Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th March 2011, 17:19   #1
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

Default Paint work!

Evening gents!

I have need of a professional paint outfit in the Beds/Bucks reigon.

I have had a replacement front wing sprayed up all nice and shiney in JEL by a friend in the business and although the recipe was produced from a computer, the finished colour is out by not a small amount.

It cant be that hard to get right but i would like to get other opinions first.

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 17:23   #2
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

when i had mine done they buffed the whole car up so the whloe car looked like it had been resprayed, mind you the spray job was a perfect match in royal blue,any body shop should be able to help you,personally i cant see how they got the colour wrong in the first place .
Old 15th March 2011, 17:29   #3
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Colour is probably correct. The problem is your car isn't new! so the colour will have dulled/faded over time and the panels surrounding the wing will need to be blended in to the wing, so it's not so obvious that it's been resprayed.

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 160 (sadly now gone!)
2015 BMW 435d GranCoupe XDrive
calibrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 17:39   #4
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

sorry i can't help you with a recommendation of a bodyshop in your area,most well appointed shops can work wonders when it comes to paint suppliers who can supply paints according to colour fade having been exposed to the elements over the years.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 17:40   #5
Tim_Burgess
This is my second home

1999 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5, 2000 75 Classic SE 2.0, 2012 Lancia Delta 3, 2016 Dacia Sandero Ambiance

IIRC there are two different shades of Wedgewood Blue - one for Cowley cars and one for Longbridge. But I guess the paint codes are different.

From personal experience, the darker the colour the more forgiving it is, anything with a high silver content like Wedgewood or Moonstone (or Silver!) will look off if you put the fresly painted panel against the original - hence the reason bodyshops end up spraying the side of the car when only one panel is damaged.
Old 15th March 2011, 17:46   #6
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrax View Post
Colour is probably correct. The problem is your car isn't new! so the colour will have dulled/faded over time and the panels surrounding the wing will need to be blended in to the wing, so it's not so obvious that it's been resprayed.
I cant agree sorry, the newly sprayed wing is completely diferent to any paint on my car inc the door shuts and other parts not exposed to open sunlight.

The wing i am taking off has been resprayed in the past but the repair was pants, however the colour match is spot on so I know it can be done!

The friend who sprayed it said he would flatten off the door and bonnet and blend the colour in, and re laquer. But then i will have an off colour wing with the car forced to match! And more unnecessary paint work to boot!

Pearl Wedgwood blue JEL is not a colour that fades like say solid red or yellow.

So much for computer matching eh!

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Old 16th March 2011, 09:36   #7
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickernick View Post
I cant agree sorry, the newly sprayed wing is completely diferent to any paint on my car inc the door shuts and other parts not exposed to open sunlight.

The wing i am taking off has been resprayed in the past but the repair was pants, however the colour match is spot on so I know it can be done!

The friend who sprayed it said he would flatten off the door and bonnet and blend the colour in, and re laquer. But then i will have an off colour wing with the car forced to match! And more unnecessary paint work to boot!

Pearl Wedgwood blue JEL is not a colour that fades like say solid red or yellow.

Well, obviously I haven't seen your car so I can't see how bad the match is. But as Tim says above, any paint with a high silver content is hard to match, because even the angle it is sprayed at will result in variations in shade, which can be very pronounced.

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 160 (sadly now gone!)
2015 BMW 435d GranCoupe XDrive
calibrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 11:10   #8
empsburna
Gets stuck in

Other Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickernick View Post

Did they match the colour using some sort of spectrophotometer or pick it from a list?
empsburna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 15:00   #9
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

No, the code is entered into a computer containing a databse of all manufacturers paint codes and it supplies the recipie for which the painter chappie can proceed to draw the contents from various cartriges of colour and such like.

I feel this process is too hit and miss as it can not allow for the human error,,say adding a minute drop too much of one ingredient or another,thereby throwing the whole shooting match into confusion!!

Old 16th March 2011, 15:03   #10
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrax View Post
Well, obviously I haven't seen your car so I can't see how bad the match is. But as Tim says above, any paint with a high silver content is hard to match, because even the angle it is sprayed at will result in variations in shade, which can be very pronounced.
yeah, I understand this point totally.

I feel that it needs a touch more silver and a touch less blue!!

Oh well!! Happy days!! I'll get it sorted one way or 'tother.