Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd March 2021, 13:12   #11
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
It could be related to engine performance as the gearbox adapts to various driving styles and engine loads (are your VIS motors working properly?). It may even need a reset of the autobox electronics. If you disconnect the battery lead for a short while it will reset your electronics (don't forget though that you will lose all your radio settings, so will need the code).
So, I still haven't got to the bottom of my car's slightly annoying autobox behaviour. Just to recap, it doesn't like changing up beyond 3rd when 'climbing' very slight inclines. I have to get the speed up beyond 30MPH first. No problems on the level and the changeup is also perfectly smooth. Doesn't the Jatco have an incline sensor that may be at fault and if so, does anyone knows where I might find it? Alternatively, could an incorrect fluid level cause this behaviour? It's more annoying than anything else and for all I know, it may be operating within spec; but it seems way too sensitive to incline angle. Both VIS motors are working as they should and there's no brake binding.
minty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2021, 15:30   #12
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Ease off the gas slightly to "trick" it into the higher gear and see if it stays in that gear (unless you boot it of course).
Old 22nd March 2021, 18:44   #13
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by minty2 View Post
So, I still haven't got to the bottom of my car's slightly annoying autobox behaviour. Just to recap, it doesn't like changing up beyond 3rd when 'climbing' very slight inclines. I have to get the speed up beyond 30MPH first. No problems on the level and the changeup is also perfectly smooth. Doesn't the Jatco have an incline sensor that may be at fault and if so, does anyone knows where I might find it? Alternatively, could an incorrect fluid level cause this behaviour? It's more annoying than anything else and for all I know, it may be operating within spec; but it seems way too sensitive to incline angle. Both VIS motors are working as they should and there's no brake binding.
When my box behaves it does tend to hang in 3rd gear a little, as you say 30/35 seems to be the magic number, this is a lot worse when cold

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2021, 20:50   #14
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I know mine, the kv6 auto, when I leave the allotment, which is on a quite steep hill, will not get out of third until I reach around 2,500 revs and have taken it as normal because the engine, and therefore the oil in the auto box is also cold. I can trick it when it is warm to change up early by just lifting off the throttle slightly, also normal.if you are saying that it will not change up even when it is warmed up, then there is a problem. Everyone drives differently, so it may be that you have a heavy right foot? This will inhibit the box changing up.
Old 22nd March 2021, 21:36   #15
gozo ken
Avid contributor

R75 SALOON

Also try selecting snow mode.
gozo ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2021, 21:33   #16
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
I know mine, the kv6 auto, when I leave the allotment, which is on a quite steep hill, will not get out of third until I reach around 2,500 revs and have taken it as normal because the engine, and therefore the oil in the auto box is also cold. I can trick it when it is warm to change up early by just lifting off the throttle slightly, also normal.if you are saying that it will not change up even when it is warmed up, then there is a problem. Everyone drives differently, so it may be that you have a heavy right foot? This will inhibit the box changing up.
I’m a very docile driver! My fully warmed up box only changes up on a shallow incline above 2500 when I’m getting past 30 and easing my foot off isn’t successful at fooling it either. It also changes down a little too eagerly on inclines when I’m braking. I expect this kind of behaviour on steeper gradients.
Old 24th March 2021, 21:36   #17
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
When my box behaves it does tend to hang in 3rd gear a little, as you say 30/35 seems to be the magic number, this is a lot worse when cold
Probably. It’s just that it’s something I’ve been noticing fairly recently.