Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th September 2018, 19:03   #1
vilas66
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, CDTi Tourer, Saloon

Default Track rod end Nut lock won't move

Hello gents.
I have a track rod end Nut lock that is solid seized on the steering rack bolt hence I'm unable to do a wheel alignment. I don't want to mess any more the steering rack bolt that couples the track rod end.
My intention is to split the nut and install a new one which requires the track rod end to be removed. Any suggestion on how to remove the rack rod end ? Shall I need a separator and, may be a new track rod end?
Thank You C.Gigante
Old 30th September 2018, 19:40   #2
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Heat, get your self a gas torch powered heat source and get it very hot. While hot grip the shaft with some mole grips and I am sure it will move. If it doesn't move cool the shaft down with some penetrating oil.

If the track rod end is also seized you can use the same method.

Worse case an angle grinder with a thin blade and split them.

Once they are moving get some copper grease on the threads so you don't need to do this again next time.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2018, 15:49   #3
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilas66 View Post
Hello gents.
I have a track rod end Nut lock that is solid seized on the steering rack bolt hence I'm unable to do a wheel alignment. I don't want to mess any more the steering rack bolt that couples the track rod end.
My intention is to split the nut and install a new one which requires the track rod end to be removed. Any suggestion on how to remove the rack rod end ? Shall I need a separator and, may be a new track rod end?
Thank You C.Gigante
Use a nut splitter on the nut if heat wont shift it. The track rod itself will not be too hard to undo once the nut has gone.

You need a good heat torch to get the nut hot enough to move it otherwise, and it really needs to be glowing red hot before it will move.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2018, 16:03   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Two lump hammers on opposing flats of the check nut given a couple of good clouts, then a 22mm open end spanner on the check nut, and a 19mm on the flats of the track rod end, then squeeze the two spanners together

Iv'e never needed to use heat on these, and never had any issues......ever, including doing one on the hard shoulder of a motorway for a stranded owner

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2018, 18:59   #5
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Two lump hammers on opposing flats of the check nut given a couple of good clouts, then a 22mm open end spanner on the check nut, and a 19mm on the flats of the track rod end, then squeeze the two spanners together

Iv'e never needed to use heat on these, and never had any issues......ever, including doing one on the hard shoulder of a motorway for a stranded owner

Brian
Way to go.......

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2018, 19:02   #6
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

Brian
Agreed. Spot on for me also for over 45 years of track rod end work on cars and trucks!
Old 1st October 2018, 19:16   #7
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Or if it is really really stuck, remove the inner from the steering rack then attack it on the bench!