Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd October 2020, 10:20   #21
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discofan View Post
Youve got to be wary of anything called "Linglong" = dont think Id be putting those on my car!

Going back 19 or so years ago now when our 1st child was born my wife had a Classic Mini Cooper Sportspack. Lovely car but totally impractical for baby transportation so she took over my beloved Peugeot 405 estate, the Cooper went into the garage. (It could eat a front set of 175/50/13 tyres in 5000 miles!)I bought a 9 year old 1.8 Sierra as a runabout commuter. The tyres on it were deathtraps, I cant remember what brand, or brands as naturally they were varied, it would oversteer round the gentlest of corners, brilliant fun at times but scared the life out of me at others. A set of new budget tyres sorted that out to some degree and I was much reassured.

It never ceases to amaze me the people who know nothing or just dont care enough to check their tyres. Have a look next time you are in a carpark at all the dangerously underinflated and virtually bald tyres folks are running about on.

Nowadays running 4x4s I always try to replace all 4 together with the same quality brand. Those 4 little hand sized squares of rubber are all thats keeping you stuck to the road.
Would never put any of the three brands mention in my post on anything, they were the rubber on the cars at the point of purchase.
Mr bountyfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2020, 12:13   #22
Parisien
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon 2006, MG ZT 190+ 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr bountyfull View Post
About 10 years ago I was running MAXXIS on the MG V8. I had sort of settled on this tyre when doing 40k a year in my previous MGZT Cdti. When I bought the V8 back in 2008 it came fitted with a new set of KUMHO which were ok and lasted around 12k, replacing with the familiar MAXXIS .

Well on a spirit drive in a cold and damp winters day (Glen Coe etc) I lost not only confidence in me, and the car as the car was almost losing traction with the gentlest of acceleration. At a stopping point I got out and check the tyres which were still around 6mm only to find they had delaminated. All four tyre treads were running a few degrees off centre. I proceeded home in the most gingerly of drives and have paid much more attention in tyre selection.

The V8 now runs on either Goodyears (AS2 currently and for 2 sets) or previously Michelin PSP. I have ran Avons on a Fiesta and my now sold 75CDTi and they were good but not just quite as good as the AS2/PSP. I may put Rainsports on my Fiesta van next time around as I would like to experience these. I need A rated for rain (Cumbria) then I like quiet next finally value for money.

I have had a number of cars come with budget tyres (Infinity, Linglong & Accelerra) not certain death but noticeably lacking in the cold and wet of Cumbrian winters. You mainly get what you pay for but by taking heed of others (Here and other information sources) You can get a very good tyre for less than premium.
Reading the last line, what brands are you referring to Mr Bountyfull?

P
Parisien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2020, 22:18   #23
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisien View Post
Reading the last line, what brands are you referring to Mr Bountyfull?

P
I found the Avons good value for wear and wet conditions and low noise.
Mr bountyfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2020, 20:28   #24
ZedTeeT
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Vredestein Sportrac 5, a very good tyre for a good price. Vredestein tyres seem to be often overlooked, which is a shame.
85/C Capri 2.8i Special. Mine 29+ years.
82/X Talbot Tagora SX V6. Restoration project.
11/11 Hyundai I Load CRDi. Van....... nuff said.
ZedTeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2020, 21:08   #25
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Early part of last year I had a 75 that had some expedite tyre's on the front, they had about 6mm of tread, the company's ad must have started with, "Do you want to be frightened to death, do you want your next journey to feel like it is going to be your last?"

Frightening is the only way to describe them, I'd rather walk than have budget tyres on one of my car's.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote