Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th December 2018, 07:34   #21
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideValve View Post
Yep, I think the future lies in walking :¬)
Incidentally, just been looking at BPs review of energy reserves.
Oil = 50 years
Lithium & Cobalt = 10 to 15 years (and increased in price by 37% last year)
Coal = 130 years
So maybe steam cars are the answer :¬)

https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/en...ull-report.pdf

So, if these figures are in the right ball park, by somewhere about 2040 there won't be any Lithium available for the batteries?

Doesn't that make the current targets/aims a bit stupid?

Or is there some serious whizzo tech about "batteries" that don't use Lithium that I haven't come across?

Or is the current petrol/diesel are bad policies/messages just shooting ourselves in the foot?

Andy
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 09:19   #22
flying_pig
I believe i can fly

MG ZT-T

Its oil and car industries holding it back not to loose their profits
Enough to look at the story of german student that made an audi a2 electric conversion on his own design batteries ranging over 500 miles if i recall correctly been made bankrupt
flying_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 11:15   #23
Carbootboy
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Smile

The future of batteries is not Lithium, its other things like graphene batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
So, if these figures are in the right ball park, by somewhere about 2040 there won't be any Lithium available for the batteries?

Doesn't that make the current targets/aims a bit stupid?

Or is there some serious whizzo tech about "batteries" that don't use Lithium that I haven't come across?

Or is the current petrol/diesel are bad policies/messages just shooting ourselves in the foot?

Andy
Carbootboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 12:51   #24
zedhed
Posted a thing or two

zt saloon turbo

How are commercials going to get on?surely its never gonna work with them.also why havent they made an electric car which works with some kind of dynamo device to generate power as you go along?

Sent from my LG-M160 using Tapatalk
zedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 13:06   #25
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget1960 View Post
Always been interested in the electric car industry, just heard that 'Dyson' (of vacuum fame) is in the throws of designing his own electric car and with his usual no-nonsense approach to design and implementation it will definitely be a winner.....
I wouldn't be so sure - his washing machines never made the podium.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 13:09   #26
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Caveat: Being at work without audio I'm waiting until I get home to watch the video - below are just some general comments on electric vehicles.

GO-:

Can someone smarter than me tell me why is it that electric cars are carrying these huge batteries to get better range when they'd be a twofold advantage to carrying less weight?

Anyone asked themselves why electric trains or scalextric cars don't have batteries onboard?

Imagine if our Motorways and major trunk roads were equipped with strategically placed stretches of road where any equipped electric vehicle could recharge on journey without stopping - and be electronically billed? The battery charge capacity required for a vehicle could be halved. The major problem with electric vehicles is range.

Throwing a bigger heavier battery at the range problem is counter-productive. Telling people 'It's OK - you'll be wanting an hours rest out of every three' is ridiculous.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 13:32   #27
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
How are commercials going to get on?surely its never gonna work with them.also why havent they made an electric car which works with some kind of dynamo device to generate power as you go along?

Sent from my LG-M160 using Tapatalk
They have......Sort of.

Regenerative braking
Old 11th December 2018, 14:38   #28
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Lithium and cobalt are actually used in relatively low concentrations in the current iteration of EV batteries, and their use in batteries is not finite in the way that the use of petrol, diesel or LPG is - they are highly reusable/recyclable. However, as I posted elsewhere on this subject the technology looks set to evolve in the direction of solid-state, high energy density batteries which recharge in a fraction of the time currently needed. Volkswagen has invested $100 million in this technology, so it's not some pie in the sky notion.

You can no more generate power as you go along than you can get your internal combustion engine to reverse the reaction and create fuel out of exhaust gases. However, I did read about a few projects like THIS and THIS which use the air turbulence of passing traffic to rotate vertical turbines at the roadside, thus providing power for road lighting. The Scalextric comparison isn't completely outlandish - wireless charging does exist and there are proof-of-concept installations you can look up. I'm just not so sure that the infrastructure costs will be as low as continuing to extend the ever-growing charging network for EVs. The likes of Ionity are committed to having a network of 400 superfast charging stations around Europe (where you can be ready to go in 15-20 minutes) by 2020.

Happily, between that and the new normal for range being a minimum of 170+ miles on a charge (with other options around 300 miles already on the market), the notion of range anxiety on long trips is becoming a thing of the past.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 23:39   #29
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
Yea steam all the way
Oh no. Head gasket gone.
Old 12th December 2018, 11:53   #30
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

" wireless charging does exist " ... true , so does simple plug-in charging . BUt look at the way thats evolved, different plugs , different voltages , different charging rates and different ways of paying .
Wireless charging ??? sorry sir we use a different system .

Omega
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote