Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th January 2021, 20:53   #51
bsafly
Just going about!

Rover 75 CDTi Connie SE Tourer starlight silver and serpents. MG ZT-T 190+ in Raven Black.

If it is of any help, my diesel tourer has done just over 170,000 and I have had no issues with the fuel gauge readings at all (have had to renew a dead in tank pump though)
Been watching this post with interest - in depth and informative.
Thank you, Paul.
bsafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 10:56   #52
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Still having problems with this, admittedly not as bad as previously, but on Friday the gauge started going up & down all on it's own again whilst stationary in a flat car park....

I know it's a long shot, but I've just emailed VDO to see whether they have any old stock of circuit boards and sliders, or whether they could do a small production run ?

Let's all keep our fingers crossed
Old 16th February 2021, 12:49   #53
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
Still having problems with this, admittedly not as bad as previously, but on Friday the gauge started going up & down all on it's own again whilst stationary in a flat car park....
Hello Paul, yes this is the singular baffling aspect of the problem. I suspect the location of worn area is the same in all cases and not anything subjective to the owner. I reckon it's a statistical effect showing the 'average' tank contents over a car's life. The shape of the tank means that the fuel level and the volume are not in a linear relationship, so there's never much wear on the upper half.

I wonder if the contact brush tension could be raised a little? Perhaps the wandering gauge is due to the highly damped display being driven by a 'hit and miss' effect between the brushes and the rheostat? As the rheostat wears, it also thins, thereby reducing the contact pressure.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 16th February 2021 at 12:59..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2022, 16:47   #54
Costa Fortuna
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Thread Revival Time - massive thanks to Sonic ZS for his considerable efforts in trying to get to the bottom of this annoying trait on our cars - and also to posting it on here in a clear (and illustrated) easy to understand fashion.

I've started to get problems with my 1.8t - it seems to have a mind of its own - completely independent of actual fuel on board.
Costa Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2022, 06:50   #55
wizzo337
Loves to post

mg zt

Default Fuel electrics

I had a similar issue. I would fill up at the petrol station prior to a long trip, set off, within fifty or so miles the gauge had dropped to a quarter. If I turned the car off and hit the back seat on the rh side of the car and restarted the engine, all would be well again.
I decided to take a chance and remove the rear seat to get access to the supply plug for the fuel tank, it's under a cover below the seat, unplugged it gave it a clean and a spray with wd40, not had a problem since, and that was about a year ago.
wizzo337 is offline   Reply With Quote