Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th October 2015, 22:27   #1
Chris-CDTI
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Default Few questions

Hi Just brought me a 03 zt-t ctdi on a whim as my old car was rapidly dieing. I have a few questions I've had a search on the forums but cant find the answer for the problem or need a little more info

1)Key starts and runs the car but the remote wont open the doors is this just a T4 session the garage says (and it looks) like its a new unit but it does not work (I will check the battery when I pick the car up)

2)left wing mirror seems a little temperamental to move left and right is ok up and down it seems not to move

3)The gear stick does not seem to feel positive when going into 1,2,3 she does not jump out of gear. I had the same issue on a ford and it was a spring on the gear stick has snapped Is there any fault like this on the zt?

4) Other than the plenum's what other jobs should a new owner do in the first week of owning it? Egr by pass? ron box?

Thanks

Chris

Sorry if I have asked questions that are answered I have searched but failed to find the answer
Chris-CDTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 22:38   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-CDTI View Post
Hi Just brought me a 03 zt-t ctdi on a whim as my old car was rapidly dieing. I have a few questions I've had a search on the forums but cant find the answer for the problem or need a little more info

1)Key starts and runs the car but the remote wont open the doors is this just a T4 session the garage says (and it looks) like its a new unit but it does not work (I will check the battery when I pick the car up)

2)left wing mirror seems a little temperamental to move left and right is ok up and down it seems not to move

3)The gear stick does not seem to feel positive when going into 1,2,3 she does not jump out of gear. I had the same issue on a ford and it was a spring on the gear stick has snapped Is there any fault like this on the zt?

4) Other than the plenum's what other jobs should a new owner do in the first week of owning it? Egr by pass? ron box?

Thanks

Chris

Sorry if I have asked questions that are answered I have searched but failed to find the answer
Hi Chris, if your remote is not working, I would suggest a trip to see Phil T4 in Olney may be a good start.

Apart from sorting out your key, he will be able to healthcheck your car properly, give you any advise you need in regards to the things that can and do go wrong from time to time.

However best of all, he will be able to wave his magic wand over your ECM, making thoughts of common rail tuning boxes vanish, and your trip home will be considerably more pleasant than the trip there

Oh and welcome along, any questions don't be afraid to ask... we don't bite

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 11:41   #3
drew49

Rover 75 tourer

Hi Chris, you've definitely come to the right place for advice. I bought a 2002 Tourer on ebay in january with loads of issues (I should have walked away) but consulting the how to threads listed in Marks forum read (see quick links up there ^) has enabled me to sort most of them out. I had problems with both mirrors but following the instructions in this how to thread has got them working perfectly;

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ead.php?t=4821

Andrew
drew49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 11:59   #4
Chris-CDTI
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Thanks for the replys, I will be in contact with Phil T4 sometime soon as I want to add a couple of toys to the car that will need T4, so might as well same some money and get them all sorted at the same time!

I've been thinking have a done the right thing buying this car as the ZT-T's seem quite rare around Oxfordshire on the budget I have. But I like messing with cars so I feel its a project and its easier to get my SO to let me buy things if its "broken"

Good thing is it comes with a 3 month drive chain warranty from warranty wise and its has all the clutch replaced So i think most of the work I can diy

thanks

chris
Old 6th October 2015, 18:33   #5
Chris-CDTI
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew49 View Post
Hi Chris, you've definitely come to the right place for advice. I bought a 2002 Tourer on ebay in january with loads of issues (I should have walked away) but consulting the how to threads listed in Marks forum read (see quick links up there ^) has enabled me to sort most of them out. I had problems with both mirrors but following the instructions in this how to thread has got them working perfectly;

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ead.php?t=4821

Andrew
Cleaned as per guide and still no joy, interestingly I have noticed the front electric window switches operate opposite as they should do (ie right switch is passengers and left drivers)
I've also noticed someone has been in the door card, I think I will start my hunt there tomorrow.
Old 6th October 2015, 22:08   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-CDTI View Post
Cleaned as per guide and still no joy, interestingly I have noticed the front electric window switches operate opposite as they should do (ie right switch is passengers and left drivers)
I've also noticed someone has been in the door card, I think I will start my hunt there tomorrow.
In that case, it is a definite T4 session required Chris.

The BCU data is corrupt, and requires reconfiguring using T4, nothing else will resurrect your central locking.

I'm willing to bet the car has had a new battery recently

Brian
Old 6th October 2015, 22:56   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

In fact, have a look HERE

Brian
Old 7th October 2015, 06:27   #8
Chris-CDTI
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
In that case, it is a definite T4 session required Chris.

The BCU data is corrupt, and requires reconfiguring using T4, nothing else will resurrect your central locking.

I'm willing to bet the car has had a new battery recently

Brian
Ahh your a star, I did think how can you get that mixed up!! That sounds right as the car has only done 15miles since June so being sat up would flattened the battery.

Just pinged of a e-mail to T4 phil as I cant see the point of chasing other electrical problems if the brains of the car is wrong! Of course might get a sneaky remap and see if I can kill the flywheel before the warranty runs out!

Thanks

Chris