Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th January 2019, 12:07   #1
madmatt
Regular poster

Connoisseur SE CDT Saloon

Default Fbh help

Does anyone know if it's possible for water to find it's way into the combustion chamber of the fuel burning heater I use mine on pretty much a daily basiswithout any issues of smoke whatsoever.
The car sat over the weekend as I was drinking came to use the car today to go to work few minutes into the journey when I stopped at a junction I saw a cloud of white smoke carried on for about another 5 minutes noticing every time I stop there was smoke so pulled into a lay-by pop the bonnet and can see loads of white smoke coming out the exhaust of the fuel burning heater and a small amount of water so I gave one of the water hoses a squeeze and then she's got worse and even came out of the air filter for the fuel burning heater has anyone ever heard of this happening before? I had to pull the fuse to stop the fuel burning heater in the end many thanks Matt
madmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 15:23   #2
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatt View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible for water to find it's way into the combustion chamber of the fuel burning heater I use mine on pretty much a daily basiswithout any issues of smoke whatsoever.
The car sat over the weekend as I was drinking came to use the car today to go to work few minutes into the journey when I stopped at a junction I saw a cloud of white smoke carried on for about another 5 minutes noticing every time I stop there was smoke so pulled into a lay-by pop the bonnet and can see loads of white smoke coming out the exhaust of the fuel burning heater and a small amount of water so I gave one of the water hoses a squeeze and then she's got worse and even came out of the air filter for the fuel burning heater has anyone ever heard of this happening before? I had to pull the fuse to stop the fuel burning heater in the end many thanks Matt
Is your water level going down?
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 16:56   #3
Eddy600
Loves to post

Rover, MG

Clouds of white smoke would suggest unburnt diesel, a service and a decoke of the unit usually solves the problem.
Eddy600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 17:32   #4
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I don’t know what has happened, but drop a line to Stocktake who is a bit of an expert on the fbh.
Old 14th January 2019, 17:41   #5
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
I don’t know what has happened, but drop a line to Stocktake who is a bit of an expert on the fbh.
Think you mean Develish or Trebor who have stripped down several !, stocktake is Mr VIS motor
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 18:05   #6
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Think you mean Develish or Trebor who have stripped down several !, stocktake is Mr VIS motor
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 18:26   #7
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Wise idea unplugging the FBH. The smoke is due to smoldering diesel caused by carbon in the combustion chamber. Or restricted aspiration, caused by the air intake silencer, or the combustion air fan. Excess diesel can drip from the exhaust, which has been known to cause explosive combustion if ignited (a car backfiring). It needs decarbonising, the air intake silencer looking at, and the air fan speed measuring.

The only route water can escape is from the 4 water hose clamps on the FBH, if you had even a slight water leak, you would only see steam rising from the sides of the FBH if any dripped onto the exhaust, which is the route water would take

There is no way coolant is entering the combustion chamber.

You can DIY - all you will need is a combustion chamber gasket, unless your burner chamber stainless and ceramic discs are shot, then the burner cap will need re manufacturing.

Or send me a PM, I can also mig weld in new burner discs if needed.

Last edited by Devilish; 14th January 2019 at 18:28..
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 19:07   #8
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

hi cani ask if any damage can be caused to the engine through the fbh not working below 5 c rgds mark
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 19:23   #9
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

None whatsoever Mark. If the FBH is initiating start up then shutting down after a few minutes due to a fault, then just remove the fuse if you want, no point in it keep initiating start up for nothing.
Old 15th January 2019, 13:58   #10
madmatt
Regular poster

Connoisseur SE CDT Saloon

Thanks managed to have another look at it today before work definitely unburnt diesel coming out exhaust also I had to top the header tank up as it was a bit low
I have also ordered the service kit should get it by Wednesday

Last edited by madmatt; 15th January 2019 at 16:55..
madmatt is offline   Reply With Quote