Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st May 2016, 15:29   #1
Lord of Hog
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 in Wedgwood Blue

Default KV6 thermostat bolt

I might have known it. I took my 2.5 out for a run today after discovering and sorting out some air in the cooling system last weekend. A quick blast down the M23 and back; she went like a rocket and the temperature never went above 86. "I've cracked it", I thought. On getting home I thought I'd have one last look, took off the acoustic cover and suddenly, as if Satan had vomited on my duvet, there was a V full of coolant.

I've now taken it all apart in anticipation of the new thermostat etc arriving. I'd intended using the keyhole method but I couldn't get at the bolt holding the housing and elbow in place. So, off came the upper manifold chamber but it was still a major undertaking to get at the bolt and undo it. Surely there's an easier way to get at one piggin' bolt? Suggestions?

Oh, and just in passing, while it may be a good idea to put all the bits you take off in the boot for safe keeping, DO check that your boot will open on the key alone before shutting the lid and putting the battery somewhere safe!

Conformity is not morality.
Consensus is not truth.
Lord of Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2016, 15:47   #2
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Hog View Post
I might have known it. I took my 2.5 out for a run today after discovering and sorting out some air in the cooling system last weekend. A quick blast down the M23 and back; she went like a rocket and the temperature never went above 86. "I've cracked it", I thought. On getting home I thought I'd have one last look, took off the acoustic cover and suddenly, as if Satan had vomited on my duvet, there was a V full of coolant.

I've now taken it all apart in anticipation of the new thermostat etc arriving. I'd intended using the keyhole method but I couldn't get at the bolt holding the housing and elbow in place. So, off came the upper manifold chamber but it was still a major undertaking to get at the bolt and undo it. Surely there's an easier way to get at one piggin' bolt? Suggestions?

Oh, and just in passing, while it may be a good idea to put all the bits you take off in the boot for safe keeping, DO check that your boot will open on the key alone before shutting the lid and putting the battery somewhere safe!
Hi.
Although the bolt looks a nightmare by the keyhole method it is actually quite easy.
You need a quarter inch drive with a long extension or two joined together, at the end a quarter universal joint makes the job much easier and of course the 10mm socket. I taped the extensions and universal together and put a little blue tac in the socket, mine came out a doddle through one of the gaps in the manifold.
I had two duff new thermostats so I am happy to do training courses on the keyhole method
Old 21st May 2016, 16:57   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... the temperature never went above 86. "I've cracked it", I thought.
Actually Russell, that should have rung alarm bells. The thermostat doesn't open until 88°C.
Quote:
Surely there's an easier way to get at one piggin' bolt?
There is: remove one of the inlet manifolds (I forget which one, but it will be obvious as you're nearly there).

Simon
Old 21st May 2016, 19:11   #4
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Actually Russell, that should have rung alarm bells. The thermostat doesn't open until 88°C.

There is: remove one of the inlet manifolds (I forget which one, but it will be obvious as you're nearly there).

Simon
My cooling system is solid, no leaks. And mine doesn't tend to get about 85, I have had a replacement thermostat from DMGRS fitted, my engine takes about 10 mins to warm up. But I haven't had any issues.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2016, 19:25   #5
Lord of Hog
Gets stuck in

I have to say that, except when queuing for a long time on a warm day or coming to a halt after running for a while at high speed mine has never gone above 90°. Normal temperature until I cleared the airlocks was 87°. Didn't I read something somewhere about some thermostats opening at 82°? Either way I shall bung a new one in and replace the expansion tank to thermostat and heater hose, which I noticed had evidence of a small leak, and see what the result is. And while the top chamber's off at least I can change the plugs. It's an ill wind and all that

Consensus is not truth.
Old 21st May 2016, 19:57   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
... my engine takes about 10 mins to warm up.
Your thermostat must be stuck open Jamie. Mine takes about 2 minutes.
Quote:
... mine has never gone above 90°. Normal temperature until I cleared the airlocks was 87°.
Yours likewise Russell.
Quote:
Didn't I read something somewhere about some thermostats opening at 82°?
Probably, but that's incorrect (for OEM). My housing was labelled 82° but I tested it and it did not begin opening until 88°C, which is what RAVE specifies.

Simon
Old 21st May 2016, 21:12   #7
Salad-Dodger
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 190

When the bolt is out, cut a slot in the top and use a long screw-driver to do it up. Or, you could fit an allen bolt and use a long (wabble) key. Its not there to keep it on. Its there to prevent it coming off! No need to do it up over-tight. Re-fit using washing-up liquid on the "O" rings and be double careful not to snag them when pushed into place.
As Simon has said, your stat is stuck open! My unit regulaly gets to 100 deg. Fan comes on and cools it to 95 when the fan turns off. This cycle repeats itself in heavy traffic but 90 to 96 on motorways unless climbing hills. Then 98 to 100 but that's rare.
Steve
Salad-Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2016, 21:49   #8
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
.Surely there's an easier way to get at one piggin' bolt? Suggestions?
As Trevor mentioned, you can use a 9" & 6" extension bar, you can feed the long bar through the manifold at the left side opening, there is a How To by Artic on here somewhere with a good photo, but I cannot find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
I had two duff new thermostats so I am happy to do training courses on the keyhole method
Where did you purchase the first two thermostats Trevor?
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 06:31   #9
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Your thermostat must be stuck open Jamie. Mine takes about 2 minutes.
My first one from DMGRS was stuck open, but he sent a replacement, I have heard that some replacements do open at 82c, which would explain it. I'm not to fussed about it, I'd rather it run a little cool than a little hot!
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 10:30   #10
Lord of Hog
Gets stuck in

The other slightly disconcerting thing I noticed while dismantling it was that I was able to remove the thermostat assembly before the elbow pipe. Since the elbow sits higher than the main body, and therefore needs to have its own flange sitting on top of the thermostat body flange to achieve the higher position, should this be possible?

Consensus is not truth.