Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd December 2018, 04:17   #1
MWMan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Front Brake Calipers

I'm thinking about replacing my front brake calipers with some new ones. I don't fancy the hassle of using a refurb kit. I could just buy the genuine ones from Rimmers, but £114 each is a bit steep. Has anyone got any recommendations for a good replacement? Would ATE or TRW be an OK replacement for our cars?

Thanks
MWMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2018, 04:55   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

How about these?

LINK
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2018, 09:44   #3
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Or even these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Rover...N/312024002559
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2018, 04:17   #4
MWMan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks for the replies both. However, even though the old girl is knocking on a bit, I want to be sure that the parts are of good enough quality to last her out.

I have bought BIGG RED caliper repair kits in the past and they seem to be of good quality, but I have never bought full calipers from them. Brian's link says the brand is ECR which I have never heard of before.

Can I ask both of you if these are parts you have fitted yourselves and been happy with, or were you just being helpful and showing me some options?

Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 09:23   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I'm not impressed one bit with the quality of the rubber seals in the big red kits, nor the pistons if I'm being totally honest.

I local member brought his car to me an despite the calipers being overhauled within the past 18 months, the dust seals had spilt and the calipers were partially seized.

The advantage of a caliper that has been completely stripped treated and zinc/nickel plated is you do not get rust expansion pushing the outer periphery of the dust seal inward, which causes the piston to stick.

I was taking an example with the eBay link, but I've bought rear calipers from the same supplier and fitted them to one of my own fleet without any problem.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2018, 04:09   #6
MWMan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks Brian. I appreciate the insight.
Old 24th December 2018, 09:19   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I can attest to what Brian is saying (not that he needs attesting lol). Refurbishing a used set of rear calipers with bigg red seals, they had no pliability and split trying to fit over the piston. Inner seals felt dry and brittle too, though they did go in easily, and I only realised they were stiffer when I bought a different set.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2018, 17:25   #8
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

I had a sticking front on my silver cdt last year, and obtained a set of replacements from Mickyboy, and refurbished those with the big red kits. Cant say I had any problems.

Today however my wedgie blue car also developed a sticky front caliper. Unfortunately it was exactly the same side as the silver one, so didnt have a replacement to hand. However, the pads were almost at the end of life, and after retracting the piston, it has stopped sticking. It will get me through for a while, but like the OP will need to obtain so decent replacements.

If the bigred kits are not so good, is there another kit supplier we might use instead?
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2018, 18:01   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
I had a sticking front on my silver cdt last year, and obtained a set of replacements from Mickyboy, and refurbished those with the big red kits. Cant say I had any problems.

Today however my wedgie blue car also developed a sticky front caliper. Unfortunately it was exactly the same side as the silver one, so didnt have a replacement to hand. However, the pads were almost at the end of life, and after retracting the piston, it has stopped sticking. It will get me through for a while, but like the OP will need to obtain so decent replacements.

If the bigred kits are not so good, is there another kit supplier we might use instead?
THIS is the company I used, and comparing them with the Bigg Red ones, they were night and day. Make sure you select the correct one, 190 calipers use a wider diameter piston. I have only got 2000 miles on these so have no long term experience, although the difference in how they felt compared to the Bigg Red ones gives me enough confidence in them (as well as their disclaimers and information on the different sizes mentioned between the 190 and non 190 calipers)

Brakes Int also supply new calipers too at quite reasonable prices (I wish I had checked this out before refurbing my used ones. It didnt work out much more expensive overall (after ordering the wrong refurb kits for the rear initially and then damaging one of the fronts ).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2019, 23:19   #10
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I'm not impressed one bit with the quality of the rubber seals in the big red kits, nor the pistons if I'm being totally honest.

I local member brought his car to me an despite the calipers being overhauled within the past 18 months, the dust seals had spilt and the calipers were partially seized.

The advantage of a caliper that has been completely stripped treated and zinc/nickel plated is you do not get rust expansion pushing the outer periphery of the dust seal inward, which causes the piston to stick.

I was taking an example with the eBay link, but I've bought rear calipers from the same supplier and fitted them to one of my own fleet without any problem.

Brian

I can Recommend these. Whilst upgrading the brake hoses and replacing the brake pipes on my wife’s saloon three years ago just after we got the car. I went to bleed the brakes and flush the system. I could not get the front bleed nipples out, the only answer was to replace the callipers. I got mine from this supplier, having changed every brake part on the car and being unable to move the front nipples, I ended up fitting a full set of callipers all round. Then just to finish the job replaced the ABS pump as well.
Having gone that far I just did the master cylinder and servo. It meant that her full braking system was new.
Haven’t had a single problem with the callipers since they went on the car lovely even brake wear. I will confess to have fitted brass bleed nipples with PTFE grease on the threads. All pipe ends are brass with PTFE grease on the threads during assembly the hoses were braided stainless and the pipes cunnifer. I managed to get all four callipers for about a tenner more than Rimmers wanted for one. The most expensive part was the ABS Pump.
I expect to have to flush the fluid every four years or so depending on how much water it absorbs.
Can’t fault these units almost as cheep as a full new set of seals and covers along with a re-Chromed piston.
Altogether great value
Alan
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote