars whilst Christopher and I built the stand, we've done this before. With most of the stand built the next job was to get the cars into place. So Grovey first then OVP then Tim's and finally Mark's car on the end.
Christopher and I carried on assembling the various parts and Tim and Mark then set about our cars giving them a clean. By now Pete and Paul had returned.

Soon the stand was ready, both T.V's were working along with the DVD. The lights were working. Display boards were all in place. Pete and Christopher went off to get our passes for the rest of the weekend. So us 4 chatted whilst we waited.
Soon the leaders were pack. So we locked up the shop and wandered back to the cars.
Now back at the hotel and have arranged to meet this evening for nose bag time.

And I've been for a walk to find a post box, couple of birthday cards to be sent. Nice walk up to the box, round trip of 40 minutes. Now back and letting the kettle have a whistle before getting ready, well change of t shirt anyway.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 8th November 2018 at 17:51.. Reason: Aditional info