Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th January 2019, 11:41   #21
m2n
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2004 Contemporary SE 2.5 Auto

Thumbs up Helping hand....

Mine passed the MOT today, the tester (whom I know well, as I use the garage regularly) told me headlights were not aligned so he altered and adjusted them for me, rear indicator bulb was flashing white so he changed the bulb(charged me for new bulb) showed me exactly what the advisories were just a little corrosion.... and passed her.......
She was the: 103,715th 75 to run off production line, out of 112,381
She was the: 382nd 75 2.5 V6 Contemporary SE to be made out of 686
She was the: 1,415th 75 in Firefrost Red (code CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75's
m2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 12:02   #22
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
OMG! £76 for nut tightening! Taking the michael. She had a fab mot history until this. The thing is who do you trust these days? I want an mot to keep me safe but lately its hard to find garages that also use common sense and are fair
A lot of local councils have an MOT facility .They are fair and accurate in their findings .More importantly .They do not carry out any repairs and are not looking for work .I have used council facilities in the past and found them extremely fair .
Another point to note .Don't be taken in by cheap or free MOT,s As its usually a sprat to catch a mackerel!After over 40 years in the trade I have a good insight to how things work.
tantallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 12:08   #23
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
David.
How about trying this, go by what Andy is saying as he knows the car, wipe all the grease of the brake lines, tighten you the said nuts, get the wheel off and inspect the rear arm your self it maybe only surface rust if so scrap it off and treat it, if the arm is corroded to the effect it as holed then change it, sort out the spring.

Then if you think some garages are maybe looking for work then take it to a council mot place they only mot cars and do not do any work.
Sorry Didn't see this post .However it does reiterate what I said .The problem now with computerization the faults are on the system .However if you feel the findings are unjust contact the appropriate authorities and ask them to inspect the vehicle .In essence you have nothing to lose.
Old 10th January 2019, 12:32   #24
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

It doesnt matter if they are on the system. I had an unfair mot on my V6 and Davelincs took it and did it elsewhere repairing the real faults and it passed. Dave was obviously correct as animal the new owner just got another pass!
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 12:38   #25
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

I appreciate that it doesn't matter for a test pass but .It matters if the tester is highlighting faults that don't exist .
Old 10th January 2019, 12:39   #26
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
She was also waxoyled Andy. Dave has the bill as when it was done I wasnt fit to do it myself.
All this faffing about with mot advisories is just for the authorities to get the idea that the mot tester is doing his job. A while ago mine was supposed to have all rusty brake pipes. NO IT DID NOT. I know because I had checked them. If they had been in anyway defective, I would have either done them myself ( that way you know they are done to a good standard) if you are proficient. When it came up the next year, I asked them to show me. They said not to worry, it’s only an ‘ observation’. And the following year it came up again. The underside of my car is inspected every 6 months for anything that is amiss, by me. One month after getting my car everything under the car had been checked. All was ok and everything that could be Waxoyled was, and is done again in 6 months time. It is done in February before the mot which is due in March. And damn cold doing it it is, but it is done regardless. Last mot I was told that the chassis around the rear dampers had got corrosion. I had only fitted new rear dampers not long ago, and nothing was there. Oh no they was not, and to prove it to myself, I took the damper off and had a look myself. Cleaned the Waxoyle off, and nothing whatsoever was there. The advisory system in my opinion is a complete waste of time because most people take no notice of it. It should either PASS or FAIL.its just another level of b.......cracy. A bit like when you have got your pass certificate, you could be stopped going home and it is sent for a new test and FAILS.I believe in mot’s but not the rubbish surrounding them. PASS or FAIL, end of.
Old 10th January 2019, 18:52   #27
Bogbrush82

BMW X3 2.0D

Update - Taking the car to a local garage tomorrow to see if things are as bad as they say on the failure sheet. He nearly had a heart attack when I told him how much I was quoted for.
Old 10th January 2019, 21:47   #28
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Dave
Make sure you get under the car too so you can see exactly what's what.

For info i always take my cars to Gills Transport just under the bridge past the ashes, they only do MOTS so no interest in finding work and give a fair MOT

Scott
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2019, 07:05   #29
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

The only other way to look at this is that as an ex Rover dealer they knew the cars weak points and knew where to look more closely. At £75 to tighten a nut they are having a laugh still though. My Toyota dealer isnt that bad!
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2019, 11:44   #30
Bogbrush82

BMW X3 2.0D

Just come back from the garage:

It is as bad as Summit said.

Worse of all the loose nut on the anti-roll bar linkage is because the linkage itself is broken.

However he did say that If I can find the parts myself he can fit them all for £150.

So now I'm on the lookout for:

Offside rear suspension arm
Offside rear coil spring
Nearside front upper anti roll bar linkage
Offside rear anti-roll bar linkage
both front suspension arms