Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th June 2015, 08:50   #11
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayH View Post
If I remember correctly it is either a franchise or appointed dealer network, so a lot will depend on the individuals you deal with. Not that this helps anyone but I've had great service from the Swansea branch on previous cars.
Some time ago I asked for Longlife 'dealer' recommendations but unfortunately it met with little response.Personally I would travel anywhere in the UK to the branch/es found to offer the best prices,quality of workmanship and customer service.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 09:42   #12
RayH
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
Personally I would travel anywhere in the UK to the branch/es found to offer the best prices,quality of workmanship and customer service.
A combination that you are unlikely to find
RayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 10:58   #13
Jason Freeman

Volvo S60

Default Response to original post

Hi all

I hope you don't mind me getting in on this. Longlife have always had a good relationship with this forum so I do tend to check it from time to time.

With regards the diameter of the pipe work - you are correct that the original pipe work on the MG is 60mm although that is with the O.E. restrictive chambered silencers. When we build a new system on a n/a car, we are mostly using free flowing silencers with the gas running straight through. Consequently the pipe diameter does not need to be quite as large. If the bore size increases and using straight through silencers, the exhaust gas actually slows down as there is more space for it to fill. As a result of the gas spending more time inside the tubing, the sound can be rather boomy which is not to most people's liking. For this reason, it's common to reduce the bore size by one step from the original size, speeding up the gasses. This won't affect your performance (in fact it would if anything help it), will help increase fuel efficiency and also get a sound that is better on the ear.

If someone specifically requests a certain bore size then we would of course always strive to meet the customer's needs (within reason) and this would be detailed on our job sheet. We would however, always try and recommend an alternative if the customer has the wrong idea - we have heard all sorts of crazy ideas that people have read off the internet or heard down the pub and have subsequently taken as gospel.

I certainly understand the original poster's concern but can assure you that Dan in Carshalton has done the right thing when he's built the exhaust. As someone else mentioned, it's not really a warranty issue here (although if a bore size has been specified and not used I may look upon this differently). We always stand by our warranty - it's what Longlife is built on. I've done warranty work from people who have had their vehicle over 10 years and were surprised that we were so welcoming of sorting it.

Hope that helps clear things up and thank you all for your support over the years, we've had a number of jobs that have come to us directly from this forum.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions or respond to anyone with PMs should you so wish.

Regards

Jason - Longlife
Jason Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 11:10   #14
visfix
Gets stuck in

Peugeot 508 GT

You really can't say fairer than that!
visfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 14:34   #15
Laney
Regular poster

MG ZT-T in Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Freeman View Post
Hi all

I hope you don't mind me getting in on this. Longlife have always had a good relationship with this forum so I do tend to check it from time to time.

With regards the diameter of the pipe work - you are correct that the original pipe work on the MG is 60mm although that is with the O.E. restrictive chambered silencers. When we build a new system on a n/a car, we are mostly using free flowing silencers with the gas running straight through. Consequently the pipe diameter does not need to be quite as large. If the bore size increases and using straight through silencers, the exhaust gas actually slows down as there is more space for it to fill. As a result of the gas spending more time inside the tubing, the sound can be rather boomy which is not to most people's liking. For this reason, it's common to reduce the bore size by one step from the original size, speeding up the gasses. This won't affect your performance (in fact it would if anything help it), will help increase fuel efficiency and also get a sound that is better on the ear.

If someone specifically requests a certain bore size then we would of course always strive to meet the customer's needs (within reason) and this would be detailed on our job sheet. We would however, always try and recommend an alternative if the customer has the wrong idea - we have heard all sorts of crazy ideas that people have read off the internet or heard down the pub and have subsequently taken as gospel.

I certainly understand the original poster's concern but can assure you that Dan in Carshalton has done the right thing when he's built the exhaust. As someone else mentioned, it's not really a warranty issue here (although if a bore size has been specified and not used I may look upon this differently). We always stand by our warranty - it's what Longlife is built on. I've done warranty work from people who have had their vehicle over 10 years and were surprised that we were so welcoming of sorting it.

Hope that helps clear things up and thank you all for your support over the years, we've had a number of jobs that have come to us directly from this forum.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions or respond to anyone with PMs should you so wish.

Regards

Jason - Longlife
I 100% agree with this statement, with years of experience working on a rolling road I can say that a turbo car requires only a small amount of back pressure as the turbo is forcing the exhaust gasses out, an n/a vehicle regardless of engine size requires back pressure to keep the engine running as it should. When you replace the standard exhaust system with a free flowing system you could lose performance due to the lack of back pressure.
Also as Jason said, too larger pipe work and you will get the 'boom' or 'drowning' effect which will end up annoying you each time you sit on a motorway or dual carriage way.

In my opinion, the person who made that exhaust was experienced and knew what he was doing dropping down 5mm and as you said you have been happy with the sound and performance for 5 years.
Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 15:01   #16
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney View Post
I 100% agree with this statement, with years of experience working on a rolling road I can say that a turbo car requires only a small amount of back pressure as the turbo is forcing the exhaust gasses out,
What sort of increases did you typically see when a free flowing exhaust is fitted to a turbo'd car?

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 15:39   #17
Laney
Regular poster

MG ZT-T in Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
What sort of increases did you typically see when a free flowing exhaust is fitted to a turbo'd car?
Hard to say as they all perform differently but my 1.8T was a consistent 154bhp but when I had the powerflow fitted and modified the air box and reset the ecu I gained 9 bhp and 12nm of torque but I put that mainly down to the air box.

It is not all about power gains, it is also how the engine reacts to the mods, the exhaust let it pull better and also the turbo seemed to spool up a little quicker.
Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 17:59   #18
zedziczek
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

Quote:
Hi all

Regards

Jason - Longlife
Jason Thank you for profesional answer, what I can say ?, the person who spoke with me over the phone have completely different attitude than you and arguments which he used are different than yours tell me what am I supposed to think about this ?
zedziczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 18:19   #19
zedziczek
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney View Post
In my opinion, the person who made that exhaust was experienced and knew what he was doing dropping down 5mm and as you said you have been happy with the sound and performance for 5 years.
Please stop changing my words I didn't say enything about performance, but I must say I really happy with my car also I can't compare to another 190 because I have only one 190 and thx to Jason I'll happy again with my exhaust, just person from this branch where I fix my system should star to talk with customers different way
zedziczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 20:32   #20
190SETOURING
Posted a thing or two

MG ZTT 180se,MG ZT 260se Monogram

Quote:
Hi all

Regards

Jason - Longlife
Still wouldnt use them, when i first emailed them i didnt get a reply and when i did it was nearly double the price of another branch! A friend of mine was quoted less to build a twin exit system for his 3.2 omega by the same branch, they just pull prices out of the air. I know they are not bothered but they have lost my business.
190SETOURING is offline   Reply With Quote