Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th September 2012, 18:36   #1
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Default clone of ecu (ems)

My trials with a suspect ECU continue and following advice I had seen on the forum decided to send the unit off to Actronics here in Sweden. Couple of minor snags: Actronics won't deal with private owners so a quick call to my scrapyard friend to be the formal sender and they'd never seen a Rover 75 ECU before, but were willing to forego any examination fee. Sounds good....

Posted, then at the end of the week friend called saying that Actronics couldn't communicate with the unit as it has been tampered with or perhaps chipped but they could source a replacement unit at a cost of 3,900skr + vat = 4875skr £460! But no guarantee as they had been unable to test the original unit.

As the car's had one previous owner aged 74 I didn't really see him chipping the Connie, and knew that an ECU on it's own would have to be recoded, T4s are non-existent machines around here.

Further written contact was different. No immediate signs of being tampered with but the connector was damaged. The high, list price was for obtaining, checking a used unit and then cloning my ECU.

Another thing I found "funny" was that my cheap OBD reader could read the ECU DTCs (and clear them) but their equipment could not read the ECU.

My knowledge of electronics is limited but I have cloned enough computer hard drives to know that if you can't read the original you won't be able to clone it, so I have asked that my ECU be returned and expect it on Monday.

Is it just me being suspicious and not understanding things? Can it be possible to clone a ECU when the original can't be read? Note I haven't mentioned what I thought of the cost.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 19:21   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Very suspicious. Try elsewhere.

You would have known if the connector was damaged when you took it off.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 20:16   #3
bse1966
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 ltr Diesel Tourer Silver

try speaking to marinabrian or bigruss as they are good with ecus and m be able to help you and maybe be alot cheaper

good luck
This vehicle was the 3,415th 75 Tourer in Zircon Silver Metallic (code: MUM) to be made out of 3,958 Zircon Silver Metallic 75 Tourers
bse1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 21:09   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
My trials with a suspect ECU continue and following advice I had seen on the forum decided to send the unit off to Actronics here in Sweden. Couple of minor snags: Actronics won't deal with private owners so a quick call to my scrapyard friend to be the formal sender and they'd never seen a Rover 75 ECU before, but were willing to forego any examination fee. Sounds good....

Posted, then at the end of the week friend called saying that Actronics couldn't communicate with the unit as it has been tampered with or perhaps chipped but they could source a replacement unit at a cost of 3,900skr + vat = 4875skr £460! But no guarantee as they had been unable to test the original unit.

As the car's had one previous owner aged 74 I didn't really see him chipping the Connie, and knew that an ECU on it's own would have to be recoded, T4s are non-existent machines around here.

Further written contact was different. No immediate signs of being tampered with but the connector was damaged. The high, list price was for obtaining, checking a used unit and then cloning my ECU.

Another thing I found "funny" was that my cheap OBD reader could read the ECU DTCs (and clear them) but their equipment could not read the ECU.

My knowledge of electronics is limited but I have cloned enough computer hard drives to know that if you can't read the original you won't be able to clone it, so I have asked that my ECU be returned and expect it on Monday.

Is it just me being suspicious and not understanding things? Can it be possible to clone a ECU when the original can't be read? Note I haven't mentioned what I thought of the cost.

Regards
It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a DDE4 ECM to be able to be "cloned", i certainly would be able to
It doesn't say in you profile which engine variant your car is, but if it were a diesel I would expect it to be a NNN100720.
I only found one ECM to be unreadable, however if your ECM communicates with your OBD reader I would expect it to communicate with my equipment.

You don't point out here why you suspect your ECM to be defective, however I'm sure help is just around the corner.
Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 08:56   #5
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Default ECU clone

Good morning and thanks for the replies so far.

Will amend profile: Rover 75 2.0 kv6 auto connie and the reason I suspect the ECU is the faults P0353 Ignition coil C primary/secondary circuit and P0356 ditto coil F. Changed plugs, leads, coils by new purchase and swopped around. Cleared DTCs, misfires on either cylinder 3 or 5 and once on both. As I understand the firing sequence is governed by the ECU suspect unit.

I don't doubt for a second that Actronics (or MarinaBrian) have the equipment & knowledge to clone an ECU it's just the way it came across. Actronics first say they can't read the original ECU but can clone it, which doesn't add up in my thinking.

I've got a nice little app on my stationary called "Carbon Copy Cloner" which I've used many a time but if the original hard drive is unreadable then a clone is impossible and I don't see how this situation differs.

As Brian says if my cheap OBD can communicate then he would expect it to communicate with his equipment. And I agree which is why I find the Actronics statement so contradictory.

So plan A is to get a substitute kit from ebay and then once I've wheels again perhaps send the original unit off for cloning. And while I'm really tempted to send to Actronics in Colchester think I'll try another expert perhaps a bit further north.

Thanks for input

Last edited by vitesse; 9th September 2012 at 09:31.. Reason: engine type
Old 13th September 2012, 17:19   #6
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Default ECU clone continued.....

Doesn't everyone just love a happy ending, or sometimes on the forum any ending....

My 75 Connie is now in full health, running on all six thanks to a ECU kit from ebay member scpmgroverpartsco. Excellent communication and perfect working order, will be using him again. And thanks to Parcelforce, yes Parcelforce! Parcel posted in UK on Tuesday and arrived here in Sweden today, must be a record.

All went well, had some problem with the EWS security screws but a few taps with a 12" cold chisel & 5 pound hammer and the screws decided to give in.

Thanks to people who offered advice/sympathy and even those who have posted about this subject earlier on here & org. I couldn't have managed without the on-line information.

Just got to watch my license now...

Regards