Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd November 2010, 13:20   #1
Robmoz

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Steel Seal anyone?

Rover 75 (2001) 2 litre V6 Manual Saloon - 64,000 on clock approx

I've had an intermittent overheating problem which has recently got a lot worse, with coolant regularly spewing out of the expansion cap. My local garage (all ex-Rover guys) have tried K Seal without any luck and tell me the next step is replacement head gasket, or possibly new engine. I've read about a product called Steel Seal which professes to 'cure' head gasket problems with one application. My local garage, who have been great with us by the way, have said that it is the same sort of product as K Seal and won't make a difference. To be honest I'm desperate - can't afford the repairs, can't afford another car, so will try (almost) anything. Just wondered if anyone out there has used it and whether they've had any success with it.
Robmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 17:23   #2
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

steelseal is suppose to be superior to k-seal ,what i have read about steel seal it is a friendlier product for your engie and wont block water ways in the way k-seal does.. in tests i read 100 cars with really bad hgf was treated with it and 97 cars was transformed ,now it this the true or is it hype to sell the product ?i would though flush the system and make sure on refilling it there is n air left in the and replace the header tank cap to the uprated one . if its alway coming out of there thenn the seal may be gone ...
Old 22nd November 2010, 17:40   #3
Cymrudragon
I really should get out more.......

MGZTT2.5 V6 190+ SE 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmoz View Post
Rover 75 (2001) 2 litre V6 Manual Saloon - 64,000 on clock approx

I've had an intermittent overheating problem which has recently got a lot worse, with coolant regularly spewing out of the expansion cap. My local garage (all ex-Rover guys) have tried K Seal without any luck and tell me the next step is replacement head gasket, or possibly new engine. I've read about a product called Steel Seal which professes to 'cure' head gasket problems with one application. My local garage, who have been great with us by the way, have said that it is the same sort of product as K Seal and won't make a difference. To be honest I'm desperate - can't afford the repairs, can't afford another car, so will try (almost) anything. Just wondered if anyone out there has used it and whether they've had any success with it.
As ex rover guys they should know that the kv6 suffer with air locks which cause 99% of over heating , or lack of coolent, and to put k seal in the coolent without diagnosing a hg is amiture really as this is quite easy to detect if they have the equipment , eg sniff test,compression test etc....are you regularly toping up the coolent ??? is the cap for the header tank ok and is the correct one should be 140 psi.....are the heaters cold or do they go cold after a run
Cymrudragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 17:59   #4
FredSpencer
Passed Away

Typhoon ZT 190+ Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyboy View Post
... and wont block water ways in the way k-seal does.. ...
I've had K-seal in my engine for over a year now and driven about 9,000 miles ...... how much longer have I got before the blockage occurs?

Have you ever actually used it?
FredSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:13   #5
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredSpencer View Post
I've had K-seal in my engine for over a year now and driven about 9,000 miles ...... how much longer have I got before the blockage occurs?

Have you ever actually used it?
well 1 year ? i would say you have been lucky ,was the head gasket blown or just losing water ?
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:16   #6
FredSpencer
Passed Away

Typhoon ZT 190+ Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyboy View Post
well 1 year ? i would say you have been lucky ,was the head gasket blown or just losing water ?
Dunno, couldn't find where the loss was from and the K-seal has proved to be doing what the manufacturers claim for it.
FredSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:25   #7
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Back to the OP's problem, before adding any more "stuff", you need to check a) fan operation and b) that there are no air locks in the system which is more likely
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:39   #8
Cymrudragon
I really should get out more.......

MGZTT2.5 V6 190+ SE 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
Back to the OP's problem, before adding any more "stuff", you need to check a) fan operation and b) that there are no air locks in the system which is more likely

Did say that in my post but for some reason been totaly ignored not the first time this week , getting the feeling iv been black balled, or banned is this post visable on screen or am i the only one who can see it
Cymrudragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:41   #9
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymrudragon View Post
Did say that in my post but for some reason been totaly ignored not the first time this week , getting the feeling iv been black balled, or banned is this post visable on screen or am i the only one who can see it
no.....it happens all the time.......don't take it personally, If I did I'd I've left ages ago....
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:43   #10
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
Agree, cooling fan is an easy check, should always start with free checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymrudragon View Post
Cymrudragon, Why are you posting blank posts??

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote