Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th September 2020, 09:59   #1
donc
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Default Premiumfuel

After sometime using supermarket fuel I recently changed to premium in an attempt to improve emissions and a smokey exhaust. Must report it has worked wonders . The car a 1.8t runs smoother and the exhaust is visibly cleaner. Has anyone else found this?
donc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2020, 10:22   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Only when towing a caravan have a noticed an improvement, normally I'd just fill up with standard. Now I have a diesel I just used standard towing or solo

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2020, 11:29   #3
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Never used supermarket fuel - my mechanic says they don't put as many additives in, which it why it is all of £2.00 per fill up cheaper. Not worth the risk.
coolguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2020, 11:45   #4
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

Supermarket fuel is garbage, I tend to avoid at all costs unless its the works van.

The main benefit of premium fuels seems to be the added detergents they put in to keep the engine and fuel systems cleaner, though you are likely to see a benefit of this only through prolonged use, not just a single fill up of premium once or twice a year.

That being the case, I would think premium fuel would be of more benefit to diesel owners as it tends to be a dirtier fuel in the engine.

If you are after economy benefits, it's a bit of a grey area.

I'm not sure about diesel as I've never owned a diseasel, but with petrol, a higher RON fuel typical of premium unleaded allows you to more comfortably change up a gear at slightly lower revs due to an increase in low down torque.

I am adamant I can feel this in my 75 - running on supermarket fuel it just feels lazy so you have to give it an extra 200-300rpm before shifting up, particularly noticeable when on a slight incline.

This is where you can in theory save a few pennies on your cost of fuel as changing up earlier means you keep the revs down which in turn means you are using less fuel. Whether it outweighs the additional cost of putting the premium fuel in your tank is another argument altogether.

I don't believe there is any economy benefit to using a premium fuel if you are sitting at 70 on the motorway all the time - the benefit is to be had lower down in the rev range.

Personally, I only use premium because I like the idea that it keeps the fuel system and engine cleaner than a cheaper fuel, which I appreciate when running an older set of vehicles such as ours.

I have read many stories about people that struggled to get their older cars through the MOT due to failing the emissions tests, but a good use of premium fuel beforehand seems to get it through.

I previous had an Alfa Romeo MiTo with the TwinAir engine (900cc, 2-cylinder, turbocharged) and it ran like absolute shizz on supermarket fuel and sounded like a bag of spanners - it was notably better on premium.
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2020, 12:01   #5
cantabro75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conn SE 2004

I use allways premiun diesel ( optima is called here)
my car is Stage 1 to 175 cv.
Economy ? well i made 80 klm dayle 95% motorway and 5% 5 city
Driving 95-100klm /h i made 5.8 liters on 100klm
driving 120-130 i made 6.5 liters on same
i think not so bad for a 16 years old car whit 243.000 klm
Old 10th September 2020, 13:34   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Mike Noc on here was reported to have some of the best injectors on the forum, he only ever uses supermarket diesel i think, his car is now 400,000 miles and counting if i am right.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 10th September 2020 at 13:59..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2020, 17:38   #7
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

You'll also find respected all singing all dancing fuel additive products which contain the extra detergents and injector and fuel line cleaners put into premium fuel which also raise the cetane or octane rating of your fuel much much cheaper than using the premium fuel at 10p a litre extra.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2020, 08:45   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Mike Noc on here was reported to have some of the best injectors on the forum, he only ever uses supermarket diesel i think, his car is now 400,000 miles and counting if i am right.
Yes now 407k Steve and still running fine.

It was my company car for the first couple of years so I used the cheapest derv I could find, and it was serviced as per the schedule every 15k miles.

When I bought it I carried on the service regime and continued to fill up as cheaply as I could and on this particular diesel it has worked well.

Nothing lubricated by the oil has ever been replaced, and the injectors have never been out.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2020, 09:16   #9
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I have to agree the premium fuel seems to make my van run better, I usually put BP but I lent it to a mate and he filled it up as a thank you. I seemed flat and was under performing. I asked him what he had put in it and he just said '' what ever they sell in Sainsbury's''. 400 miles later I put the BP back in and it was back to normal.

The supermarkets but what ever they can get hold of. There was a problem a few years ago that one of them I think it was Tesco's was bunging up filters or causing problems in some way.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2020, 18:53   #10
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Yes now 407k Steve and still running fine.

It was my company car for the first couple of years so I used the cheapest derv I could find, and it was serviced as per the schedule every 15k miles.

When I bought it I carried on the service regime and continued to fill up as cheaply as I could and on this particular diesel it has worked well.

Nothing lubricated by the oil has ever been replaced, and the injectors have never been out.

Quick query Mike, do you use injector cleaner at all?

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote