Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th January 2017, 06:02   #1
chambl01
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Default Modification advice

When I change my bumper to a premium bumper on my 75 is this classified as a modification. I dont believe it is but Mrs thinks it is.
chambl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 06:13   #2
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

The way I see it is that anything added to the car that is different to the car that left the factory is a modification.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 06:52   #3
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

I remember a couple of insurance companies back they even considered the fitting of mud flaps as a modification.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 07:08   #4
thundercat
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
The way I see it is that anything added to the car that is different to the car that left the factory is a modification.
Absolutely correct, when my son was involved in an accident that was not his fault and his car had front end damage. When his insurance company looked at his car they refused to pay for the repairs as in their words " your car has had a modification fitted without our approval". So, what was this modification, he has changed the air breather pipe from a plastic one to a chrome one. We tried getting this sorted through the Financial Ombudsman but they sided with the insurance company. Does all of this sound petty, we have to remember that we are dealing with a car insurance company. No doubt that if he had informed them of this "modification" all would have been ok but no doubt his premium would have gone up. In future he will now ask any car insurance company for their approval before going ahead with ANY modification that is not standard on a car when it was sold new.
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 09:12   #5
buckyhill
Loves to post

mg ztt and mg rv8 and mgtf

I have a Mgrv8 and strive to keep it original, just recently had a new windscreen frame and other mods done, having a carbon fibre frame and not a metal one would this count as a modification.
buckyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 09:26   #6
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

With ref to the "Premium Bumper"As it was on the "Option" list (I believe) how would you/they prove that it was not on the car when you bought the car second hand ??

As with any car you buy if you dont know what is and is not standard fitment on the car how can it be proved that it is a mod?

I know Insurance companies will try to wriggle out of any claims if possible.

So If I buy a car with Comet wheels on it and then change them to say Hairpins how do the Insurance Company prove they were changed hence a modification?as they were an "Option"

Or am I being Nieve.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 09:35   #7
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

I think you're spot on John. In the event of a claim I don't think an insurance company would bother too much...... except maybe if a std 1.3 Corsa on inspection looks like a Touring Car Would also depend too on the value of the claim.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 10:25   #8
OBC John
Regular poster

Jaguar XF-S

I would advise caution here as insurance companies have access to lots of information that Joe Public either can't get to or doesn't know about. For example, if you know the VIN, there is an on-line resource for Jaguar dealers and repairers called "Topix" which you have to register with (most people I know call themselves independent garages or some such). Anyway, this will list EXACTLY what the car had when it came off the production line, down to the last optional extra.
I don't know but I would assume there is a similar resource for Rovers.
Old 20th January 2017, 11:44   #9
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBC John View Post
I would advise caution here as insurance companies have access to lots of information that Joe Public either can't get to or doesn't know about. For example, if you know the VIN, there is an on-line resource for Jaguar dealers and repairers called "Topix" which you have to register with (most people I know call themselves independent garages or some such). Anyway, this will list EXACTLY what the car had when it came off the production line, down to the last optional extra.
Interesting point but what about extras fitted by the dealers before sale? It's a minefield.
Old 20th January 2017, 11:53   #10
oldcarguy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBC John View Post
It's the same with BMW, by putting a VIN number into the BMW website it will list all build details including any extras/upgrades..
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote