Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th November 2018, 11:14   #1
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Default Welders in North Wales/Chester area?

My 51 plate conn se just got through its MOT, but the corrosion in the rear sills was highlighted as an advisory, so I need to get it done.

I’ve seen the quality of the work done by TJ Hobbs, but it is a bit far for me, so wondered if anyone can recommend anyone to that standard in the North Wales or Chester area.

Ideally someone who also got photos of the quality like Dawn and others did with Tom.

It is the drivers side that is the worst, but the telltale brown stains on the paint are starting on the passenger side as well, so what would you advise? Get both sides done now, or just do the one, and wait for the other side till it gets bad enough?
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2018, 14:00   #2
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

I'm afraid I am not able to recommend a repair location , but it will almost certainly save money to get them both done in one go .
Have you scraped the stained paint away to see just what is underneath ? It is not uncommon for water to get between the sill and the stonechip coating , causing rust on the outside face of the sill and blistering the paintwork . This is nothing like as bad as rust coming through from inside the sill .
Go on , be brave !
Old 4th November 2018, 18:01   #3
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
I'm afraid I am not able to recommend a repair location , but it will almost certainly save money to get them both done in one go .
Have you scraped the stained paint away to see just what is underneath ? It is not uncommon for water to get between the sill and the stonechip coating , causing rust on the outside face of the sill and blistering the paintwork . This is nothing like as bad as rust coming through from inside the sill .
Go on , be brave !
No, it is a hole I’m afraid. Nothing that cant be fixed, but want a proper job done. Nottingham is a good 3 hours from me, so quite a challenge sorting it out to take it there. Never had the need for a welder before, always got rid of my cars long before they got to that stage, but this one is staying so need to find one.

I have an arc welder myself, but the last time I tried to use it on a car was in an attempt to weld up a crack in the floor under the seat of my Hillman imp maybe 40 years ago now, ended up with a hole instead of a crack, and learned the hard way that welding aint the same as soldering.
Old 4th November 2018, 19:34   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
No, it is a hole I’m afraid. Nothing that cant be fixed, but want a proper job done. Nottingham is a good 3 hours from me, so quite a challenge sorting it out to take it there. Never had the need for a welder before, always got rid of my cars long before they got to that stage, but this one is staying so need to find one.

I have an arc welder myself, but the last time I tried to use it on a car was in an attempt to weld up a crack in the floor under the seat of my Hillman imp maybe 40 years ago now, ended up with a hole instead of a crack, and learned the hard way that welding aint the same as soldering.
https://www.yell.com/s/welders-north+wales.html----------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2018, 21:03   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

How did you get on David ??
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2018, 03:32   #6
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
How did you get on David ??
I am out of the country at the moment, intend to get in to it on my return.