Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st May 2018, 11:44   #1
tigers1941
Loves to post

Rover75 Saloon

Default Mot

MOT failed at a small local garage, the reasons being
Offside Rear Suspension arm corroded, and both Front anti roll bar linkage ball joint dust covers.
I ordered the parts from Mat who provided an excellent service, but job at the Garage was held up because of holidays, and as we know now you can't move your car after a fail.
Anyway it passed yesterday with no advisories, they said they had a terrible job removing the parts, cost for labour was £275.
Anyway my 16 year old car is on the road again.
tigers1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 12:08   #2
hinged_bap
Gets stuck in

75 CDT Conn SE Auto saloon

that could work out at circa 5 maybe 6 hours work. I don't think that is too bad if the parts were hard to remove. I'm guessing the inner bolt that holds the rear arm was seized which then required a subframe drop and/or the top nuts that hold the droplinks were seized. Peeps on here usually saw a bit of the thread off, there is way too much of it.
hinged_bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 12:45   #3
tigers1941
Loves to post

Rover75 Saloon

That is correct said it took around 6 hours to do the work, two of my friends use this garage all the time, so must be right what they say.
Old 31st May 2018, 22:19   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Six hours is an awful long time to undo three bolts for the rear arm, and four nuts to do the drop links.

The difference between doing the job lying on your back, and on a two post lift are poles apart, and I did two rear arms, two rose joint bushes and a couple of brake pipes in the same time, on my back with the car on axle stands.

You have to wonder, though

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 22:24   #5
Madderz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I had a very similar experience with garage our firm has always used.....
I ended up getting a discount and a free mot because of how long it took and that they broke my bonnet cables!
Madderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2018, 06:02   #6
tigers1941
Loves to post

Rover75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Six hours is an awful long time to undo three bolts for the rear arm, and four nuts to do the drop links.

The difference between doing the job lying on your back, and on a two post lift are poles apart, and I did two rear arms, two rose joint bushes and a couple of brake pipes in the same time, on my back with the car on axle stands.

You have to wonder, though

Brian
Brian if you only lived closer I would use you no problem, you are one of the experts working on our great cars, Garages now have us all ways under the new MOT laws.
Old 1st June 2018, 09:33   #7
zedhed
Posted a thing or two

zt saloon turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers1941 View Post
MOT failed at a small local garage, the reasons being
Offside Rear Suspension arm corroded, and both Front anti roll bar linkage ball joint dust covers.
I ordered the parts from Mat who provided an excellent service, but job at the Garage was held up because of holidays, and as we know now you can't move your car after a fail.
Anyway it passed yesterday with no advisories, they said they had a terrible job removing the parts, cost for labour was £275.
Anyway my 16 year old car is on the road again.
Thing is they say you cant move it,but what if you cant afford to have it done.i refuse to let anyone work on our cars except me.can it be towed away on a fixed bar or summat?

Sent from my LG-M160 using Tapatalk
zedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2018, 09:50   #8
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
Thing is they say you cant move it,but what if you cant afford to have it done.i refuse to let anyone work on our cars except me.can it be towed away on a fixed bar or summat?

If you are the only one to work on your car then you will surely have a reasonable expectation of the the car passing the MOT without a major fail before you present it.
With the newest of our cars around 13 years old and many of the likely MOT fail points now very well known I'm suprised that anyone (I know there will be valid exceptions) would just take a 75/ZT or any other 13+ year old car for an MOT test without some sort of pre MOT check.
Not being critcal of anyone ..Just my thoughts
Cheers Ian
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2018, 09:53   #9
zedhed
Posted a thing or two

zt saloon turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
If you are the only one to work on your car then you will surely have a reasonable expectation of the the car passing the MOT without a major fail before you present it.
With the newest of our cars around 13 years old and many of the likely MOT fail points now very well known I'm suprised that anyone (I know there will be valid exceptions) would just take a 75/ZT or any other 13+ year old car for an MOT test without some sort of pre MOT check.
Not being critcal of anyone ..Just my thoughts
Cheers Ian
Very true ian.although most parts on my car are new now,something can easily be missed i suppose.

zedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2018, 10:23   #10
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Its just because idiots ruin it for good honest people.. they have had too many cars leaving the MOT station with a failed MOT and then just driving round for weeks.
So they have now employed a "no move if failed" rule... which to be honest is fair enough.
But i dont have any issues as i never ever take a car for an MOT with known faults, i mean silly things that wont affect an MOT sure.. but nothing (unless i really dont know about it) and i ALWAYS take the car for its MOT some time before hand so if there is anything major my friend just gives me a heads up before actually ticketing the car a fail.

Best way really, its a trust thing.. everyone local knows how much i care for my cars and that i'd never drive round unsafe.
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote