Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th July 2015, 20:40   #1
Salad-Dodger
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 190

Default 190 Crankshaft question

Hi all. Does anyone know if it is possible to re-grind a 190 crankshaft?
I'm not sure of the material but if its the tough nitrided its probably not possible. Steve
Salad-Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 21:18   #2
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Yes, Petetourer had one done.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 12:18   #3
Salad-Dodger
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 190

Thanks for that Phil.
I've just changed my engine and on stripping it down The problem was a big end knock, but the pistons and liners are in very good condition. Seams a shame to throw it away just for that.
Steve
Old 21st July 2015, 12:34   #4
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

A big end knock need not be the crankshaft.
It could be the bearing shells.

If it is the crank, I will be surprised, but even that can be welded and brought back to standard.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 14:22   #5
Organiser
I really should get out more.......

ZT-T+180 Auto & ZT-T+1.8T in Trophy Blue, ZT-T CDTI+135 Auto in Ignition Blue, ZT-T+190 in Typhoon,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
Yes, Petetourer had one done.
Hi Steve,

I own this engine now, it's sitting in one of my lock ups. If I remember correctly it is not a ZT 190 KV6 but a ZS 180 KV6 engine. Pete removed it after finding he still had a tapping noise coming from the engine, but he was not sure of the problem. A little end was thought to be the cause but not confirmed.

I'm not sure if the KV6 cranks are Nitrided or not?

Regards,

Tom.
Old 21st July 2015, 19:16   #6
Salad-Dodger
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 190

Hiya Tom. This tapping thing is quite common these days on the V6 I think.
When I bought my car I bought it knowing that it had a tapping noise and I was convinced that it was down to poor servicing and that it was probably the hydro followers.
When I did the first oil change a lot of very black oil came out but although the level prior to removing the plug, was at the correct level, the amount that came out was a short measure.
I removed the sump to find the oil that was left there was practically "jelly".
All to late though, as the tapping noise was actually a big end bearing. It didn't make a sound on idle but when the revs got to about 1800 it sounded like a "clacking" noise. Must have been difficult for the pump to scavenge enough oil with all that soup in there.
The engine is generally in good condition apart from the crank so i thought I'd either re grind it or sort out another one.
I'll mic up the crank I have before I do anything else but there's quite a bit of movement on that bearing, so I may be looking for another crank.
Steve
Old 21st July 2015, 19:24   #7
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad-Dodger View Post
Hiya Tom. This tapping thing is quite common these days on the V6 I think.
When I bought my car I bought it knowing that it had a tapping noise and I was convinced that it was down to poor servicing and that it was probably the hydro followers.
When I did the first oil change a lot of very black oil came out but although the level prior to removing the plug, was at the correct level, the amount that came out was a short measure.
I removed the sump to find the oil that was left there was practically "jelly".
All to late though, as the tapping noise was actually a big end bearing. It didn't make a sound on idle but when the revs got to about 1800 it sounded like a "clacking" noise. Must have been difficult for the pump to scavenge enough oil with all that soup in there.
The engine is generally in good condition apart from the crank so i thought I'd either re grind it or sort out another one.
I'll mic up the crank I have before I do anything else but there's quite a bit of movement on that bearing, so I may be looking for another crank.
Steve
Not sure how you can blame the engine for not having it's oil changed/kept at the correct level??
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 20:19   #8
Salad-Dodger
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 190

Not sure what you are getting at there Mr doodles. Started a new paragraph as well.
If you have a V6 with a either a tapping or a clicking you will soon find a lot of others (as I have) who have the same problem.
I've no idea if you have ever done anything other than a service on your own vehicles but I can assure you that the V6 has many design problems that are very apparent on a strip-down. If you do some homework, you will find that on the later engines, the big end shells were beefed up to cope with the extra power of the 190.
Many of these engines have suffered at the hands of poor servicing, the same as all engines have in all makes of vehicles.
At no point in this thread have I blamed the basic design of the V6 for the problem I have had with this particular unit, though there are a few key things that could have been better, but that is not the subject of this thread.
Now, where were we? Steve
Old 21st July 2015, 21:19   #9
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Hmm, be nice to know what you think are its shortfalls salad dodger.
I'd also be interested to hear what arg did to beef up the big ends on the 190?
As for grinding the crank, please someone tell us first hand they've done it?
To my knowledge it's not impossible to regrind an offset bearing crank, but not many people can, or would want to take it on. And no, its pretty guaranteed not to be nitrided.
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 12:10   #10
Salad-Dodger
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
Hmm, be nice to know what you think are its shortfalls salad dodger.
I'd also be interested to hear what arg did to beef up the big ends on the 190?
As for grinding the crank, please someone tell us first hand they've done it?
To my knowledge it's not impossible to regrind an offset bearing crank, but not many people can, or would want to take it on. And no, its pretty guaranteed not to be nitrided.
Thanks for the positive info on the subject of my request for information about the KV6 crank.
I'm not getting into any arguments or contests about what you may know verses whatever I may know. Sooner stay on message re-190 crankshaft.
Steve