Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th February 2018, 19:33   #171
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn12 View Post
What makes you think it's wrong considering you have used the tools?
Having next done the rear belts, noted that the mis-alignment of the chainwheel marks was different on one bank compared with the other so decided to recheck the front wheels. One tool would not quite engage. I'll turn the engine a few times, relock it and check. Would have got further today but realised too late I was using the automatic hole to try to lock a manual car. (rear chainwheel mis-alignment being the subject of earlier posts).

May have to reset one cam depending on what I find, but next time I do this job I'll not do the extra 90 degree turn on the camshaft bolts until I'm sure.

While on the subject of these bolts, is there a torque setting that can be used instead of the 90 degree turn? Their location means that for some this rotation has to be achieved in small steps rather than a single (recommended) movement.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 19:38   #172
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
While on the subject of these bolts, is there a torque setting that can be used instead of the 90 degree turn? Their location means that for some this rotation has to be achieved in small steps rather than a single (recommended) movement.
Not if you want the same clamping force accuracy. As long as you get the correct angle, can't see it making much difference, in this application, with doing it in more than one movement.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 16:28   #173
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Not if you want the same clamping force accuracy. As long as you get the correct angle, can't see it making much difference, in this application, with doing it in more than one movement.
Much to my annoyance I'm going to have to use a couple of bolts again. Noticed when replacing the rear cover that there was some thick oil deposited inside it which implies leaking rear camshaft seals, which I didn't have to hand. So a pair of rear camwheels will have to come off; this time I might remember to use the tapered pins when I refit them.
Old 22nd February 2018, 17:37   #174
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Shouldn't be a problem as you fitted them new in the first place, so you know no-one has been swinging on them and they haven't been tightened up like driveshaft nuts.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 18:24   #175
jn12
Gets stuck in

MG ZT SE 180 V6 Sports Auto

Quote:
Much to my annoyance I'm going to have to use a couple of bolts again. Noticed when replacing the rear cover that there was some thick oil deposited inside it which implies leaking rear camshaft seals, which I didn't have to hand. So a pair of rear camwheels will have to come off; this time I might remember to use the tapered pins when I refit them.
The rear pins help when sliding on so hopefully will not take you long. The seals are not much of a problem although the back bank exhaust cam seal has the least room to let you tap one in.
jn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2018, 18:58   #176
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn12 View Post
The rear pins help when sliding on so hopefully will not take you long. The seals are not much of a problem although the back bank exhaust cam seal has the least room to let you tap one in.
That's the one I have to change!

The official video on Youtube of belt changing on a KV6 has been recommended to me, thank you. Easy when it's not in the engine. There was also someone's 46 minute video which I obviously wasn't prepared to sit through, but I did see him turning the camshaft bolt while just holding the other end so can't recommend that!!

However no mention of correctly setting the tensioner. This info comes with tensioners supplied by Schaffler-Aftermarket, for which I believe Matt at DMGRS provided the link.
Old 24th February 2018, 06:09   #177
dai1983

75 Saloon

Quote:

However no mention of correctly setting the tensioner. This info comes with tensioners supplied by Schaffler-Aftermarket, for which I believe Matt at DMGRS provided the link.
Schaffer have a website called RepXpert.com. It’s more for garages but you can register an account anyway and there’s loads of figment guides for the products they sell including the KV6 timing belt!
dai1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2023, 08:51   #178
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Ahh.... 8 years, 20000km and the Waterpump is now leaking badly!!

Time to redo this operation , but I will replace the belts and water pump only. The rest is only mileage dependent items and do not have any due date..
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2023, 13:28   #179
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default KV6 water pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinet1 View Post
Ahh.... 8 years, 20000km and the Waterpump is now leaking badly!!
Hello Einar,

In post no. 24 you described removing the original factory-fitted water pump and I asked you in a later post if it was leaking coolant or if you had found play in the shaft. You replied that there was neither and that a replacement was nevertheless fitted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beinet1 View Post
Old and new waterpump:

Old one has a plastic impeller, and the new one a metal one. The casting on the OEM pump is a level smoother than the replacement and that one has been in there since the car was new. Its casting was marked with a production date from -99.
The seal surface on the block was cleaned with some grit 400 wet-n-dry paper and wiped dry before the new pump was fitted together with a new seal to the block. I added a drop of loctite 243 to its bolts before mounting and torqued them up to 10Nm as specified.
I know that many people routinely replace the water pump when renewing the cam belts and I understand the reasons behind this. However, your experience Einar and that of others suggests that this is not such a wise decision since you are now having to carry out the repair operation which you were hoping to avoid.

It's another example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

Simon
Old 1st July 2023, 22:13   #180
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

How many miles did you rack up einar on your waterpump since replacing it ? Quite a few i will bet. If it is then the chances are that the old one would have come out even earlier ...... I think the originals were good on average for around 60K ... but who knows ... how long that peice of string is.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote