Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th April 2019, 11:41   #1
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Default My Volvo hit by uninsured Czech

Last night 10.30ish I was hit by a Skoda Felicia running a red light. Now waiting for the insurance company to get back to me.

Damage to front offside wing and drivers door, wheel, steering etc. etc. Front wheels now point in different directions and tons of negative camber on the wheel. Actual body damage not to much, but Police attending said his BMW hit same place by a red light jumper that had not much damage showing but steering drive train damage made it a write off.

Car was on Czech plates 4 up and driver being urged to drive off but with road blocked he couldn't. All 4 then got on phones and within minutes a another car on Czech plates turned up and kept driving round but on realising old bill on the way cleared off. My son was with me and he worked in car insurance and took over and asked for his details and insurance. His reply in broken I don't understand English was "What's insurance". Shall we say the alarm bells were now ringing very loudly and as I was still talking to the police she told us they were now on a hurry up run to us. I'm old but large and my son is BIG and I think this helped keep us safe and once they realised that the Police were coming suddenly paperwork appeared. This was car hire paperwork with them in broken English saying it proved they were insured. Logo was Euro Car Hire all in Czech and no English translation as required for insurance. Son said no way is it insured and considering the last Felicia's were made in 2001 and this was dog rough it was just them trying another tack. No way could we see that was a hire car.

Police arrive just as the passengers are trying to encourage the driver to do one and then two of them walk off. I wonder why. Police do their checks and say its definitely not insured and that they are taking it. I couldn't get any details from the driver but the police gave me his name and date of birth and told me he would be done for no insurance. I said what about careless driving he ran the red light. Looked at me with that its to much trouble to pursue look and said nothing. Will wait and see.

So it appears to be were dealing with a suspect hire car driven by an uninsured visitor to our land with no address. Strangely once the Police arrived his broken English became very good English like he's lived here a long time, so I suspect the cars been here for longer than the law allows one to remain on foreign plates and without passing an MOT and having UK insurance and the driver a UK licence. Just the normal for our Eastern Europeans living in Bradford. The car didn't come up at all on PNC and that's how they get away with it. Just say we are visiting or just come over not changed details yet and slip through the system.

My son says that this morning they are probably on the bus or plane back home to avoid repercussions It will cost £150.00 to get the car back and I doubt its worth that plus proof of insurance so expect it will go to the crusher.

My insurance company (Tesco) just been in touch and they are going to get the car picked up Monday Tuesday for inspection but told me to expect it to be a write off. The potential mechanical damage to steering, transmission and Volvo parts prices are making it look 50:50

They are going to try to find the driver and see if he has insurance cover in Europe to claim off otherwise they will go for the uninsured fund to pay and also looking at it being a no fault on my part claim, but I will loose my no claims and excess. What I want to say will blow the swear filters on here I cant say what I think of these people coming over here blatantly abusing the law and regulations and we pay for it. Its NOT ON and Bradford is full of them pulling the same scams forcing up honest peoples insurance. Role on Brexit.

Rant over but I feel so frustrated, I've just put a lot into that car with new discs and pads , service etc, all money lost on top of probably not getting enough to replace it with a low mileage similar one. ARRGGG.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2019, 12:06   #2
ssizefive
I really should get out more.......

Mg Tf160

Sorry to hear this, I don't know if it is possible but try researching the motor insurance bureau, they might be able to offer some assistance as is to do with uninsured drivers. Just not sure how it works though.

Steve.
ssizefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2019, 12:38   #3
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Sorry to hear this. But at least you are both ok and that the car protected you.

233,320. New rear tyres on order for BBB.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2019, 13:41   #4
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Thanks Steve

That's what the insurance company said they will do if they cant trace the guy or any insurance to cover the repairs or whatever.
Old 27th April 2019, 13:44   #5
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
Sorry to hear this. But at least you are both ok and that the car protected you.
Thanks Bob

yes the old girl is well built the drivers door really has did take a bash but the damage is surprisingly slight considering and nothing came into the cabin. I suppose that's Volvos forty and reputation working.
Old 27th April 2019, 16:22   #6
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Some of these foreign drivers just don’t care.

I am regularly past by a Romanian registered Audi on the A406, he sets off at least 3 speed cameras every morning, knowing full well that the UK authorities won’t do anything about the offences.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2019, 18:24   #7
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Not good news! At least the insurance will cover you and you are ok.

Time for another MG Rover?? 😁
Old 27th April 2019, 20:21   #8
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Not good news! At least the insurance will cover you and you are ok.

Time for another MG Rover?? 😁
Not for everyday use, need something to transport dogs etc. and had a long talk with Big Russ today and he's telling me no more 75s for day to day, past their sell by date. I was very interested a few weeks ago in a real beaut but the insurance for a third car was between 1800 and 624 so gave it a miss. Hoped to get classic ins on it but no go now on a 75 under 20 years old. A ZT however you can get classic insurance on it . Seems an MG is an enthusiasts car the 75 an old banger.
A really good auto zt or ztt would l be a consideration possibly but the firmer ride and deterioration in my spine sometimes makes them uncomfortable on Bradfords potholes and speedhumps. Still miss it though was a pity about the clutch hydraulics failing so often and making it to costly and unreliable to keep.for a daily. Now I would have got the Volvo and kept the ZTT on a classic policy with the Triumph but hey ho.
Old 27th April 2019, 20:36   #9
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

It’s strange how different makes have different points at which they are considered to be a classic.

My Saab 93 became a classic when it was 10 years old .
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2019, 22:51   #10
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

One of my friends employs 20 odd Polish workers, he was fed up with British workers never turning up or doing a week and then not coming back.

Anyway most have cars and 75% of them are still on Polish plates so they can avoid our legalities. One had an accident at the end of the road where his factory is and the police were called, as the rest tried to leave work they were all pulled over and most had there cars clamped and towed. Within a couple of weeks they all had another car from Poland.

He was telling me it is cheaper for them to fly over to Poland, buy a car and drive it back than insure and tax one over here.

I bet if we tried the same trick in reverse we would not get away with it.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote