Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th June 2011, 19:07   #1
raymond moore
Regular poster

ROVER75 tourer

Default suspension.

rover 75 facelift 2005 . can anyone help. the off side suspension, front lower arm has some wear in it.do i have to change the complete unit or can the ball joint only be replaced.
raymond moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 19:13   #2
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Have moved from technology forum to technical help forum
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 21:02   #3
swinnie
Avid contributor

Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTD Veloce

I believe you have to change wishbone, I did on my mk1. Not seen a balljoint available seprately. I brought this item http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT the seller also sell just one side. if you need them quickly you can phone the seller and they will do express delivery for around £8. The garage that fitted them said they are good quality. A lot cheaper than any where localy. Derek

Last edited by swinnie; 4th June 2011 at 21:04..
swinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 05:33   #4
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinnie View Post
I believe you have to change wishbone, I did on my mk1. Not seen a balljoint available seprately. I brought this item http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT the seller also sell just one side. if you need them quickly you can phone the seller and they will do express delivery for around £8. The garage that fitted them said they are good quality. A lot cheaper than any where localy. Derek

Thats a good price. I paid £70 just for one side locally about 5 years ago. Thinking about it now, that means 2 things,
1. Local motor factor parts lasted as long as the original
2. There is no need to change both sides at the same time. My drivers side one is still going strong after 11 years, passenger side failed at 5 years.

It was a difficult job though. The hardest part was getting the ball joint separated. I spent hours hammering on it and prepared to give up, then my father rotated the steering wheel from left to right a few times and it just dropped out on its own.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 15:15   #5
swinnie
Avid contributor

Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTD Veloce

I spent around 6 hours trying to get the inner balljoint to split in the end had to grind the hammered end to get nut back on and let garage do it. They said the secret is to get car high up as possible and use large fork type splitter ment for commercal vehicles. My outer baljoints had gone largely due to someone fitting wrong bolts which were too thin and fully threaded. Derek
swinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 16:52   #6
raymond moore
Regular poster

ROVER75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinnie View Post
thanks for all your help and information, much appreciated
raymond moore is offline   Reply With Quote