Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th November 2019, 03:49   #11
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

The MOT guy should really know about this issue, most of them seem to, and dont normally fail it. Lets face it, you felt safe enough to drive it there for the test so it cant be that bad can it.

You will need a proper bleed to be done. I have had this appear on both of my cars after various bits of work when air got in to the system.

One car I fixed by a pressure bleed doing it myself. That is using a sealey pressure bleeder attached to the reservoir.

The second car just could not be bled by me, although i tried maybe 10 times. Jules had to fix it for me. I had thought he would need to use his T4 to operate the special ABS bleed mode, but what he actually did to fix it was a reverse bleed, pumping fluid in from the caliper bleed nipple, and drawing it out from the reservoir.

Your garage may have attempted bleeding in the normal way and had no success so concluded a faulty master cylinder, but this method is easy and should be tried. You have not indicated there are any faults with your braking, so all 4 corners will need doing. Search for a post by Jules as somewhere he documented the procedure in full, i think the pedal must be partially pressed during the process.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2019, 08:35   #12
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

If you evacuate the servo, by repeat pressing of the brake pedal with the engine off, does it still creep to the floor when pressed ? If it stays hard and not creep, there's nothing wrong with the hydraulics.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2019, 15:44   #13
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

Did you solve the brake issue ?
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2019, 22:12   #14
Rickshaw
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer, 2 X75 Saloon , MGTF Sunstorm

Smile Where I'm at

Well , firstly , a great thanks to all who have contributed to this thread - as usual in this club , everyone’s there to help and it’s really appreciated .
Now for where I am :-
• Following early advice, I contacted Mickboy and ( huge thanks) he came up trumps with a fresh Brake Master Cylinder which is now fitted and car has passed MOT !!
• Personally I have learnt a lot from the comments and am certainly more aware of other causes of ‘drooping brake pedal ‘ than just Master cylinder. To be honest , I still have something at back of my mind saying ‘Air in the system ‘ ??? - I’ll watch that one in future!

On a general point I could not find a solid ‘how to’ for removing the Brake Master Cylinder ( found one but it only explained what to do once you had got to it !) . Anyway , I decided to go through the motions which involved removal of Wipers , Scuttle , Wipers Drive mechanism and bracket next to Master Cylinder that partly held this mechanism too . Open bleed nipples with 11 mm spanner . Use 13mm spanner to unbolt Master from Servo.
This might be of interest to others in the future ?
All the best and thanks to all.
Rickshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2019, 17:47   #15
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Glad to hear it’s passed it’s MOT with the master cylinder I sent, from what you wrote I’d say you have done a good job mate well done 👍
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote