Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st January 2019, 18:45   #1
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts
Default Abs Sensors

My son is having trouble tracing a faulty ABS Sensor for an MOT test, what should he look for.

Cheers.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2019, 18:54   #2
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post

My son is having trouble tracing a faulty ABS Sensor for an MOT test, what should he look for.

Cheers.

Rev
I was going to say a faulty ABS sensor Rev but I’ll refrain sorry mate couldn’t resist, the force was strong
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2019, 20:28   #3
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Firstly He'll need to connect a multimeter to test the voltage pulses from each sensor to find which one is the problem. FrenchMike's photo here show's how it should be connected. Jack the car up and spin the road wheel being tested slowly to see the meter react.

Determine which wheel gives faulty readings. He may have to resort to marking each wheel for every pulse to see which wheel is missing pulses. Hopefully though it will be obvious - I.e. one wheel not generating any pulses or very few.

Once the faulty wheel is found then it's down to whether it's the sensor or the reluctor. Not so easy to test for as removing the sensor very often is destructive anyway. The reluctors are built into the wheel bearings, so one method is to change the sensor and see if that fixes the issue, if not continue on and change the bearing.

P.S - Using T4 or Toaf could be much easier if you have access

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:07   #4
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post

Cheers.

Rev
If he has a car with cruise control, and both the cruise control and his speedo work, then the fronts must be ok. Its not too difficult then to check/replace the rears, using the methods described. The best advice i could give would be to buy only genuine oem sensors. You can get lucky with aftermarket ones, but i wasnt. Wasted a lot of time fiddling with one, eventually replaced again with oem and worked straight away.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:07   #5
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
If he has a car with cruise control, and both the cruise control and his speedo work, then the fronts must be ok. Its not too difficult then to check/replace the rears, using the methods described. The best advice i could give would be to buy only genuine oem sensors. You can get lucky with aftermarket ones, but i wasnt. Wasted a lot of time fiddling with one, eventually replaced again with oem and worked straight away.

Thanks David. A very good point that - the speedo works off the Driver side (RH) front wheel and I believe (strangely enough because one would just expect it to use the speedo reading) the cruise controls uses the passenger side (LH) front wheel.

I should also add that especially with the rear sensors that it's known for rust flakes from the brake backplate to get between the sensor and bearing face and cause issues - sometimes just cleaning things up gets it working again.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote