Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th September 2017, 18:14   #1
Daddio

mg zt

Default radio displays but no sound

Hi everyone, possibly a very strange fault for a very clever person here.
My kenwood radio lost all sound last week but the display is ok, so power to the radio okay. Tried the cd multichanger , just a tiny bit of intermittent crackling. Okay, thank goodness I'd bought a cd80 unit last year but never got round to fitting it.
Popped the cd80 unit in and it powered up fine, great sound, tuned the preset stations in. The next time I started the car I'd lost all sound but the display is okay, ie original symptoms.
Therefore it seems okay to deduce the problem is with the car and not the radio.
Any ideas?
Daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 09:49   #2
Daddio

mg zt

Default problem sorted (I think)

further investigation and one minute the kenwood radio was working and then it wasn't, and also the same with the cr80 (not cd80) radio. I can't understand that, however, I found an amazing rats nest of wiring inside the dash. This must be from when the car had a sat nav fitted and a previous owner has taken it with them, but rather than simply disconnect the sat nav it looks like someone has taken a hacksaw to the wiring, leaving lots of bare wire behind the dash which I have attempted to tape up to prevent shorting.

Now my cr80 works ( the kenwood still doesn't). Now I have to find the correct cd multichanger and cable.

Thanks for reading
Daddio is offline   Reply With Quote