Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th September 2022, 12:43   #21
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
More trouble at mill for Jaguar! Are we going to see the UK auto manufacturing fall even further behind because of chronic under investment in NEV (new energy vehicles supplies)

Jaguar are going full electric by 2025 but with no signs of early battery supplies on the horizon, They need to look further afield.

"The UK lacks the cell and pack factories automakers will need to support their transition away from the internal combustion engine. In what could be a fresh blow to British carmaking, the country’s top auto manufacturer, Jaguar Land Rover, is in talks with Northvolt and SVolt Energy Technology about supplying batteries for a range of EVs it may assemble in Slovakia, according to people familiar with the matter.
Unless battery investment picks up, carmakers may only accelerate their exodus from what was once the world’s second-biggest auto manufacturing base. The last few years, the UK fell outside the top 15." https://vnexplorer.net/uks-automotiv...-s1672035.html

Nothing new then, just as we would expect....
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2022, 10:43   #22
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

More trouble at mill as JLR CEO Thierry Bollore resigned yesterday
https://europe.autonews.com/move/jag...es-supply-woes

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2022, 13:09   #23
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Lies, more lies and even more lies from the "yes men" and bean counters have come home to roost. Glad to see that someone who's actually been with JLR for more than 5 minutes is taking the helm, at least for now. Never have believed in the "parachuting in" policy that seems to be much in favour.

Hope at all comes good as it would be a shame for JLR go the way of Rover.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 17th November 2022 at 13:12..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2022, 13:34   #24
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

The legacy automakers are facing a real tough time with this transition to electric cars, If they don't do something quick they're going to be overrun by the Chinese automakers.

They're trouncing the big European automakers in the biggest car market in the world, China.
The Chinese are preferring to buy domestic car brands that are much cheaper, of higher quality with much better software that is light years ahead of legacy auto How times have changed.
Mercedes have just had to knock $33000 off the price of their flagship EQS models to even compete, https://www.autonews.com/china/merce...3000-sales-lag
The VAG group are advertising for Chinese software designers en masse to get them out of trouble (especially the VW i.d. range) That's never happened before.

The joint ventures there with all the top western brands have paid off with all the major Chinese brands headhunting the top designers over the last 5-6 years.

BYD who make some excellent top quality models are going to swamp Europe with numerous models next year, They've just bought 5 car transporter ships with 4 more on order from South Korean shipyards.
All these cars come with 5star euro NCAP ratings too, I cant see how legacy auto are going to compete.

Old 17th November 2022, 14:21   #25
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

[QUOTE=Lancpudn;2952078].......
The Chinese are preferring to buy domestic car brands that are much cheaper, of higher quality with much better software that is light years ahead of legacy auto .......

The joint ventures there with all the top western brands have paid off with all the major Chinese brands headhunting the top designers over the last 5-6 years.

Really . Now there's a surprise . As mere pawns in the global view rather than high flying executives and bean counters only interested in minimising costs I'm sure none of us saw that coming .

After all, that sort of thing has never happened before, has it....

Come on now.....

"OH YES IT HAS"

The times they're a changing.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 17th November 2022 at 15:12..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2022, 14:56   #26
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

[QUOTE=AndyN01;2952082]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
The Chinese are preferring to buy domestic car brands that are much cheaper, of higher quality with much better software that is light years ahead of legacy auto .......

Really . Now there's a surprise . As mere pawns in the global view rather than high flying executives and bean counters only interested in minimising costs I'm sure none of us saw that coming .

After all, that sort of thing has never happened before, has it....

Come on now.....

"OH YES IT HAS"

The times they are a changing.

PS Is Merc going to be selling at a loss by knocking $33K off an EQS or was it just massively overpriced to start with?

A bit of both I should imagine it will put a dent in their profit margins, The EQS is an expensive car but not quite Bentley continental flying spur prices.

Jaguar were planning of being the EQS competition with new Jaguar BEV prices starting north of £110k

Old 17th November 2022, 15:13   #27
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Jaguar employ a lot of skilled British people in design and manufacturing. It shows in the elegance and quality of their cars.
A lot of Skilled British people Yes, Elegance and Quality? Doubtful.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2023, 15:24   #28
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

I see JLR are finally going to put the i-pace out of it's misery after years of low global sales & every one of them being recalled due to eleven battery pack fires which had the ill fated LG Chem battery packs fitted. A new next-generation EV, a four-door GT is due out next year with a starting price of £100k .

https://electrek.co/2023/08/17/jagua...t-ev-due-2024/

Old 19th August 2023, 12:53   #29
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Nothing new then, just as we would expect....
Don't forget Leyland, Foden, ERF, Bedford, Scammell and so forth. Oooh, and the LR Defender. Guess the Army will be buying Merc for the Defender replacement but it shouldn't damage the trade gap too much as the requirement will only be about 1/2 doz. for the twenty odd personnel.
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2023, 13:00   #30
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

[QUOTE=Lancpudn;2952087]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
A bit of both I should imagine it will put a dent in their profit margins, The EQS is an expensive car but not quite Bentley continental flying spur prices.

Jaguar were planning of being the EQS competition with new Jaguar BEV prices starting north of £110k
Now everyone should realise why price hiking and profiteering is rampant in this day and age. JLR has stated a low volume, high price strategy focus in the millionaire segment of markets. That policy has been tried to destruction in the UK. The opponent just does the same ala Lexus and many others.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote