Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th March 2009, 12:36   #1
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Default Banks - Charges & Interest Rates.

I'm with Lloyds, which was Lloyds TSB, which became Lloyds TSB HBOS and is now Lloyds TSB HBOS HMG & Taxpayer.....

Anyway. Lloyds TSB.

Why are banks charging such high rates for their bank loans? I'm not looking for a loan, but just had a leaflet from them, offering loans at 9.9% APR. With the BoE setting the base rate at 0.5%, how can banks be charging so much for a loan? The last loan I had finished about 3 years ago, and that was 4.9% APR. How can they justify charging so much - I thought 'they' wanted to encourage people to borrow.

Also, and this made me laugh & angry. For the first time in a decade, I went into my credit zone on my current account, by about £8 for 3 days. I've had a letter advising me that I've been charged interest. A whopping 25p. The postage cost 34p, so the bank have lost 14p. Was it really worth them writing to tell me??! It's cost them money in the end!
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 12:49   #2
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post
For the first time in a decade, I went into my credit zone on my current account, by about £8 for 3 days. I've had a letter advising me that I've been charged interest. A whopping 25p. The postage cost 34p, so the bank have lost 14p. Was it really worth them writing to tell me??! It's cost them money in the end!
THEM???? Me you mean!!!!!!!

can't you be more careful with your money?
Old 9th March 2009, 13:00   #3
efreeti
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDT 130+ (04) & 75 Tourer CDT Auto (52) & a 1998 MGF (with HGF!)

HSBC have just taken £25 off me for going £18.38 overdrawn for the first time in the 6 years I have banked with them. My wage payment went in 12 hours late and crossed with an unexpected direct debit (ebay fees as it happens).

I am off to find some Basildon Bond, I feel a letter coming on!

Replace in tank fuel pump with Peugeot alternative
Dismantle and re-fit interior and seats
Retrofit electric memory seats without the loom
All followed at your own risk!

Available to borrow: I have a home made (tried and tested) Cam Locking tool for M47 should anyone need it.
efreeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 14:21   #4
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by efreeti View Post
HSBC have just taken £25 off me for going £18.38 overdrawn for the first time in the 6 years I have banked with them. My wage payment went in 12 hours late and crossed with an unexpected direct debit (ebay fees as it happens).

I am off to find some Basildon Bond, I feel a letter coming on!
Phone them, they'll refund it as a 'goodwill gesture'.

Reason the interest rate is so high for loans is cos they're terrified to give any loans, so the few who are acepted pay the price. Literally.
Old 9th March 2009, 23:37   #5
W953 BJX
Loves to post

1953 and 1955 series 1 landrovers, two series 3 landrovers, range rover, rover 75 saloon

I went £4 odd overdrawn when I paid for the carpark while I was in hospital, didnt realise... Got the letter 4 days later telling me I'd gone overdrawn and was being charged per day, rang up straight away and whilst I understand it is easily resolved by "simply walking into any branch and depositing the outstanding amount" I was unable to stand up by myself forget about walking! So I begged and she said she'd hold any charges until the following week when I could arrange for a lift into the bank... Next week came, hobbled in, paid them the £4 and they said "don't know why she said that she'd hold the charges, she can't do that, did you record the conversation?" so that I could prove it! I was cross! Basically they agreed that she'd said that over the phone just to shut me up and make me go away, I was cross about that, I got £134 in charges for being overdrawn for 6 days
W953 BJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 23:48   #6
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W953 BJX View Post
I went £4 odd overdrawn when I paid for the carpark while I was in hospital, didnt realise... Got the letter 4 days later telling me I'd gone overdrawn and was being charged per day, rang up straight away and whilst I understand it is easily resolved by "simply walking into any branch and depositing the outstanding amount" I was unable to stand up by myself forget about walking! So I begged and she said she'd hold any charges until the following week when I could arrange for a lift into the bank... Next week came, hobbled in, paid them the £4 and they said "don't know why she said that she'd hold the charges, she can't do that, did you record the conversation?" so that I could prove it! I was cross! Basically they agreed that she'd said that over the phone just to shut me up and make me go away, I was cross about that, I got £134 in charges for being overdrawn for 6 days
That's disgusting!!!! I'd argue the case and get your money back! Is there an Ombudsman for Banks? With a Labour Government ... there must be... Jobs for the boys, and all that!!

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 01:18   #7
W953 BJX
Loves to post

1953 and 1955 series 1 landrovers, two series 3 landrovers, range rover, rover 75 saloon

I dislike banks! I work in cash as much as I can now, especially after that fiasco
W953 BJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 19:41   #8
Departed
Retired

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
That's disgusting!!!! I'd argue the case and get your money back! Is there an Ombudsman for Banks? With a Labour Government ... there must be... Jobs for the boys, and all that!!
Yes but the banks pay for them. In the early days they were pretty good, but these days they are clearly on the side of the banks.

Last dealings I had with them they were too busy to deal with my complaint for 6 months, and when they finally did and agreed that the bank was at fault and in the wrong, said that I should expect to have to spend time and effort for no recompense in writing and phoning the bank, for them to ignore me.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 20:34   #9
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
There is the ongoing bank charges case working its way though the courts at the moment. Should be resolved by.................................Enter best guess here

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 09:41   #10
efreeti
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDT 130+ (04) & 75 Tourer CDT Auto (52) & a 1998 MGF (with HGF!)

£134 for £4 overdrawn sounds illegal rather than disgusting. You should only get a one off charge of max £30 and then interest on that £4 which would only be pennies.

Unless it was some very high interest account with a special arrangement for keeping the account in credit I cannot see how they could possibly get away with that sort of thing?

Replace in tank fuel pump with Peugeot alternative
Dismantle and re-fit interior and seats
Retrofit electric memory seats without the loom
All followed at your own risk!

Available to borrow: I have a home made (tried and tested) Cam Locking tool for M47 should anyone need it.
efreeti is offline   Reply With Quote