Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th April 2024, 09:26   #41
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Couldn’t have put it better myself. Just been reading that in that great automotive country, America, this new fangled ‘ auto drive’ while you read the paper, has been the cause of three deaths lately, all because the car drove into the back of the one in front. Good is it not this modern technology. Nob heads trying to invent everything that is useless. They will reinvent the wheel next. Numpties.

David,

Do you have numbers for deaths in the USA during the same period due to cars without the "autodrive" feature driving into the backs of others whilst under human driver control?

Only a comparison of the numbers would allow meaningful conclusions to be drawn.

I am not a proponent of self driving cars, but use of the "autodrive" feature as an adaptive cruise control would surely be of huge benefit to the safety of road users?
Old 24th April 2024, 11:04   #42
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
You couldn't be more right Dave. GW is being put out as a phenomenon that causes everything from spider's webs not being square to storms on Venus. Then, of course, the sensible habits of many lifetimes can be trashed in the name of the latest money earning scam that gets massive priority with new restrictions on lifestyles. Inevitably, costing more.

The truth is councillors, with few exceptions, are just not qualified to be overseeing huge sums of public money and are subject to various lobbying outfits with their own priorities. Many of them (councillors) have honourable intention but get stymied by the system.

Potholes? That's under highways infrastructure without a doubt. I can't see why there should not be a legal liability for all vehicular damage caused to vehicles being so affected. Funds to cover the liability could be diverted from the many 'woke' rubbish adventures that would no doubt receive public acclaim. Oh, and deserve another term in office next time. Pigs might fly.
you are totally right- i know someone here in Australia who works for a big oil, gas and mineral company. He is currently heading up that companies hydrogen project division.
I was talking to him re the large energy producers must be concerned with all this push for renewable energy. He stated, not at all, they see this whole renewable energy thing as a huge opportunity.
As he said- we make or have everything that is used in making renewable energy- copper, nickel, aluminium etc, its a whole new industrial revolution which
needs feeding !!!
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2024, 11:23   #43
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
He stated, not at all, they see this whole renewable energy thing as a huge opportunity.
As he said- we make or have everything that is used in making renewable energy- copper, nickel, aluminium etc, its a whole new industrial revolution which needs feeding !!!
Spot on!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2024, 20:19   #44
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
"they see this whole renewable energy thing as a huge opportunity.
As he said- we make or have everything that is used in making renewable energy- copper, nickel, aluminium etc, its a whole new industrial revolution which needs feeding !!!"
And none of it is environmentally friendly - even battery production is destroying our world. A massive global population reduction is the only real way global warming could be reduced and mother nature allowed to recover.

Interesting read on batteries from another site .......

https://go.skimresources.com/?id=106...lick%20%5B2%5D

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2024, 21:42   #45
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
David,

Do you have numbers for deaths in the USA during the same period due to cars without the "autodrive" feature driving into the backs of others whilst under human driver control?

Only a comparison of the numbers would allow meaningful conclusions to be drawn.

I am not a proponent of self driving cars, but use of the "autodrive" feature as an adaptive cruise control would surely be of huge benefit to the safety of road users?
Short reply. Not interested in ‘other’ deaths.I don’t know what you drive like, but after being on the road as a car/heavy vehicle driver for over 60 years, I know that you must keep your eyes on the road ahead........ and in your mirrors, and in my case while driving heavy goods vehicle, on the camera picture in the cab of the rear of my vehicle. How anyone can suggest that any autonomous vehicle being driven on the roads, can be safely navigated by a system that works on anything but ones own sight and brain power, I fail to understand.Its a bit like the fabled autonomous braking on some vehicles, tankers for instance. My son drives one of the latest tankers carrying petrol/diesel. Lovely and comfortable, except when the idiots shoot across in front of him at the last minute from the outside lane, to get to their exit point. This leaves his lorry because of the liquid in the tank, going along like a rocking horse. Modern technology they call it.
Old 25th April 2024, 22:03   #46
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Yep, driven a couple of those lowdown container tanks, loaded up with liquid sugar & without baffles so they kicked me in the back all the way up the M1 to DIRFT.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2024, 11:50   #47
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Lovely and comfortable, except when the idiots shoot across in front of him at the last minute from the outside lane, to get to their exit point. This leaves his lorry because of the liquid in the tank, going along like a rocking horse. Modern technology they call it.
Yep, seen the results when part of the 40 tonne of steel load going through the cab (non-gentle braking). Until each junction is provided with more cameras to catch the details of those loonies we will just have to "put up with it". How does one "zone out" after passing the last junction to the one you need to exit?

Answers to the head shrink mob!

Kev

Last edited by torque2me; 27th April 2024 at 11:51.. Reason: spelling
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2024, 11:02   #48
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Of course, none of the disinformation regarding EV's could possibly have been seeded by the giant oil companies and their subsidiaries. Never known for being crooks or underhand in anyway

Instead of propagating the myths why not talk to those that actually own an EV.
Most that I know are more than happy with their choice.

I'm pretty sure these same conversations took place when the infernal combustion engine came along and all the Horse and Cart industry were running scared
Old 1st May 2024, 11:16   #49
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
David,

Now now, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story !