Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st August 2018, 11:33   #1
billatllandudno
Regular poster

rover 75 cdti contemporary se tourer

Default Brake Line Renewal

I need to change the nearside brake line from font to rear on my diesel tourer which goes over the fuel tank, can this be done with the fuel tank in situ ? only I've always had a full tank since owning the car and never let it go below 3/4 it's a lot of fuel to drain off and any help would be really greatfully appreciated. Bill
billatllandudno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2018, 12:57   #2
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by billatllandudno View Post
I need to change the nearside brake line from font to rear on my diesel tourer which goes over the fuel tank, can this be done with the fuel tank in situ ? only I've always had a full tank since owning the car and never let it go below 3/4 it's a lot of fuel to drain off and any help would be really greatfully appreciated. Bill
I replaced mine maybe 8 or 9 years ago now by running the new line around the side of the tank, just need to make the line longer than the original, and also route it above the heat shield to keep it away from the exhaust. No problems with that method. Passed a lot of mot’s with it since then so keeps the inspector happy as well.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2018, 13:18   #3
Best_of_British
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer & Arden Green Project

I dropped the tank onto exhaust and took rear seat squab up. Using the two inspection hatches and the extra room from dropping the tank a little it is easy to run the pipes in original clips, much neater job. I did this with copper which most do not recommend but it is more forgiving and was easy to do.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk
Best_of_British is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2018, 15:20   #4
billatllandudno
Regular poster

Never gave it a thought about running it at the side of the tank would I need to fit more fixing clips or could I get away with it.
Old 1st August 2018, 19:13   #5
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Do both front to rear pipes while you're there.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2018, 21:01   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Do both pipes, and why on earth do you constantly run with so much fuel

Do not run it around the side of the tank, it's a bodge which can be avoided completely, the tank does not need to be completely removed, it can be lowered and rested on the exhaust to enable the pipework to be routed in the correct way.

I kept an original pipe which I removed without damage to uses as a pattern and make the new pipe up using kunifer off the car, then the job looks OEM and above all is completely safe

To demonstrate how much of a stickler I am for brake lines, take a look at the ones I made for my Freelander

You will need to do this job once only in the lifetime of your car, so you may as well do it right

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2018, 18:06   #7
billatllandudno
Regular poster

That looks very neat and tidy Brian I think I will go down that route and lower the fuel tank ,I had it up on the ramps today while replacing wrongly sent springs on the rear and looked at the access so should get round to doing this asap, as for the fuel always being a full tank I used to work for a forestry company and every night we used to fill up all the vehicles and saws, strimmers, etc ready for the next day so we always set off fully fuelled just a habit that's all.Bill