Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th February 2021, 13:53   #51
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
Hi David,
Not sure the country of origin is correct. the ones we got I think were 100 ml and in a little yellow/ Orange tin and when you pushed the button down you pushed air into the can and it squirted out one dose. Old age is bad I was sure it was Caba but you are spot on the company is called Kaba. I will try to find my wee tin in the mess I call a garage. Took delivery of the last of the parts on Saturday for the restoration of the spice tourer, all I need is the weather and health to replace the full braking suspension and steering system plus a few other little bits like the inner wing liners and stuff, also a full set of door cards to get them back from the mixture fitted to all being sandstone cards.
I have ordered a can of this spray listed above as it seems a fantastic price I am sure we were paying twice that for half as much. Will post if its the stuff when it arrives and I find my wee can.
My "Caba" arrived today,and after use the amount of dirt and debris washed out of lock was amazing,key now works in and out but wheel does not lock but that's a fault in the barrel.
in the debris trail after using your suggested cleaner,I think are the remains of my problem!.By the way thanks for heads up.Have included a few pics to make certain we are on same page>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0738.jpg (114.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0739.jpg (111.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0740.jpg (125.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0741.jpg (127.8 KB, 35 views)
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Caskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2021, 15:14   #52
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
I'm getting nowhere with this.

What's the trick to getting the pesky barrel back into the pesky steering column?

1) Does this sprung-loaded arm have to be in the retracted (Arm in) position for the barrel to be inserted into the column?

2) Does this white plastic plunger have to be retracted into the barrel or not?

3) Does the transponder ring have to be in a set position relative to the steering column - e.g. does the plastic connector have to be between the metal lugs A and B?

Simon....In your 2nd photo of this thread is it the action of the key that is RETRACTING the white plunger?And can you then remove the key afterwards.
I ask because my plunger will not retract on its own which Is why my wheel lock will not operate?Thanks

HAVE PM YOU.
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.

Last edited by Caskin; 25th February 2021 at 17:00..
Old 18th March 2021, 18:43   #53
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Been having a similar issue with my ignition for a few weeks, struggling to insert the key and steering lock not engaging. Armed with cleaner, cloth and cotton buds, I sprayed prodded and poked, removing quite a bit of blackened cleaner, key was easier to insert but still no steering lock. Then whilst wiping a bit of cleaner from the black plastic outer ring I pressed the silver key slot and it moved back, clicked and hey presto the steering lock engaged, now each time I remove the key I have to push the key slot to engage the steering lock. before I go removing the barrel, has anyone any idea why it's doing this?
the key feels quite sloppy when inserted, so I suspect worn pins, but I don't think that explains part of the barrel attempting to escape. Any thoughts welcome. Thanks. Lee.
Old 19th March 2021, 15:08   #54
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee T View Post
Been having a similar issue with my ignition for a few weeks, struggling to insert the key and steering lock not engaging. Armed with cleaner, cloth and cotton buds, I sprayed prodded and poked, removing quite a bit of blackened cleaner, key was easier to insert but still no steering lock. Then whilst wiping a bit of cleaner from the black plastic outer ring I pressed the silver key slot and it moved back, clicked and hey presto the steering lock engaged, now each time I remove the key I have to push the key slot to engage the steering lock. before I go removing the barrel, has anyone any idea why it's doing this?
the key feels quite sloppy when inserted, so I suspect worn pins, but I don't think that explains part of the barrel attempting to escape. Any thoughts welcome. Thanks. Lee.

Hi I've no idea if this will help.,but I started this thread after experiencing the same problem. My vehicle has only done 42000 from new and on the day in question everything was fine, when all of a sudden I couldn't get the key in the barrel! I found that with a tap of my hand ,and I do mean a light tap the key would insert but it was a rough entry, like you say were some of the lock springs suddenly misplaced and poking into the barrel?, dont know, but car started OK,withdrew key, found wheel lock inoperative.!!!
Removed the barrel and key inserted smoothly,no obvious signs of damage to either the barrel or steering column. The white plastic plunger I found was locked in the up position, only when key was turned to drive position, but when key was turned to removal point the white plunger was then free to enable me to press it down by finger when it locked in place flush with rear of barrel!!
Placed barrel back in car (with white plunger locked in down position)found wheel lock was on!, Operated key and started car, then shut down. Wheel lock inoperative.
Once again removed barrel ,the first thing noticeable was that white plunger was in up position. Replaced barrel , Put the key back into in barrel (with now required tap of hand)having not touched the white plunger, the wheel lock was now completely inoperative..

A new barrel, plus new keys, plus new door lock (to match new keys) cured the problem!

Why it happens I have no definite idea, but these are my conclusions, under normal circumstances when everything is working as it should, its my contention that when key is turned to drive position the white plunger is locked UP to prevent wheel lock engaging, this is done by the barrel mechanism. The wheel lock is a spring loaded ring in the steering column which can be locked UP by slight pressure (the white plunger)or will trip Down to lock wheel when pressure released.

So although I couldn't prove it by inspection, I know that the barrel in drive position actively locks the white plunger up to release wheel locking, equally on turning off ignition, the barrel mechanism should retract the white plunger to enable wheel locking to engage. So what ever is going wrong with these ignition units, it is something terminal in the barrel, how else could a replacement barrel etc cure the problem?

Last edited by Caskin; 19th March 2021 at 15:16.. Reason: more info
Old 19th March 2021, 20:09   #55
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Thank you for your reply, I've been out today with a good few stops and starts and I've found as long as I give the ignition a little push after removing the key then all is fine when I go back and the lock does engage. If I don't push it then the key struggles a little to get in, but is still much better for the clean out. Im going to see how it is for a while, but will source a new barrel at some point, I don't fancy being left stranded if it decides to give up completely. Is nice to know I'm not alone with this issue, car has been totally reliable for last 7 years and hasn't asked for much, the few issues I've had have been resolved through this wonderful club and it's helpful and generous members.
Old 20th March 2021, 12:18   #56
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

I have sent you PM regards Derek
Old 13th December 2021, 20:52   #57
canan
Avid contributor

Rover 75 AUTO Connoisseur SE

Unhappy Key wont go in!

I am happy to read that I am not the only person who doesnt understand this issue. I dont know much about cars and no one I know has ever heard of a key not going into the barrel.

Similarly to Blink who started this thread, I had battery issues. Then when I got the car started, took the key out, came out to drive away an hour later.... key won't go into the barrel. I mean, wont go in, not even a little! It's as if its blocked.

From what I read here, the key needs to be in the barrel before a paper clip can be used to withdraw it. Is that correct?

Any ideas why the key wont even get pass the white plastic cover?

What's confusing to me is that the steering does lock. Its now locked.

@Blink - I feel for you Bro. Hope it all worked out.
canan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2021, 13:08   #58
canan
Avid contributor

Rover 75 AUTO Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caskin View Post
A new barrel, plus new keys, plus new door lock (to match new keys) cured the problem!
Hi Caskin,

I have exactly the same issue in exactly the same circumstances. Keys just wont go in without a gentle tap. No previous key issues!

Can you please give me some advice on how to get these ordered and fitted?

Much appreciated.
canan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2021, 14:56   #59
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canan View Post
Hi Caskin,

I have exactly the same issue in exactly the same circumstances. Keys just wont go in without a gentle tap. No previous key issues!

Can you please give me some advice on how to get these ordered and fitted?

Much appreciated.
have sent you "PM" for advice and help...hope it helps, it certainly helped me merry Xmas and a happy new year
Old 27th March 2023, 21:19   #60
Carole N

Rover 75 1.8 Classic Saloon

Default Ignition key difficult to insert - will leaving key in barrel cause problems?

Hello, could anyone give me some advice please? An old problem has recently resurfaced and it’s very concerning.

Lately it has been almost impossible to get the ignition key into the lock on the steering column of my T reg 75. It would just go in a few millimetres but hit something hard. The steering lock is on. For the last two weeks I’ve managed to wriggle the steering wheel gently but firmly towards the left and at the same time carefully try to insert the key after spraying a little WD-40 silicon lubricant into the barrel. It has worked then I’ve managed to get back-and-forth to work but I know it’s getting worse. Someone suggested leaving an ignition key in the barrel full time. I’ve reluctantly done that today and put a steering lock on the steering wheel but I’m wondering if this is wise after all. I read somewhere it may drain the battery.

I also read somewhere, though I can’t find the post again, that’s if left this problem could lock the steering while driving the car!

I’m not able to do very much at all on the car myself because I don’t have the know-how. I’ve owned the car for over 20 years and very reluctant to be beaten by this. The last six months I’ve had one problem after another and it’s been very challenging to get things fixed but one way or another they’ve got sorted. I really don’t want to have to let it go.
Carole N is offline   Reply With Quote