Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th June 2013, 18:03   #1
Dvorak
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon CDT Copperleaf Red

Default Installing Double DIN - Stuck

Hi everyone,

I've just driven my 75 for the first time, and it's brilliant. I have been trying to fit the double DIN stereo that I've bought, but have been completely defeated.

The first problem is that one of the thread tabs into which the new fascia plate and original radio should screw has been broken off. Quite annoyed about this, as someone has clearly bodged a radio installation in the past.

I have the right loom connections and the radio works fine, but I can't for the life of me work out how to mount the radio in the massive hole.

The fascia plate mounts over the front of the radio, so it can't be supported from there. The hole is too deep for the hex bolt to touch the back and support it. There is nowhere to mount the cage that I can see inside.

There is a bracket which was supporting the old radio at the back, which I have removed and even moved to a thread about an inch further down, but I can't for the life of me think of how it's supposed to fit.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dvorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 18:49   #2
handyjackdaniels
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 v6 in firefrost red

Theres a thread started by a pappyenza, that seemed to solve this problem, have a look at his thread, see if it helps.
Steve.
handyjackdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 19:07   #3
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

I had this too, the only thing I did was glue (araldite) the cage to the facia.

you cant see it from the front and it holds the unit real still when fitted.

As for the broken off mounting......cant help you there !!! sorry.
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 19:47   #4
streetka55
Regular poster

ZT 190

I had a similar problem.A big hole to fill. So to get around it, I used copious amounts of gaffa tape. I fitted the double din adaptor and taped it securely. Then fitted the cage in a normal way along with the double din unit.

The facia or adaptor plate will stay securely in place. If you want me to send you some photo's of exactly what I mean, and how........let me know.
streetka55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 21:29   #5
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

gaffa tape.............errr ok.
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 21:45   #6
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

A few of these units need to have some support made for them such as below:

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)

Last edited by trebor; 15th June 2013 at 21:49..
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 10:02   #7
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

When I fitted my DD from Radioguy it was also protruding at the left side and wouldn't go all the way back. In the end I took a hacksaw to the trim that the support bracket bolts to.
When I had cut it away at the lower corners there was an earthing bolt, this was angled up so I loosened the bolt and turned the earth round out of harms way.

This allowed the unit to go back but still not enough, I realised the black plastic fascia of the unit was wider on the side than the gap in the cars foam/leather fascia. There was a small lug in the lower left corner which I cut away and hey presto!
All the way in, and it sits snugly on the fascia trim.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 21:33   #8
Dvorak
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon CDT Copperleaf Red

Thank you for your advice everyone! What I ended up doing in the end was to use Meccano to make a stand to push the radio out to the right depth. I used angled adaptors on the end in a kind of \____ shape with extra supports, and used two existing screws at the back of the hole to hold them in (I think they are holding in part of the dash). I then drilled holes in the top and bottom of the fascia that I bought and used screws in there to firmly hold the radio in place within the frame. It's not perfect, as I couldn't fit that piece of trim which goes under the hood back in, and I had to take a hacksaw to one of the redundant bits of plastic on the hood itself.

All in all though, I'm happy.

Thanks again!
Dvorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 19:49   #9
forestmyths
Regular poster

Rover 75 Classic SE

Default Fashioned brackets to hold radio in

The clips that hold my radio in broke off along with the foamy plastic material that makes up the center console. I fashioned two brackets that clip to a lip under the dash. I connected the brackets to my double din, fitted the head unit, pushed on the brackets to make sure they were up, tightened them down and voila! My double din was a secure as can be. I spent a lot of time coming up with this fix. It's not hard to make the brackets--you just have to shape them correctly so they grab the back of the dash and hold the unit. I probably spent about 8 hours trying to come up with a solution. If I had to do it again I could create the brackets in probably 20 minutes with just a little banging, grinding and drilling. If you have this problem, PM me and I'll see if I can help you out.
forestmyths is offline   Reply With Quote